Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The pad plus............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got the pad done last week, well my concrete guys did!
    [​IMG]

Today, two friends, eight straight hours, with a lunch break, assembling the building. 154 sections, 1584 bolts, sore knees and back!!!
    [​IMG]

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

um would a PAD be appropiate here?:D nice man, how big? be nice to have the extra space.

3. dontoe

Only 25X40........10X8 doors, one on each end!:D

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You've been busy!...

I guess you have been hard at work!..I'm assuming your arches will be cemented right into the foundation,going by how it was poured..

Are you using the stock steel endwalls and sliding doors,or making custom ends and overhead door?...(thats what I did,I couldn't see paying 800 bucks more for sliding doors that would freeze up and probably get ripped off by our frequent high winds here)..

My Quonset had 120 panels to make up its 20x40 size..took me two weeks to assemble mine alone,after a few guys helped me put the first arch together on the ground and erect it..then I did it piecemeal,one section at a time..my arches consisted of two 43-5/8" straight side panels,two 10' ones,and a 44" section,to make up one arch..LOTS of bolts!..you haven't even started the biggest part of the bolts yet !..

Like I said before,it took me 3 months to grow all the skin back on my thumb and forefinger after assembling my building in the cold winter weather..all that kept me going was the dream of having it all built,and the wood stove roaring inside,and finally having a warm place to fool with my trucks,or just relax..its my second home,I spend much more time in the garage than the house!..

I enjoy seeing the progress your making!..cant wait until its done,and you show us how it comes out!...:crazy:

5. dontoe

Went and bought three pairs of "Mechanix Gloves" before we started, thanks to your posts!!! Thanks to you, our fingers are like normal, wish my back was though!!!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Gloves help...

I wore the thumb and first finger off 4 pair of gloves on my right hand ,the one I used to assemble all the bolts..I also had imprints of the ladder rungs in both of my feet from standing on it for two weeks while putting the building together!..I thought they would be permanent!..took me a few months before my back,feet, and the rest of me felt somewhere near normal again!..it was worth it though..still a lot easier than building a conventional garage from lumber,and practically NO maintenence!.(a lot cheaper then too!)...my quonset still looks brand new nearly 15 years later,only the bolt heads have turned rusty so far,and it survived 3 blizzards with 3' of snow!..it will oulast me probably..

My only regret is not buying a bigger one,and buying my own property to erect it on..I might lose it once my mother passes away.:( ..

I nearly became a factory rep for Steelmaster buildings,after I bought and erected my garage..I would not mind building smaller ones,but the ones as big as ours you really need more than one person to do it quickly and easier..I'm kind of suprised the smaller ones 10-15 ft wide are not popular for sheds..much sturdier than those "tin" shacks they sell at Sears and Home Depot,and not terribly expensive either..

I was considering getting a carport like yours and attaching it to the front of my building(maybe close in the sides too),so I can park in front of it,and not have to be brushing snow off my plow truck..right now only my Ford is in the garage,there is too much other stuff in there to fit more than one vehicle in it !:doah: ...it might be easier and cheaper to just add more arches onto the building though,if they are still available..:crazy:

7. dontoe

I bought the steel end walls, so that it will all look uniform and make it as "fire proof" as possible. The doors, I plan on getting them installed by a local garage door company, 10' wide and 8' tall.