Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The New Monster Garage Format

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daleearnhardt01, Sep 29, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

This week they started the new format. They got a new garage too. But basically they now have 5000 to spend but they are limited to 1 freebie ONLY. That should make the show legitimate in my opinion. They mustve listened to our complainin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now the show is gonna be awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

good now jess can earn that $100,000 per show /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The show will be more realistic now.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

right on that should make the show much better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Looks like Jesse is trying to do something about his image too, giving that Mercedes to the crippled dude like that. On the other hand, we're supposed to feel sorry for a guy that's paralyzed because he wrecked his car while driving 137 MPH? Ummm, that's called geting what's coming to you...

The new format is way better, not so sure about the kinder gentler Jesse James, but the spending limit and onlyh 1 freebie is definately a cool idea. I did notice that they're pimping products just as much, I bet the show still doesn't actually pay for any of that stuff.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like some fine tuning to help regain ratings from the 'disgruntled'...

Personally I like Jesse just the way he was, at least he was a straight shooter and said what he meant and meant what he said. Really, why should he have to mainstream his personality?

Rene

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Back when the first show about him came out he came off as a straight shooter that just knew who he was and what he was all about, but after he started getting all popular it went to his head, like he thought he was way to cool for school, so to speak. It was like he thought working with the peons in the Monster Garage was beneath him. I dunno, I thought he was a cool cat after the first two Motorcycle Madness shows, but Monster Garage has made me think of him as kind of a dickwad.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Monster Garage has made me think of him as kind of a dickwad

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep....'zactly... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. ramjet gmc

i think you hit it on the head

the pt cruser was lame but what jessy did not show up he was acting like a a$$

and jess is part of the build team so do some work and on one fo the shows the bus? jess was yelling ant one dude for saying it was his crew and jess said it was his crew -- jess is right but if he was ther and working it would not be a problem

11. tRustyK5

I just watched the PT loser episode the other night. Can't blame the guy for hating the 'challenge', and they did get the basic challenge taken care of in a day so he wasn't wrong to bitch either. I also recall him showing the guys the ins and outs of forming metal with the hand operated roller hammer thing. Pretty impressive each time I see it.

On the bus episode, again I gotta side with Jesse on that one. Anyone that shows up and calls the build team 'their crew' is asking to have their ass handed to them. The guy that left was a doorknob...

They do have a limited time to get the challenge done which means there is a lot of work to do. To achieve that you need good planning and a lot of not so "TV exciting" type of work. Dollars to Donuts that's what Jesse is doing when you don't see him doing anything. To have someone try and claim the crew as his is counter productive and should be squashed as directly and quickly as possible.

Anyways, I'm not saying the guy is some demi-God of coolness...just that to some extent the nature of the show and maybe some unfortunate editing choices probably help shape the somewhat negative image we're seeing now. Discovery channel loves it when he says something imflammatory or ignorant, and that stuff always gets shown.

The two failures they've had showed to me that he does take this stuff somewhat seriously. He isn't an actor and does seem geniunely pissed when they fail. The sand rail was dead at least a thousand rounds before he stopped, and I don't really recall him smiling while killing it.

I guess not everyone is gonna like him, but just the fact that he seems to hate the TV dorks is enough for me. He also hates chipmunk costumes a lot...LOL

Rene

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

am i the only one who didnt give a [darn] if they got freebies or stuck to the budget?? i just watch it to see all the fabrication work and because its a cool show. why does everyone bitch so much about it?

13. ramjet gmc

Well I feel that the lack of free things will lead to more creative projects like something we might try like the chain drive 4x4 corvette I like that

14. ramjet gmc

Wow do we see this on 2 difference sides /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The pt car did work in 1 day but it was not finished to me finished means is going to the painter and they took the hole week. And I did hate that build to as a note

The bus /boat -- Jessie was out for 1 day on a celb car race and 1 man had to take the project on and be a leader and the Monday night arm chair quarter back was back and did not like it --- I think I got that right

And the custom tin work he is good but I was to see more him when he gave a crap like the VW boat and the front of the rock crawer

And to jess him self the most important thing on the car is NOT THE TAILPIPES /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

To sum it up jess has talent show it to us and dump the better then us attud /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

So Rene is #1 in my book and jess #12 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I do like that show on fx driveshaft

15. tRustyK5

LOL, funny stuff. Sometimes talented people come off as assholes...

One thing I do see almost every show is that the only thing that impress's Jesse is hard work and a willingness to do the crappy unfun parts. The guys doing the bling stuff, or the cool jobs get the camera time...the guy building a complicated assembly that is nothing but a PITA gets respect.

I dunno how many people here have worked or do work in a 'shop'...but I do and see a lot of the same mentality daily. I've been the lowly peon doing the crap work and I recently filled in for the foreman for almost 2 months while he was working on a job out of town. Both jobs can be tough...the foreman job looks a bunch easier but the prep and planning end of things is draining. Even a small crew of 4 or 5 guys takes quite a bit to keep productively busy.

Granted on the show the guys are sort of expected to do the planning and stuff themselves...but Jesse still quarterbacks the projects. By the time he does his bit I'm sure he is enjoying the single task...

Anyways, I enjoy the show. Sometimes more than others but overall it's different and mostly pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene