Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The news you will never hear on TV.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not sure if you guys remember, but not long ago I posted about a local guy who died in Iraq after a road side bomb exploded(shrapnel etc). Anyway, I have been hanging out with his little brother the past 2 weekends(I was unaware it was him until last night). Now what is the news you won't hear on TV or read in a paper? His little brother is all signed up with the Marines, leaves for bootcamp very soon, and is completely behind going.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good for him! It's refreshing to hear something once in a while about people who aren't afraid to make a difference.

But the bigger question - How do his parents feel about him joining the Corps?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I do not know. I think he joined up previous to his brother's death. I have known him since high school but not very well at all. I will ask sometime. I was wondering about that today, wondering if his parents are now anti-war and here he goes.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My wife and i know a lady who is a lefty bush hater and anti war/ millitary. Guess what both her kids are doing now?
    Daughter just got back from Iraq. She was there driving Humvees and trucks. And is going back.
    Her son is in the Coast guard training to be a rescue diver.

My hat is off to the brave youth of America.

5. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

My sixteen year old son has declared he will enter the Marine Corps after high school. There is about a nine month delay from signing up to going to boot camp. He can sign up the day he becomes a senior in high school, the end of next May. Then he would go in right after graduation.

If he chooses, I will support him 110%. We will acquire a CAR16, the civilian version of the M16. We know a three tour Viet veteran who will teach him to shoot. We will both get certified as scuba divers next summer. When he turns eighteen, he will get the opportunity to become a certified skydiver. He wants to join Force Recon, the advance team that goes in first to scout and snipe. My only wish for him, is whatever he does, be the best he can. Excel. Don't do anything half-way.

We know the risks. We have talked about them. He wants to go into battle. I have joked with him that we are not amphibians. Limbs don't grow back. Everything doesn't heal.

Mom is a good Christian, turn the other cheek type. She's anti-gun, anti-violence. She'll either adjust, and get over it, or make my life hell for 'letting him join'. He'll always be her little boy. But he's a man today.

I have suggested other careers and options. Fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. If I forbid him to join, he will for sure. Things can still change. We'll see.

He's a good guy. I am very proud of him. I don't know how he turned out so well. Must be Mom's influence.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds to me like its not all on mom, he's got a hell of a dad backing him up every step of the way. let me tell you, that's got a lot of pull in a young man's life if his dad is behind him 100% like you are.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it sounds like your son is an outstanding young man. :bow: :bow: you guys did a great job raising him. i,m trying to do the same.my little guy is 4. :D