Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the noise----203 to 205 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74poj, Apr 12, 2005.

1. 74poj

74poj Registered Member

to start off i have a 74 k5 with 350/350/203. it has a noise/vibration that i can't seem to pin down. this is where it gets interseting. driving on a flat surface or going uphill it is fine. driving downhill or after going over a bump it starts making this really awfull grinding noise. there is somewhat of a vibration on the passengers side, but the noise is the worst of it. so far i've changed the front wheel bearings, ball joints, tranny fluid and filter, with no luck. tonight i thought i'd be the cool guy and take off my front driveshaft and get it checked to see if it needed to be balanced. now i'm not to familiar with the 203 t-case, but i understand it has a diff in it. well, i got that front driveshaft disconnected from the front diff and my blazer went rolling into the street. would this be a normal thing for the 203 to do, or does my t-case need to be rebuilt. i've talked with a couple tranny shops in the past for some guidance and none of them seem to think it's a tranny problem. and if i have to re-build the t-case i deffinately want to swap in a 205. any ideas what kind of adapters, who sells them, and how much. or where to get a 205 for that matter. summer's coming and i want to drive with the top off. help......please

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Dude ALWAYS BLOCK YOUR TIRES WHEN WORKING UNDER THE TRUCK!

You wouldn't be able to make your first post on CK5 (welcome BTW) if it had run you over...

If you had it in HI that is a normal thing to happen. If you want to drive it around without the front driveshaft (or the rear for that matter) you will have to put it in HI LOCK.