Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the other dip stick hole,what do you plug it with(350 crate)????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by boggerless, Jan 23, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

bowtiered showed me a hex head bolt,the dealer didn't know what i was talking about,SUMMIT sell's the engine and describes both dipstick holesand they told me to got to an auto parts store and gat a freeze plug. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif what the hell. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I bought a Goodwrench motor and it came with steel dowels to press into the extra hole. Could probably get the same from a hardware store or McMaster.

Definitely do it ahead of time, sucks when the motor is already in the truck.

-Chris

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can put just about anything in their probably, as long as it fits tight. I would measure the hole and get a bolt or something that fits tight,(metric)smear it down with sealer and smack it in there.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

or you alway can run "dual dipsticks" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

then when someone asks you waht motor you have, you say you have a 350 crate motor with dual dipsticks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Now that is a good one!!! You'll have one heck of a time finding a pan that will work though.

6. boggerless

thanks guy's,i'll find something.i wish i knew what size it was. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. boggerless

i acually thought about that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifcrome ones they go faster. + dual exhaust has to have two intakes,right. then if i get my muffler bearings balanced i should be making 650 H.P. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks man you are the more betterest. chucky /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why even mess with the hole? If your oil pan that you're using only has a cutout for one dipstick, it'd be a hole that went nowhere.

Then again, if your pan happens to have both patterns, it'd be a straight shot into your crankcase.

So, does your oil pan have both cutouts, or are you using a stock type pan with only one cutout?

My oil pan gasket is set up for either side dipstick. The extra piece for the driver's side dipstick is just sticking out of the side of my motor, not harming a thing.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to an autopart store and get a freeze plug. What the Hell?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm....... what part of that dont you understand.
    Just go to an autoparts store and get a freeze plug that fits the hole you need to plug.
    If its threaded hole just get a threaded plug.
    Take the dipstick with you so they can measure the diameter. Most stores like NAPA carry a wide assortment of them. Any compentent counter person should be able to help you pick out the right one.

10. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Actually the gm crate comes with an oil pan that will take a dip stick in either side, when I put mine it and fired it up to break it in is when I realized I had forgeotten to plug it, real fun when the motor is in and headers are on.

11. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Actually this is an easy fix. Use two dipsticks. Thats what I did, you can get either side in the Summit Catalog or online. Then you can check your oil, standing on either side of the engine. Only a Chevy could offer this caliber of versatility. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The reason they put two dipsticks is that that particular replacement crate motor covers years that had them on different sides. And you probably wouldn't believe it but when I check my oil from one side to the other I get two different readings. I guess no two dipsticks ar alike. lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Also if you ever need to pull the pan and don't want the expense of buying two different sets of gaskets, only to throw half of each away, GM dealers stock the special gasket set for this application. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. boggerless

the whole is not in the pan,it's in the BLOCK. what you don,t understand is i asked the chavy dealer and summit and others.and i get a different answer or a vague one. so today i asked a deisel mech and he told me a place sells a rubber plug that fits in the hole and has a screw in bolt to tighten it. BINGO a straight answer. the dope at the chevy dealer acually looked in the goodwrench engine book and still couldn't get it right. i was about to fill the f**ker with JB WELD /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. boggerless

i have to plug it oil sprays on the starter and header. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif