Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Official Notice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Trout Slaying Expedition '06 is amongst us once again............................

I'm posting this from the staging area for this great event and come tomorrow, I will be away from the computer until late Sunday enjoying the basic joys in life.......................

I will have my cell phone with me so if you must, call but if you interrupt me while engaged in mortal combat with the Rainbow Trout, I will sic Hillary Clinton on you.......................

:haha: :haha: :haha:

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is your choice of weapons for the Trout bashing?

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I usually start off with a mix of Power Bait and Salmon Eggs. I might try worms at some point. If I'm having no luck with that bait, then it's time to stop ****ing around and pull out the flashbangs.:waytogo:

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

:thinking: :whistle:
    In case you didn't know I am a trout master from years past:D I used to slay the little buggers with my little berkley ultra lite on 2 lbs line. I alway had good luck with the power bait and roe as well. I also liked trying little spinners and stuff for more of a challenge. My favorite trout river is probably the Feather River in N. CA. I also used to have a blast fishing for small mouth bass with ultra lite tackle as well.
    So what river you fishing on?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, gonna hit the Red River by Questa. Fishing was excellent there last year, gonna try it again this go round. Might hit the Cimarron River (I think that's what it's called) in Cimarron Canyon. That's what the plan is now, gonna be up there for two full days this time around. Should be getting up there sometime late afternoon tomorrow.................

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The Cimarron runs about 8 miles north of where I work. I need to get out more, maybe I should try it out sometime.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

So I take it there's water in it out that way??????????????:p:

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You're going too make me go out and buy some fishing gear. I haven't been fishing for a while now, and I really want too go out to the lake !!!!!!

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

going to the store to night to pick up some tackle for the weekend. Last weekend I lost 3 of my best lures...

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've found home made 'dynamite' to be quite effective and much, much faster. Less interference with the beer drinking.....

11. dontoe

My favorite in dry weather is Crickets or Grasshoppers, and if I can find any: Wasp larvae, out of the nest. After a Summer shower, I try Canadian Nightcrawlers.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well.....................................................

Total landed: 6
    Total kept: 2
    Total destruction to tackle after palm strike to reel in attempt to get it to release after getting hung up 10 feet in the air: Will know after I replaced the 20 year old reel that broke because it has a plastic housing.

The fishing in this area is getting to be too much work. The six I caught were in 3 spots that I hit over 2 solid days. Probably logged 2-3 miles foot travel, including some fun walking through one of those areas that make you think about all of those stories about bear attacks. Dense trees, brush. Weak hand holding pole, strong hand ready to pull out the .40 just in case. At least I didn't have to worry about the Silverbacks or brown bears, just those scrawny black bears so I felt safe and secured in my lack of firepower..................

New thread with pictures to follow probably tomorrow.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wow sounds like the fish should be scared...........
    Sounds like the fish had nothing to fear...........
    :D :haha: :D :haha:

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, fishing in this area is almost rocket science. First, one most locate the fish. Usually goes pretty easy since I was pulling them in with either Powerbait or Salmon Eggs when I would find them. I couldn't find my hole of doom from last year.

But the two that I did keep, that was a freaking workout.

First, we have to remember the tackle dilema. My reel broke yesterday morning. That reel had served me well for twenty years. I was probably the maddest I had been in ages over that. My dad offered my one of his backups. Well that's all fine and dandy, but his backup was setup for the lake with line for dragging in big fish, not river trout. Next dilema was the line had not been unspooled I think in this century, so I had to work the kinks out for about an hour cause I could only get maybe 5 feet casting.

The hole I brought those two out of went something like this. My dad found the hole. We were probably 8 feet above the river and the hole was maybe 10 feet away. Of course, my dad had two on the stringer in about 10 minutes. I first started with some yellow Powerbait corn stuff, using a float to drag the bait. Since I was upstream, casting was non-existant. Just drop the line and work the line into front of the fish. I tried that Powerbait corn stuff and salmon eggs and was dropping it right in front of them. Nothing. I started working my Powerbait in and around them and they would hit it, but these fish were good, plus with my less than desirable setup for the river, I was at a great disadvantage.

It started getting late and my dad was hanging out in the Sub and was wanting to go. I figured I'd try every combination of bait in my arsenal. I finally took the float off, figuring that I've got the kinks worked out enough in the line I could drop the bait right in amongst them and see what would happen. Usually, doesn't sound like a good idea, but these fish, I would drag that float setup into the middle of them, tagging them with the line and they would hold their ground.

After a couple of tries with that Powerbait corn stuff, I reverted back to salmon eggs. I figured I would give it a shot and if I got nothing, then it was time to call in the dogs, piss on the fire and head for the old campground.

Took me a couple of casts, but I finally dropped a load of eggs, minus float in amongst them and I'm here to tell ya, it was a like a busload of liberals at a half price off tin foil sail. One fish hit the hook so hard, eggs went flying everywhere. I reeled in, reloaded, made a couple of casts (with my rig, one cast and I would be golden), dropped the load right in amongst them and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reeled that sucker in, got him on the stringer, changed out hooks (he swallowed:D), reloaded with eggs and a couple of casts later, dropped it right in amongst them and again, I was reeling in another rainbow. My dad came over to hurry me up and he saw what I had landed. Those two fish from the time I started with the eggs to the time I landed number 2, maybe 5 minutes. I reloaded again and didn't quit hit the spot, but I had another one hit. He got off within a few feet.

I decided I would work that spot, hell I'd been working it for like an hour and half, with the eggs minus float combination until I either had my limit, which was 3, or ran out of eggs, which I only started with maybe 20. I ended up running out of eggs. Because of the tackle setup, I couldn't really feel the hits, although just watching the action I could tell they were banging that hook full of eggs like a screen door.

Pretty piss poor showing with the results, but after the work done, it was pretty gratifying. It just sucks that one has to search and search for "that hole" up there, but it's fun for the most part.

Maybe next summer, you can break away from down there and head up with us.:D

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah that would be cool. I just don't want to catch the fishing bug again. I once fished every day for over a year and a half strait, and I mean every day holidays and all.

16. dontoe

Mmmmmmmmmmmmbutter fried Trout!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

My dad told me today that we should head to CO when I get back from Moab, but I told him once I got back from Moab, my road tripping days are over for awhile.

We usually have this yearly thing to NM on the same weekend (NASCAR Bristol) because my step mom is out of town on some quilting retreat, but after this year, I may have the date changed due to some "circumstances" that occurred this year.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

doo tell

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wasted fishing time do to other peoples' piss poor planning and preparation...............

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds par for the course:D