Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The new chevy diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Dec 24, 2004.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

i heard that the new chevy diesel is going to have 700lbs of torque!!!! is this true, does anyone have any links or anything spy pictures or something???

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Internet rumor. If you look arround you will also see that Dodge is rumored to be going with a powerstroke for 2006 and GM is gonna put a cat in the lt duty pickups, they've been saying that one for about 4 years now. I would ignore it.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You forgot Joe, Ford owns Cummins if you want to spread ALL the rumors. :rolleyes:

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

There is a diesel project that GM has been playing with that debut at the SEMA show but if I recall correctly it was like 600 ft. lbs. And they called it a Limited HO truck....

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ford owns Cummins??

I wonder why Ford used IHC diesels in their trucks if they own Cummins??:confused:

(maybe they made more $$ selling the cummins to Dodge??):confused:

Oh well,Ford does a lot of strange things!!:crazy:

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ford does not own any part of Cummins, he was just kidding.

7. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First they'll have to come up with a tranny that can have a chance of survival behind 700 lb/ft. The Allison is only rated for 600 and has a high failure rate behind tweaked Duramax's. :(

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

their bigger trucks use Cummins motors. Ford guys like to talk crap on Cummins motors but when Ford puts a motor in their F650s guess whats an option :rolleyes:

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, from what I've seen, the Allison isn't far from being just that. FWIR, the main failure point is the Converter clutch and the C2 apply pressure is not sufficient. With nothing more than a good single disk converter and TransGo shift kit, they are living quite happily behind DMaxs producing over 900 ft/lbs and around 500 hp, but then you get into full custom ATS and Suncoast build-ups to go further. And my stock Allison is still holding it's own against just over 450 and around 700 ft/lbs for now (turned it down a bit to keep the trans alive till I can upgrade). Then again I've got it set to de-fuel shifts and back out if slippage is detected, and I never do stalled launches or 4x4 passes either. Stock wouldn't last long like that...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ford does not own any part of Cummins anymore. They did...but they sold their stock long ago. Everyone still seems to think they own Cummins though...

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the worthless secondhand info :bow: I can read dodgeram.org too.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They have 605 ft/lbs for 2005. The Alison does have problems after modding the engine, but a quick 5K spent on an ATS tranny will cure that!

14. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Ford does not own any part of the CUMMINS ISB(whats in the dodges). only a percentage of the big cummins motor division.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

How do you know nowadays??

Well,the way everyone is buying out one another,and merging,who can keep up with who owns what anymore??:confused: --ford owns part of volvo,mazda,and jaguar,and chrysler is partly owned be damlier,and mercedes is mixed in there somewhere(at least last I heard!)--its hard to know exactly what your driving anymore!!..:crazy:

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

There is no "big motor division". There is just Cummins, and ford is not a controlling shareholder, if they even are at all anymore.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ford does not own any part of the cummins corporation and the ISB is owned by their corp, just like the rest of their engines.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Been on the different diesel boards lately and have read the same stuff.

Dodge will never use the navistar engine, at least any time soon. Ford will not see a cummins or anything else for that matter because I hear a new 6.4 navistar engine could be in the works and if it follows the 6.0 that sums up the use of Navistar for a few more years. I don't know what the deal is with GM and a supposed cat power plant but knowing GM they won't use something that is simple and effective like a C7 with a 6k coiled D60 under it....if they ever do though they will have me as a customer again. :) But I'm sure they will stick with a V8 diesel, IFS and probably be the first to go IRS in an HD pickup. I heard that GM supposedly considered a Cat inline 6 and even experimented and produced a few cat powered GM trucks but the feedback was that the cat was too heavy up front and too loud (wussies). :mad:

Bottom line... IMHO Nothing is going to change between the big three except for the ECM wars that they are currently in.

19. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The bigger trucks, you get an option as to what motor you want.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

NO!