Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the new 2006 z06

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nerraw117, Mar 28, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i hope you all have seen pics and specs of the new z06 *drools* 500 hp 427 ci, how you think it would perform againt the viper? i have a dodge friend that we always rival.

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I think it will cockslap the viper all over the place. It is almost entirely carbon fiber and aluminum. The floor is even made of balsa wood and carbonfiber laminates to save weight over that oh-so-heavy fiberglass of yesteryear. Its the coolest car ever.

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

it si 206 pounds lighter then the viper, i smell as smoking in the 1/4 mile!

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Afro the standard vette has the same floor, but I still think this car will smoke a viper on the track. But only time will tell.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It will not just walk all over the viper like so many seem to think (and i dont just mean here). Will it give it a run for its money, you bet. Will it out handle it on the track, possibly, stranger things have happened. Smoke it in the 1/4 mile? I had to laugh at that one. Im sure the potential is there to squeak out a victory, but I doubt it will beat it, and its sure not going to just blow it out of the water.

Remember, the Viper's body is all composite as well, along with most of the undercariage and running gear being aluminum. Not to mention it produces 50 more ft/lbs of torque and has a much flatter curve from 1500 RPM on up.

They are rival cars, but i dont think either will dominate the other overall. The SRT/10 vipers are mean cars, both on and off the track.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You know the Viper crew are doing things too make the Viper meaner yet in responce to the new Corvette. I like seeing things like this.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Too bad car companies only care about making super cars and econo boxes nowadays and there is no mid priced muscle war anymore

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i saw it on some spike tv where they actually ran both of them, the viper ran like a even 12 sec, and the vette ran a 11.27

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Will the C6 Z06 slap the Viper around? Most likely not. Will the C6 Z06 beat the Viper on/off the track and in the 1/4? Yes, as the numbers posted above pretty much prove. Another thing to consider is the driveability factor. The C6 Z06 is a car you could actually drive everyday if you wanted to. I don't own a Viper but I don't think you'll find any Viper's that can get these kind of mileage numbers.

city driving: 16 mpg
    EPA highway driving: 22 mpg

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I would really like to know how they got a Z06 to run nearly 3/4 of a second faster than GM and the viper 1/4 second slower than everybody else who has road tested one. Especially when NOBODY else has road tested a ZO6 yet, and these guys already had one on TV. Considering the first one rolled off the production line February 4th that doesnt give much time to get one on TV already. Im a little skeptrical, no offense.

11. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

no thats cool, i didnt believe it either. but i saw like the last 8 mins of it so maybe something happened prior.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

possibly a pre-production run?

13. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

kinda on topic...look what i got to beat up this weekend :D . note the signs on the back wall of the garage lol :confused:

000_0326.JPG

000_0327.JPG

000_0328.JPG

000_0332.JPG

000_0329.JPG

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah... then look at the other GM product in the garage (the Olds Silhouette minivan).
    :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

vette? bah, the V10 viper owns all. Its the only car you can buy for less than $100k that isn't even really trying till you get past 100mph. Ford tried with the GT... it was faster at 0-60, super light and quick etc... but HIGH speed is where the Viper owns, and it won the 1/4 mile. What I like about the Viper is that they didn't make it an ultra light with a V8. The Viper is big, heavy and its engine is a monster... just like classic muscle cars. Personal preferance, but I'll take the dodge.

j

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

whats the new vettes going for? what about the zo6? i think they are both awesome cars, i'd pimp either one. there's two vipers tho right? the rt/10, and original?whats that one called? i remember the viper being alot wider, barely fit between the lanes. saw an rt/10 the other day, about the same size as the vette

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dollar for dollar, the Vette is a better value. plus, its a GM product.

Vette full options... $55K
    Viper STARTING AT... $85K

spend the other $30K on mods for the Vette, the Viper wont even be able to consider matching the performance.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

started BSing with someone at work about this Vette, that got me linked to the GT I posted in the other thread, apparently it was $240k and he had it shipped from Tx to Long Island...

I personally prefer the Vette for heritage. I wouldn't kick a Viper off my lawn, but if I had the cash, I'd buy a vette. I've loved them and Camaro's since I was a kid, and have watched each new gen come out, although I've trailed off the last few years.

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You're a train jockey!

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

He could cut his commute down from 5 minutes to 30 seconds with a Vette :D

It should be noted that I believe the ZO6 option this year will be about $70K

I know personally I can't afford any of these so I can't say I would take any of them :D