Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the new guy with a problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Aug 3, 2001.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

I just recently bought an 88 K5, i put a 4" suspension and running 35 BFG M/T's. I got a 350 TBI, 700R that is weak, 342 gears that are not enough and a warn winch up front. ITs a very good lookin blazer but needs more power and money put into it. Im havin some problems that I was wanting to see if someone out there could help me out with. Im getting an intermittent code for the throttle position sensor showing low voltage, the problem comes and it goes its not all the time and i replaced the sensor about a month ago so i dont know if i bought a bad one or if it caused by something else? Another problem is it likes to run hot, I do alot of driving on the interstate and after about an hour the thermostat reads way over the 210 mark. Any kind of advice on the problems or just on my K5 would be appreciated.
    thank ya
    the new guy from TN.

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I can't help with your engine problems I havn't got that far on mine yet so I havn't learned anything about it but... Welcome to the best site on the net. Fill out your profile if you don't mind and a doctor will be with you shortly. heheh

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Any time you have a low voltage code, it's a good idea to chase all of the wiring and look for shorts and/or corrosion in the terminals. For some reason, TPS harnesses are especially touchy about corrosion.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. gill

gill Registered Member

call me stupid but how do i setup my profile?

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

35 w/342? try a lower gear ratio something like a 411, that should get you into the more desirable power ranger of your engine.
    about the money, well can't help you with that.
    don't know much about engine codes and stuff, but i do know about corrosion. check your connections unplug and plug everone of them that you can. check for corrosion. you may want to add some kind of anti-corrosion gue, something that will keep the Oxegen away. I use waterproof grease(not sure if it's good for it or not, but keeps the water out).
    running hot, is your thermostat in good condition? it may be a good time to replace it. also if you don't have one put one in, if not your water will run too fast through the system that it wont have enough time to cool.

go to the "control panel" up on top and edit your personal profile.

and welcome to the board, i'm sure there will be more posts.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

6. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

I thought when you adjust the throttle position sensor, you are regulating the amount of voltage for the sensor. Could it be that the sensor needs to be re-adjusted or fine tuned?

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Quickie, did you disconnect the battery then connect back? This will clear the code. Also, the TPS might need finetuning like another member stated.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Also, give the radiator a good flush. Dont just drain the radiator though, get kit to do it because if you just loosen te petcock on the radiator, you wont get all the fluid out of the block. After you flush it, check the therostat, you can do this by putting it into a pot of boiling water and see if it opens. therostats are pretty cheap and so are the gaskets. Jusat dont forget to put sealant on both sides of the gasket or else it will leak.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If your truck has overheated before, your most likely messed up the thermostat.....the advice on this site is pretty good and most of it comes from experience....you'll learn pretty quick who and what to pay attention to....great Buncha folks in here....the Tire/gearing thing is a constantly being addressed in here....most will advise you to upgrade your rear 10B to a 14B...lotsa info on 700R rebuilds/upgrades......Welcome to the Addiction...Get out your Wallet......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the boards!!!!!! You can make you changes to your profile in the control panel menu.

To figure out gears goto <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4lo.com>www.4lo.com</a> there are tons of useful calculators for your disposal. Most of us are going to preach the 4.56 gears with you 700R4. And more over the need to change to 1 ton running gear. All of that is up to your budget and time. I would change to a min. of 4.10 for your OD if you want to keep your tranny happy. Other than that, there have been plenty of hardcore wheelers that have built thei 10 bolt and 12 bolt rearends to last some serious trails. Most common axle beef is moser axles. The key to rearend survial is 35" tires size and control of the "stupid" foot. Hope this little bit helps you out.

11. gill

gill Registered Member

thank you for all of the helpful info. i have flushed my radiator and replaced the thermostat to a 180 but it still doesnt seem to help any. and about the gears im in college and strugling more than likel;y will have to wait till next summer if my tranny will live that long or unless you know of an inexpensive way or person that can do them cause i have never messed with gears before. and about the tps how does it adjust it seemed like it only went on one way and the problem seems to be intermittent it will go days sometimes without messing up.

12. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

If it is still ovewr heating, check your fan to make sure that the clutch on it is working properly, im unsueexactly how to do this, maybe someone else can help. try doing a seach for clutch fan

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Gears are cheeper than a rebuilt 700R4! If you can't afford to do the front and rear you can do just the rear for now (and not use 4wd). If you still can't afford it at least put in a aux. trans. cooler (if you haven't already) and a temp gage. 700R4's HATE HEAT!

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

14. gill

gill Registered Member

i have the tranny cooler but no temp gauge the only place i know to put a temp gauge is in the pan unless you know of a better place

15. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Quick gear fix...........find someone ....or buy ....some used 31's or 33's........till you can afford the lower gears.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

16. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    Before I say anything, I'm also new to K5s and never got my hands greasy untill I bought my 87 Blazer 350 TBI six months ago. I had what sounds like the same problem. I did three things and so far problem solved. I cleaned my ECM ground, mine is on the intake manifold just to the left of the water neck. I replaced the ground at the rear of the engine (passenger side) and adjusted the TPS back to 0.5 volts. Mine had three or four wires. For me the blue one was the reference wire and the black a ground. I loosened the TPS screws a little the moved the TPS untill I got a reading of 0.5 then I carefully tightened the screws back and rechecked. Like I said, I dont know if I have the same set up or not and I'm a paramedic not a mechanic so I may be way off. Good luck hope it helps

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Welcome to the Heartbeat of the Internet!

Like someone else said, change your gears!! Maybe even trade in the 35's for 33's until the wallet widens up enough to do a gear upgrade, but I don't know how that might look with your lift or anything, though...
    What code are you getting exactly? I've found the Oxygen sensor circuit can also trigger a TPS code. Does this occur only when accelerating uphilll or with a load (with 35's and 3.42's, that might be the load)? Try to remember that last time the O2 sensor was changed, it should be done with tune-ups or like every 60K miles. Maybe also try resetting your ignition timing to factory...
    Like everyone said, too, check out all that wiring. Groundpoints are a real good place to start.

As for your cooling sys, that's real odd sounding, unless you're talking real slow moving traffic. I'd expect it to reach normal op range and stay there, maybe even run a little cooler at high speed (more air flowing through radiator).
    The radiator is cake to take out, literally 2 bolts, 3 hoses, and 2 steel lines to remove, then it just lifts right out. Blast some water or compressed air through the fins from both sides and surprise yourself with how much muck comes out...
    I just did this a few weeks ago, and the truck literally runs at like 170! And does NOT heat up in traffic anymore like it used to. My problem was the tranny cooler the Previous Owner had installed was leaking slow enough not to notice, but fast enough to trap and build up a thick layer of dusty sludge on the AC condensor and radiator fins. I fixed the leak, too...
    BTW, check out the thermostat and fan first....

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

18. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Hello. Im new to CK5 also. Regarding temp gauge, autometer and b&amp;m have fittings that go in the cooler line for the senders. I have a b&amp;m deep alum. pan on my 78 and do not want to put a hole to fit the 1/2" pipe thread fitting in the pan. Just got to get off my butt and put it in. Good luck.

19. gill

gill Registered Member

thank you for the info im going to try those diagnosis. it seems to happen at random times like when i stop from driving a while or when i just start it up sometimes it will go days and sometimes it will last for days with the service engine light on and high idle. what should the idle speed be set at? I set it at 550 right know.