Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The most stunning thing I've ever seen!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Apr 25, 2006.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

So me and my friend were out with our pellet guns (5 acres) plinking at birds. They hit the side of the house, then perch there and cheep and chirp and ****ing squawk in the wee hours, and I hate it. Anyway, there's a robin sitting on a scrap barrel about 20 yards up from us, and we each shoot at it. We miss. Yeah, I know, we're horrible shots. This bird takes off, flies past us, and lands behind an old scrap loader we have.

We start going around to find it, when all of the sudden I hear this SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! This goddamn hawk comes streaking down to where the robin had flown around to. A second later, the robin comes flapping around the corner at us wild as hell, with the hawk in close pursuit. They have a short (very short) fight 5 feet from us, and the hawk carries the damn robin off into the sunset! This whole event took aboot 3 seconds total. My friend and I looked at each other with these dumbass grins on our faces, and high five like the Dumb and Dumber guys.

****ing glorious. :waytogo:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

You have just experienced nature at it's finest! Food chain; predator vs prey!

Even though it seems petty and insignificant, that was a glorious event. Life continuing at the expense of life!

The simple irony:bow:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

this pretty much sums it up right here:rolleyes:

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

That is the most awesome story I have ever heard.

:bow:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

awesome!

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

TSK TSK, I hope you planned to eat this bird or save your animals from its vicious attack...Bad green bunny bad...

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

damn dude, wish you had of gotten that on film. would have been sweet.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

that rocks

we used to go fishing/camping at this lake, there was a osprey cupple that lived on the lake on the back side where we fished at
    we used to just sit there and watch them fish, it was awsome

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Awesome, I almost got into a wreck last year because of a hawk going after a rabbit. Its awesome to see the nature machine turning her gears.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Save the dog from the vicious robin? Dude, I'm telling you, I kill because they annoy. People should take a lesson here... :deal: :haha:

I wish I had it on video too, but it was so fast!

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

word

On a similar note, I was out hunting deer, and just sitting real quiet on a hillside. I sat for about an hour an a half, watching all the critters. I watched a Redtail Hawk for a while. And then, about 50 yards away, a covey of quail was flying from bush to bush. Thawk saw them too, 'cause as they flew between bushes, one at a time, the hawk came screaming down and collided with one in mid-air. It was BAD ASS, there was a BIG cloud of feathers, reminded me of a cartoon. Tha hawk took the quail to the ground and pounced on it and ate it, right there. Fifteen hughe bucks could have walked right by me, I had my glasses glued on the hawk the whole time he ate. Eventually he picked up what was left and flew off. Amazing, I felt like Marty Stouffer.

I have seen a Redtail swoop down and grab a mouse here in the city, I also saw one grab a small rabbit on the airfield at San Francisco International Airport. This one kept picking up the rabbit in it's talons, lifting it abpout 20 feet off the ground, and dropping it on the asphalt, then diving down and pouncing on it.

So true.

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One of my favorite fishing stories is;

An old friend and I went trout fishing on a New River tributary in the mid 90’s. I was trying to teach a few of the basics and let him fish the best holes. I just walked way around him as I worked my way upstream. He fished a long boulder littered run, and didn’t get a single fish. I couldn’t believe he didn’t, and was pointing out some places that hold fish. I noticed an Osprey sitting on a dead limb, high over the stream; maybe 100-150 yards downstream, it was open overhead through this part of the stream. He had just fished this whole length, as we were looking at the Osprey, he dropped off the limb, dove for the water, spread out his wings just as he touched the whitewater and snatched a 12-15 inch Rainbow trout! It was just flopping in his talons as he flew straight upstream at us. Just as he got to us, at head height, he saw us and broke left and into some trees, to eat his lunch we presumed! Amazing…………….John got beat fishing a trout stream by a local………………………………..bird.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats cool to see isn't it? my neighbor had a bird feeder 2 years ago and one night after work we were bsing at the fence. there was a bunch of sparrows eating when all the sudden a hawk flys down grabs one and heads for the power line.:eek1: all the sparrows pals went after him swoping and diving at the hawk but it didn't work,he just flew off with the little guy sgueeling.:laugh: also,5 years ago at work .when we could still blow stuff up with bombs. we blew a microwave up with a 2 1/2 incher.a hawk must have been flying over at the same time cuz a mouse landed pretty close to where we were standing.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds really cool. I've seen them dive down, but could never really tell if they caught anything.

16. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Every now and then the Owl in the woods by our house tries to get at our hamsters, the only problem is they hang out in an aquarium in the bay window in the kitchen. We will be watching TV and hear a thump and they jump, when we look in the driveway we can see him just sitting there but by the time we get outside he flies up to the trees.

17. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

We've got some (barn?) owls around here too. Heard one of them grab something pretty good sized, from the sound of the scream tonight...

18. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used to work on a farm during the summer and when I would cut hay all the little field mice would run around trying to avoid the cutter. I would chase them down and suck them trough the mower and watch em fling out the back. real mean I know but i was chasing one and a hawk swooped down and picked up a mouse right before it went into the mower. I thought I was gonna get the hawk. those things are fast.

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

When I was in highschool at our river farm whenever we worked ground a hawk would sit on the fence posts and watch, every round he would move down a couple posts. Was neat to see him swoop down and snatch something.

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Cool story. I love that stuff.

I had to drive to Denver to pick up a new truck Sat. and I saw this Bald Eagle pacing me for a second right around New Castle, all of a sudden he dives into the Colorado River and comes up with a pretty decent sized trout, there were some flyfishermen right there in a drift boat just mesmerized by it too. Almost ran my rental car off I-70.