Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The only dumb questions the one you don't ask...73,74,75???help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by belly, Mar 14, 2001.

1. belly

belly Registered Member

The only dumb questions the one you don\'t ask...73,74,75???help

My K5 has 1979 markings on all the glass but as far as I can find out Chevrolet stopped making the pillarless models in 74. Its got a 350/350 with 44 and 12 bolt diffs and Cheyenne badges, its a left to right hand drive conversion and has no compliance plates left on it. It doesn't make much difference what year it is as I'll never sell it (no kidding here), but it would be nice to know

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Re: The only dumb questions the one you don\'t ask...73,74,75???help

Does it still have the VIN plate?? It had 13 digits from 1972-1978. The 6th digit is a number that corresponds to the last number in the year. Mine is a '3' so it is a 1973. For 1979 and 1980 the VIN look at that same number, but the engine ID # is different. For 1981 and newer they have the international 17 digit VIN #s. Look at the 10th digit. It should be a letter. 'B' means 1981, 'C' means 1982, and so on. Hope this helps. If not, look closely at the tail light lens assembly, they usually have a date on them, but can be off due to replacement and carryover from previous years. Even if you don't have a VIN plate in the original place, there are other places on the vehicle that the VIN number is hidden at. Keep a close look out and you will run across them.

[​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In the US at least, 1975 was the last year of the full removeable top. That doesn't mean that GM didn't continue to sell them in other parts of the world! You folks in Austrailia have lots of vehicles that aren't available in the US.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Glass and stuff can be replaced and is the same over many years so you can't really go by that. Also, half tops can be converted to full tops so you can't go by that. Same for the axles. However, based on your description (and us trucks) I would guess it is 73-75. The only way to know is to check the VIN. Then again, that only tells you about the tub which could also be changed over many years. [​IMG] Then you have to start wondering about what exactly qualifies the truck as being a specific year model...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.