Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Mother of All Polls... help the jek-ster pick a car!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jul 25, 2006.

?

which Chevy Aveo do I buy my wife?

1. 2006 LT (bling version, bit more ca$h)

81.9%
  2. 2007 LS (barebones, bit less ca$h)

18.1%
  1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok, my wife needs a new car. She recently got a new job and makes a lot more $ now, and I'd like to reward her for a) that, b) putting up with me being a cheap azz all the time. :grin: Anyway, I've got it narrowed down to two options...

2006 Aveo LT

or

2007 Aveo LS

The 2006 is more spendy MSRP, but offers 0.0% interest while the 2007, the dealer will be less likely to "deal" since they just came out recently and the '07 would be bare bones. The difference in price is $36 a month or $1296 total. For that, I'd get:

15" alumin wheels instead of 14" steel
    power windows 'n' doorlocks
    CD/MP3 player with premium 6 speaker sound blah blah
    remote keyless entry
    cruise control
    nicer seat material (it IS nice!)
    and a powered/tinted sun roof.

Of the features above, the cool stereo would be nice because I'd prolly end up buying the wife one at some point down the road if it didn't come with a nice one. Cruise would help with hwy mpg. Bigger rims might help a lil with lateral stability over the smaller ones... and AL is always nice. :grin: Of course, all this goodness costs more... but at least $700+ wouldn't be going to the bank in the form of interest...

right now I'm leaning, very slightly towards the '06 with da bling... but I dunno... :confused:

Anyway... the $13000-ish question is... WWCK5D?

j

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

3. jekbrown

ok... but you didn't actually vote in the poll... is it working? :confused:

j

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The poll is working but my brain isn't. Fixed it.

5. jekbrown

ok cool... is there a reason? Did you buy the barebones car one time and regret it later or...? Just wondering what peoples thought process is behind their votes...

j

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I vote for option 3.
    Wait a bit and GM should be doing the employee pricing thing again, probably save a couple grand. Wifes happy and most of all cheap azz is happy.......

7. jekbrown

you have some inside scoop on this? :thinking:

main problem here is that we only have one working car right now.. and the result is that we have to bum rides and drive each other around. My work/sleep/driving around schedule right now hardly includes any sleep. If employee price is 2 months off, I'd prolly die b4 it got here...

j

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

an Aveo is a cheap car no matter how you look at it, might as well get the nicer one. it'll also help on resale value later on down the road.

i wouldnt bet on employee pricing and 0% going on at the same time though.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Same warranty? The higher end version should hold resale value better than the lower end model. Of course, the BOSS would like all the fancy stuff better.:D :D

10. jekbrown

yeah, my wife is pretty economical... she doesn't care to much about the bling rims or whatever. She'd enjoy th mp3/premium sound prolly more than anything else on the car. They do have the same warranty. Not tooo worried about the resale value really. We'll prolly keep this thing a loooong time (ie till its engine blows up?). I don't like buying any more big ticket items than I have too!

j

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well Chrysler is doing it right now and all one needs to do is look back at last summer when all 3 of them did it.

12. jekbrown

I don't even know what the employee price was on the Aveo. Its a very low mark-up car really. Edmunds.com gives ya all the skinny on MSRP vs invoice vs what average people in your area pay. Invoice and what peeps pay isn't much different. I know dealers get financing kick backs and "hold back" cash... but really, if you bargain hard, they ain't makin' much. Not that I care.

Since the '07s are coming I'd definitely have more bargaining leverage with the '06... there isn't much pressure to "get cars off the lot" that arrived within the last week. Wonder if insurance would be any different in price? 1 year newer vs bling options? hmmm.

j

13. jekbrown

wow, so far its 4-0... yikes! is no one else out there a cheapskate?

j

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Were all cheap, but Jason Your on a whole different level when it comes to being cheap. You could probably teach migrant farm workers how to lower their living expenses:haha: :D

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ummm...... O% interest is pretty much a no brainer. Right now.. The end of the month is the best time to buy a car. Go down there and cut your own deal at 0%. Pick a price you want to afford and be prepaired to sit there all day tying up the salesmans time till you get your deal.
    Why buy your wife a bare bones car??? Go for a few extras. She deserves some comfort.

16. jekbrown

wait... no one else here schedules when they "bomb the harbor" around their work hours so they can use free TP? :confused: :thumb: :grin:

I've always had a "save a little, spend a lot" type of mindset... meaning, save on little crap every single day (no starbucks or "fries with that") which enables you to buy cool big ticket items when you want them (like new cars for the wife).

As far as the timing... it is a pretty good time. Its the end of the month, and that model year is ending... and its 0.0% on them. It will hardly ever get better than right now. Ahhh. If only there was a '06 automatic LS trim Aveo within 500 miles. lol!

j

17. jekbrown

can-can goes with the barebones 2007... hmmm.. wonder why? :thinking:

j

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why not buy a low milage used one and let someone else take the hit on the depreciation? if you're such a cheap ass, why would you even consider a new car considering the drop in value as soon as you sign on the dotted line? :confused:

also, rather than ask CK5 what they think, why not ask the wife? after all, she is going to be the one driving it every day, right?

19. jekbrown

Because its what my wife wants. Also, chevy doesn't offer the longest warranty on these cars... I'd rather get all of it and not the last year of a warranty (if it even transfers). Lastly, I have $1000 of GM Card earnings that can only be applied to new vehicles. The last couple of reasons aren't worth much really... but the 1st is.

Because she would probably drive either one and be happy and I'd like to surprise her (as much as that is possible).

now... just vote already! ;) :thumb:

j

20. jekbrown

if it was for me, I'd go cheap... but its not and my wife has earned it. Another way of looking at it is this... she hardly ever shops for anything. She has like 3 pairs of shoes and they call cost less than $20. She doesn't even like expensive food. lol! I imagine even with a new car, I'll be coming out ahead of things in the long run.

j