Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Passion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigyellowjimmy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Just got home from seeing the movie......all I can saw is WOW! This is by far the most deeply moving movies of all time. Its a must see......whew.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was wondering if this would come up.

My wife and I decided we wouldn't see it. What makes you say it's a must see?

(BTW, I'm not Jewish and am not convinced it looks antisemetic!)

3. bigyellowjimmy

Very moving, excellent music, acting, special effects, accurate historically...I didnt want it to end.

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Yes, my wife and I will see it this weekend, another deeply moving film was "Saving private Ryan" IMHO..

5. bigyellowjimmy

we saw The Passion at the Superstition Springs Harkins, HUGE lines for it tonight. Yes, Private Ryan was very intense and moving too....you wont be dissapointed with this one either!

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, we were hearing a lot of negative reviews, this will make me want to see it more..
    We preordered tix at AMC Mesa Grand at Stapley and the 60. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I dont like TV or movies. I havent seen a movie in a theater since Space Jam in 1996? But I thought about seeing this one just to give ole Mel some cash and hopefully piss off Abe Foxman of the ADL. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i want to see that movie

i wonder if the guy who plays jesus takes flak?

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't seen the movie yet but will be going to see it soon. I have also heard about some people complaining about how gory it is but I am glad that it is. People need to see what kind of pain Jesus in human form went through for all of our sins. The people that complain are people that don't wan't to be reminded that he went through for them.

I'm not trying to preach or anything but I'm Glad Mel made this movie and yes, I am Catholic. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    accurate historically

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about that. What tells you it's accurate? I heard some of the things Mel Gibson has said about it, and I don't quite agree that it's historic.
    The only historic record of that time/event is the bible, and from what I understand, there are quite a few liberties taken in the movie that aren't in the bible.

I found an interesting statement:
    "The danger is that this film will become the Oliver Stone’s "JFK" of Christ’s Passion story, that is, that the public will only know the Passion story as it is depicted here with all of the non-Biblical material assumed to be Biblical or historic."

I don't think Mel Gibson has any intention at all of being untrue to God, but I have read and heard so far a few things that would discourage me from seeing this as a film that accurately reflects my faith, or history in humanity.

When my wife and I were thinking about seeing it, I started reading the bible, Mark/Matthew/John. I would recommend anyone that sees the movie do the same.

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Don't forget Luke, If you do want to read the bible i'd say read the statements that lead up to His death and the statements while he was on the cross, the first 4 gospels, Luke 23:34 23:43 John 19:27-28 John 7:37 and so on.
    I'm watching the movie tomorrow but from what I've heard from everyone I know is, the movie is VERY accurate. I actually had lunch with my college pastor today and he said it was one of the best movies he's seen about Jesus' crucifixion. Personally I would say, dont' listen to anyone elses opinion of it being "biblicaly correct" or "true in faith", or any "liberties taken that aren't biblical" unless you have read the Bible yourself. For me this movie isn't one i can take popcorn and candy into, it's more than a movie, it's like an auto biography of the one who created us all. I'm pretty familiar with the bible so if anyone has questions you can ask away if you don't understand something. But anyways, Regardless of all the bad stuff Mel Gibson has to put up for putting this movie out, i still give him alot of respect for doing it in todays society where the only times you hear Jesus' name is when it's a curse word /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    unless you have read the Bible yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I have and do often! That's why I'm not comfortable with the movie!

Sorry I just reread my earlier commnt that you were responding to. What I should have said is, I re-studied the Gospels of Jesus' life/death/resurrection when I started hearing more about this movie. I know those gospels pretty well, and I don't recall certain things in the trailers and scenes people have told me about being in the gospels.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jeff, speaking of Christ heres part of that song I said I loved:

You came upon me, wave on wave.
    You're the reason I'm still here, yeah.
    Am I the one you were sent to save?
    It came upon me, wave on wave.
    - By Pat Green -

If you ever put the country station on (107.9 fm) you'll hear it a lot !!

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was going to watch it opening night, but had to work... So I'll probably just wait until it goes to the $3 theater in about a month... I do want to see it though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know those gospels pretty well, and I don't recall certain things in the trailers and scenes people have told me about being in the gospels.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what have you seen in the trailers that is not biblical? i'd like to know unless i'm missing something...

16. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I saw it last night as well, definately a must see...Brought a friend of mine who is a non-believer and even he had nothing to say, its really moving in the sense that it really makes you think. I don't push my beliefs on anyone but its a great piece to see. I'm catholic as well........whew...long lines to get in, sold out all over

if you have a soft stomach watch out

18. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

When they were putting the guy on the cross in the movie he was struck by lightning. Everyone who has played Jesus in a movie has had something really bad happen to them.

UPDATE: Im watching Jay Leno and Mel is on. The guy that was struck with lightning was stuck on the LAST shot they made. Thats weird!!!

Nick

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm going to go see it next week. I am sure I will spend a lot of the time looking through my hands from what I know of the movie. But I think it'll be worth seeing for sure!

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know those gospels pretty well, and I don't recall certain things in the trailers and scenes people have told me about being in the gospels.

[/ QUOTE ]
    what have you seen in the trailers that is not biblical? i'd like to know unless i'm missing something...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was caught up in the excitement and fever at first, too, so I don't doubt you're unintentionally overlooking some things. I'm running out to work so I'll be quick (and to avoid hijacking the thread with a debate):

Satan, or the image of Satan following him. The only recollection I have of Satan interacting with the Gospels is when Jesus was tempted in the desert, and when "satan entered into" Judas. In the trailers I've seen, there's a woman seemingly watching everything, and I'm told now that this is supposed to be satan. I'm sure satan watched and was happy about the whole crucifixion, but the bible doesn't tell us that. The movie is making an assumption and additive where it's not necessary (sensationalism maybe? I don't know).

While the image of the serpent being crushed with a heel is biblical, this is a metaphor from Genesis, not the New Testament. How many people who DON'T know the bible or Genesis will know the symbolism of that? I personally think that symbolism should have been left as symbolism, in the book, not a bell and whistle for the movie.

The constant presence of Mary. Maybe she doesn't get enough credit in the bible, but that's God's doing, who is man to change her status and add her to the Gospel so much??

Arguably, the "image of God" aspect. How many people will go to bed after that movie praying to James Caveizel? Even Billy Graham unintentionally said whenever he thinks of the crucifixion now, he'll think of that scene from the movie. Details and descriptions God didn't give us, we've made for ourselves (mankind). I think it's possible it's a subtle form of idolatry.

Addressing the age old image of Christ with long hair; the custom at the time for Nazarene's was not to have long hair. 1 corinthians 11:14 even says men shouldn't have long hair by nature. The Bible says NOTHING descriptive about what Jesus looked like. While not necessarily in the movie, the image of christ has been imaginary since it started, the movie simply perpetuates it. The point, though, is that we're not to be focused on imagery, which the movie is loaded with.

While I haven't seen this in trailers, I've read that there's a scene where one of the other men on a cross gets his eyes gouged out by a crow. I dunno where that came from...

I've also read that the cross is made in a temple. Nowhere in the bible is any reference to that. Crucifixions were historically not a special event for the romans in that time (in fact, fairly common), so I doubt they put that much effort into making a cross.

So much for quick. I'm running out the door, so I'll probably start a new thread when I get to work if you want to talk about this more.

Don't get me wrong, I was gung-ho for this movie when I first heard about it, too. When I started getting more detail, I started seeing it wasn't quite a representation of what I'd come to believe by reading the bible. I have been impressed with the attention to biblical detail in it also, but no man has the right to add or take away from God's word. If God wanted the blanks filled in, he wouldn't have made them blanks.