Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Paranoia Begins...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jul 7, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Okay, I just finished putting in my lift (6" EZ-Ride--SWEEET), and now I face a quandry. I have 10-bolts, and I am running 35s. I am going to regear next week, or the week after at the latest. Therein lies the problem...

I am very paranoid about breaking my wimpy 10-bolt axles. I am eventually going with a 14-bolt/Dana 60 setup, but that is spendy and my current tires are brand new. So I want to wait until these tires are showing metal and then do it all at once. That'll give me time to save up at least. But God, I hate hiking out of the boonies, and it feels like I have a bitch of a hike ahead of me...[​IMG]

When they are putting in my 4.56's, they may as well throw in a locker, right? Well, I have looked and looked and researched and researched and I am more confused now than I ever was! [​IMG]

The Detroit is bomber, sure, but it seems a bit much for my application (70% street, 20% trail, 10% hardcore). Is it worth the extra money and on-road sacrifices in order to gain that Detroit strength? Would the cheaper EZ-Locker give me any strength advantages? If my axles were worth anything I would go with a Detroit in a second just for the peace of mind, but I am going to trash them eventually. Jeez, I can't think straight, what with this hellish hike that's coming. My axles will probably break in the middle of the night on something really mellow while I am wearing thongs or something, ten miles from the nearest pavement. Never fails. Maybe I just won't drive my truck ever again, I'll just sit here and look at it--it looks really good, by the way (pics up in a couple hours![​IMG]).

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

you can beef up your 10 bolt axles a little bit i think. It might be o.k for a while.
    I am not sure

[​IMG]<font color=orange>chevy4x4</font color=orange>[​IMG]
    http://4x4.coloradok5.com

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'd put off the gears and get the 3/4 ton running gear now. I had some bad times with 35's and 1/2 ton stuff, but I have a 454 too so I've got some power going to them.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Get a 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater for the rear. some came in 6-lug so you don't have to change your wheels and tires or frontend. As for a locker, I have heard good things about the Detroit C-Locker (better road manners) and you can never go wrong with a lock-right.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Your 10bolts should do fine for now. Just don't hit not hard trails for awhile. I've seen lots of 10 bolts with big tires and lifts. They're just show trucks though, so I figure, all they do is drive around anyway. Oh, and don't wear any thongs either, hahaahh,
    Boss

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get a late model 14 6 lug or a 12 bolt. You can pick up a 12 for reasonable ($250 or less) and if you look at it this way your saving money by doing it now instead of regear an axle later when you blow that 10bolt rear. Put off the regear till you have the cash for atleast a 12bolt (warn just came out with a floater kit for the 12 and less clearence loss at the diff than a 14 you could regear it now and convert it to a disc brake floater and keep thelocker and gears) Leave the front open and it wouldn't be to hard on parts but keep some spare shafts for the front and rear handy so you can fix it on the spot and avoid the hike. Dep, Big Jim, My bud Rob all run 35's on 10 bolt fronts and 12 rears and other than Rob blowing front axle shafts every other ride because he has a locker in the front we are not having problems and we are running trails like Tellico.
    EZ LOCKERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! get a detroit soft or auburn limitied or Eaton but don't waste your cash on a EZ.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I have a 12bolt you can have if you want to pick it up in Colorado. You can regear, and lock it any way you want.

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, no fair, I have a Dana 44 in the front and its Locked with a Lock Right locker, no problems yet. Grips like crazy.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I had a stock 10 bolt front and rear. Never had any problems with it....I ran 33's & now 35's. My 10 bolt did get destroyed, but that was due to driving my truck when I knew I shouldn't have w/a pinion seal going. I swapped in a 12 bolt because it was cheap, easy, and quick. I off-road a lot more than the percentages you put up...I think a 12 bolt would be a good idea. I think it's more when you start beefing your engine that the axles will desperately need to be upgraded.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout