Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The NEW TIPS AN TRICKS THREAD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I know we have posted these before, but i couldn't find it......mainly cause i didn't wanna search for 3 hours... :D

Post up your little tips an tricks ya do.......If its overly complicated, explain it good so us simple folk can understand it.

1. When soldering two wires together, crab a spray can lid, turn it up side down an slice two places in it opposite from each other.......now you can slide your wires in there an solder them.

2. If you like to keep the inside of your rig clean an smellin good, a Bar of soap under the driver an passenger seat is an good cheap air freshner.

Thats all I can think of right now........i know some of ya'll will have some good'ens :-)

LETS HEAR'EM!!

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

A length of PVC pipe that fits inside your raditor hose and 2 hose clamps is good to keep in your truck in case your hose burst's

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I keep a bar of soap in my tool box for small gas tank leaks. I had a crack in my tank that was patched. If the tank was full and sat for a while the patch would start to leak again. Just chisel the epoxy off and rub the bar of soap in the crack and it will stop the leak long enough to get you home and or to apply more epoxy. I have done this several times andd it does work!

Also you can use your hi lift handle on the end of a ratchet to get some extra leverage on those rusted on nuts and bolts.....use lots of PB blaster and or WD-40 :D

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

WD-40 makes a pretty good hand cleaner. Just spray it on your hands and wipe it off. To re-seat the bead on a tire, use a ratcheting tie down strap. Wrap around the tire, start tightening it up as you air it up.

5. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

use a hose attached to intake manifold vacuum to unseat beads on your tires (engine must bee running)

a 1/2" 12pt box wrench works good for popping park brake cable casings out of the brackets (the ones with the 3 little tangs that pop out when installed)

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

a high lift jack handle can be used to sleve a broken tie rod

7. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i heard somthing about using lighter fluid to pop a tire on the bead. never done it though, couple of pry bars and pushing down on the tire while putting air in it always worked for me.

If your ignition switch fails on you when your on the trail, pop the hood and where the wiring harness is there should be a purple wire. If you splice a hot wire to it and have the ignition on, your truck should fire.

If your solenoid fails on the trail you could ethier grab a hammer and give it some good wacks or get a long screw driver, long pry bar or similar and arc the the 3 points on the solenoid it will turn the truck over. but you have to touch all three. if you dont, usually the starter will spin but not engage. make sure theres not alot of fluid around starter because there will be alot of sparks and becareful not to touch the tranny line cuz it will cause a hole.
    if you get a small hole in the radiator fins. melt solder so it drips and drip some on the leak.

dont go playin in the mud as soon as you get to the pit, let your truck cool down a bit to avoid seizing or warping.

you can make a funnel out of a bud light box

beer cans and chicken wire will help seal a new exhaust leak but its only temperory. use more then one can and it will last longer.

red glow sticks usually help to keep the cops off your back if you have lost your tail lights and have to drive home that night

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

if you have trouble finding a vacuum leak, spray some carb cleaner around where the leak could be occurring (while the engine is on) and listen for the engine to choke on the rich mixture... kinda has to be a decent leak though

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Hate those messy oil changes with oil running down your arm and all over the ground?
    Sharpen the end of a large nail and hammer it through the bottom of your oil filter. Loosen the filter a turn or two and let all the oil drain out the filter while you empty the oil in the pan.

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i learned this from a guy i know...

out camping and wheeling...
    get a hole in your radiator from some branches or something..?

go back to your camp site, grab an egg or two..open the radiator cap, crack the egg, pour into radiator, and let the engine run..
    the eggs will boil and fill the hole..

the guy i know, did this to get his heep back home..

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

when drilling out an existing hole use a multiflute or miltitooth countersink as it will self center and not walk on you and make you loose your posistion, and it ramps out the back side of the metal and wont grab and twist your power drill like a drill bit will. step drills work too but the step depth is not deep enough if your part is thicker then the step depth. it will save you a possible broken drill bit or at worst a broken wrist. i have our grind shop grind me custom sizes so when i remount say a bracket that was factory riveted and i drill out the 7/16 rivet hole to 1/2, the stock 1/2 c'sink that measures .510 i had ground to .496/.497 will give a close fit over the bolt to allow no possible movment of a bracket, allmost like a rivet. this only needs to be done where nonmovement is important. im a machinist so i dont like sloppy holes in my women or for my bolts either. :D

DSCN0078.JPG

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

It will actually increase the RPM on the engine a little bit

13. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

i saw that egg trick on an episode of mcgyver once. he used it to plug bullet holes :D

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

no i think he is right, it will kinda choke on it

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

allright someone go pull a vacume line and spray the stuff at it to see what happens so we dont get a piss'in match started here. :D

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've actually done this. Its fun, but not a great idea. We used a long lighter and the tire snapped the end off when it reseated. :eek1:

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Start a poll. :D

18. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

well one time i had the engine running and was spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb, and when i got around to the back, the engine bogged down..thats how i found that the two rear bolts on the carb were a little lose..

so my vote, is that it will bog down :D

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No, the RPM will go up. Something like water will cause it to stumble. Even windshield washer fluid will cause the RPM to go up.

20. koke01

koke01 Registered Member

we reseat car tire beads by spraying starting fluid in the tire, and throwing a match in, but poped on so fast that the wheel balancing weights hit the ceiling, pretty hard. I wouldn't recomend doing it