Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Apr 7, 2007.

?

the passion of the christ was...

1. Outstanding

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Decent

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Terrible

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Didn't see it

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  5. who cares? jesus was naked in the last scene!

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey guys. i was curious: what are your opinions about mel gibson's film? personally, i think it's great. i watched it again tonite, being that today is good friday.

lets keep it civil. all opinions are cool - just be respectful of others.

here's what i like about the film: they actually used people that could pass for jews - as i'm sure many of them were (as opposed to the british jesus who is often used and who always comes off too pasty white to look authentic). they did the film in aramaic, latin and shoot, now i forget the third language i noticed tonite. they kept it pretty true to the accounts of the bible. while the gore is unbelievably pervasive, i think it's fairly true to the bible and since i believe that i put christ on the cross - it's a good representation for me to see (not as a guilt trip, but as a visual representation of what i believe to be God's love). i liked that they portrayed the depth of relationships, as well as the flashbacks to other biblical stories.

here's what i wish would have been different: I think that satan should have been more beautiful, and less creepy. i wish they would have filmed the part where jesus is about to be arrested by the guards and they all fall down when he says "I AM". i found some of the eagerness of the guards slightly unbelievable. it was a bit heavy on the slow motion.

overall, i think it's phenomenal tho.

i'm looking foward to seeing gibson's latest movie about the mayans.... or is it aztecs? i think it's mayans.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The beat down was the best part, his furniture building skills sucked so I could kinda see why...He should have stuck with the deli thing and kept makin fish sandwiches...

3. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Historically the torture is probably fairly accurate. I felt Mel spent to much time focusing on the torture and not on the wonderful teachings of christ. Sorry, lets talk movie stuff. Really well shot. Actors actually got into their parts. Good casting. Who cares if the lines are in a dead language! If you dont speak it you spend all your time reading subtitles.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'd agree with all of that too.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it was a well crafted film. I'm not a Christian so the subject matter isn't especially interesting, but it was certainly well made.

j

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

The movie was aboot the last twelve hours of Christs life.

Cried like a baby throughout the movie.

As a parent, probably the most touching scene for me is when The Virgin Mary (Mom) got to see him up close as he was carrying the cross.

Cried like a baby throughout the movie.

Mel Gibson tried to make the movie as accurate as possible, even using languages that Jews used as well as the Romans did.

Did I mention I cried like a baby throughout the movie?

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I find this hard to believe.

Do you believe in a higher being?

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Leave it to 'Fumes :bow: :bow: !!

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I thought it was great.. loved the part during the beatings where Jesus just got up and stared at the guy, as he turned around for the lashes to continue..I didn't expect that..

also liked the part where jesus tells mom " I make all things new again".. We pentecostals dig that "made new" stuff..

It's not like I needed a movie to know the story or appreciate what happened at the cross, but Mel did drive all of the points of the story home from an emotional standpoint, and that's good filmmaking..

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wish they could have shown more of the story leading up to the capture of him, I think it would have explained why the crucifiction happened from the point of view of Jerusalems' rulers.
    It was a very powerful movie for me though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now where'd I put that 10' pole again? :haha:

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw it once and vowed never to watch it again.

The brutality of the treatments they showed and gave JC was just overwhelming that filled me with rage. It was enough to realize that no one should have endured something like that.

13. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, i have seen the movie 3 times now, and every time i start to get filled with rage, it gets to the part where the movie shows that christ felt compassion for the fools that were doing this to him - praying for them and all, and it really throws me for a loop.

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've seen it once, and I just sat there in shock the whole way through... Very powerful film in my opinion, but as mentioned above, I wish that Mel had gone through and tried to explain WHY they were doing all this to Jesus for the many non-Christians who watched to get a true idea of just how weak of an excuse it was to kill him...

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It's a hard movie to sit through, I didn't sleep very well for a few weeks afterward.

It was good to see the Garden scene where he had to make a decision of his own free will. I think a lot of people missed that aspect in the movie. He had a choice, it wasn't prophesy or predestination.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My opinion/reply here is really for believers, non-believers will probably not understand/be offended or just balk at the religious content. Not trying to shut anyone out...

I didn't like it.
    From my POV, I think it's impossible for us to grasp how significant Christ's actions and his crucifixion were. It's barely within our grasp to understand how he was man and God at the same time, and could also be seperated from God.
    For us to think that the torture of his physical body is what gave us grace is extremely superficial. The movie focuses on Christ's physical suffering, just about completely ignoring that there's an incomprehensible spiritual significance to the crucifixion. Christ endured seperation from God, and the wrath of God. IMO, it's petty to think that physical earthly torture was all he endured, and that's all the movie shows, and that's what millions of people walked away from it in awe of. And the resurrection was practically ignored, almost thrown in to leave room for a sequel. The resurrection is extremely significant because it demonstrates that he returned to his living body in a purified state, bearing the scars of the penalty of our sin, defeating spiritual subjugation of sin. He was not kept captive in hell and seperation from God.

Throughout the history of man, there have been horrible tortures inflicted on men by other men. Men have been tortured for all kinds of causes. If we worship Christ because he endured physical torture for sinners, then we're reducing his sacrifice to simply martyr with a cause.
    What makes Christ's death significant is that he was purely innocent, he was God and man at the same time, and he suffered punishment for the sins of man, he suffered punishment because we're incapable of enduring the punishment we've earned as sinful men.
    God arranged Christ's death and resurrection because no man is capable of payng for his own sin. It's ludicrous to think the torture depicted in the movie is what punishment God demanded for the sins of all believers in history.

Think about it... If torture and crucifixion is what it would take to pay for sins and get into heaven, then sign me up. I'll even go through it for my kids if that's all it takes.
    If there's simply a physical element we can all stare at in awe, then it makes it difficult to support the concept that Christ in his physical form is the only one who could pay for sins. Why not anyone else in the bible who served God and was killed for it?

Christ was the only one who could pay the penalty of man's sins. If you believe this, then it's contradictory to believe his physical torture is all he went through to bring salvation. And that's all the movie shows.

The movie may be great cinematography, and a historically tight re-enactment, but it falls short on spiritual meaning and proper spiritual teaching. Look how many people above already said they wish the movie showed more of why it was happening. Getting it too historically accurate and trying to make it absolutely beleiveable brings along this problem of ignoring the spiritual aspect; people may begin to put faith in the movie's teachings, which are lacking.

As far as the language usage and so forth, that falls in line with it not being a very good movie at explaining why things were happening. I, personally, would not be a believer if the bible wasn't translated to a language I could get. I cross reference and study words in the original language to expand my knowledge and understanding, but I'd walk out of a sermon preached in aramaic out of sheer boredom.

17. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Very, very good and very important point :waytogo: .

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ah, that's not entirely accurate...

Prophesied:
    Predestined:
    That's another aspect of believing the movie, though.

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The movie was made to remind people of something important and something good. That's enough for me.

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i need to watch it again.GOOD call Colby.:waytogo: