Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the newest brainstorm straight from "the mad lab"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jul 26, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

my new idea for something completely different is an s-10 blazer 4 door with 6.2 conversion and running on tracks :saweet: seen a couple s-rigs on tracks for snowmobile trails here in maine. thought a 6.2 would be so sweet for one. they look cool and love the snow :D

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Have you priced the tracks yet? :eek1:

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

$5,000 total conversion done locally

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you have realized the added weight will likely make the front end just drop right? I guess tracks will help it float a little, but you certainly won't have the power to do it...

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Wow, that price isn't bad at all. I priced the system thru Matt Tracks years ago. I loved the idea but it was 3 times what you can get it for. Go for it, it would be different. Like to see some pics then definetly.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

wtf? why and why not? I currently know where 3 s-trucks sit with tracks and am positive they have a 4-6 cyl in them.... with the same tracks. so i do not see why there'd be a problem. and yes tracks will help it float a lot. this is why a bulldozer will go places a tractor will not ;) as for power... john deere once apon a time made the 1010 model about 35-40 horse tractor. also came in a crawler model with a bucket. same puny gas motor ;)

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Umm, a John deere isn't a trail snow runner, it was designed for what it did. a 4 and 6 cylinder weigh well under half of what a 6.2L does, I'd be certain of that. My point was, weight is the enemy when trying to float on snow, the best way to overcome it is horsepower, but a 6.2L has weight and not horsepower.

Someone tell me if I am off base here. I know Lance had an article about puting the twin Turbos and the lift on his Cummins rig, he went snow wheeling(with tires mind you) and had to stay in it hard to keep it from sinking right down. This is why my dad won't buy a diesel. I'm not trying to be a dick here, just realisitic, I really don't think a 6.2 is the best option for a snow machine. Especially with the winter vs diesel characteristics.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

actually he did the oppisite to keep from sinking down

9. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Mid mount engine..... :thumb:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

basically just don't listen to me anymore :doah:

though I still don't think a 6.2 is by any means the best choice.

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

im not upset lol but i known people on ck5 to snow wheel the 6.2 nd give them good reviews ;) remember what torque is ;) it does the work hp just keeps t going at a certain point :D

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

/me shrugs

torque of a 6.2 isn't anything real special, spec I can find off hand is 250ft-lbs. Whenever I am snow wheeling I am usually taching some good RPMs, constantly, can't really do that with any diesel option.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well i am illing to bet that you will find that the actual snow cats are diesel powered anyway ;)

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    Go for it!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

15. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i say the 6.2 may not be the best diesel for your idea id say a 4cyl or 3cyl perkins or something but thats just me either way a diesel snow rig wont be the first back to camp i say a mean small block and your set to go

balzer

16. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I sorta agree with the idea of the 6.2 for snow, but also would love to see how much more power it would show in a much lighter vehicle. (s10). After thinking about that for awhile i think with a turbo'd 6.2 in an S10 would do pretty good. My diesel jimmy had no problem in deep snow wheeling this last winter, but most of it, in my opinion, depends on what kinda snow your dealing with. slushy, icy, soft, dry powder, etc....... they all handle differently. Thats just my 2cents.

17. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, and with the rev. limiter you can slap it in first gear and rev the piss out it and not worry about blowing yer engine.

18. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well the wole idea for this is not to be fast or first one back to camp. being fast is all of what the fiero and Crimson Cutter (pirate themed 89 scotsdale k5 w/ 2wd conversion and built 500 caddy) projects will beall about. reliability fuel economy and the torque i believe will out weigh the speed aspect. ;) and yes I know weight is flotations enemy #1. just is easy to use 6. as they are common gm diesel. could use the 4 cyl out of the 4500 style gmc truck... but i have not yet had the time to research cost and parts usage on it all yet :(