Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Payloader that wouldnt die

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

OK Im on my lunch break so Ill have to make this quick. At work bout 20 min ago. The old junk Hough Payloader died. Rod and Gary got it to start again and brought it down to the shop and parked it. Rod turned off the key, but it kept running:crazy: , so then he pulled on the choke...still running:( . I then went over and yanked on the Plug wire coming off the coil...sucker still ran.:confused: Then is started to blow white smoke for a bit...then REALLY black smoke. Still running so I took my cap off and covered up the exhaust pipe it finally quit.:eek1:

Good thing its going down to a big equipment auction:haha:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Diesel???

If it was a diesel,it sounds like a "runaway!"...thats when they run on their own oil fumes from blowby in the crankcase!..it can make them rev up way beyond the govenor settings and toss rods out of the block!..:eek1: ..seen a bulldozer do it once--it was COOL!..:haha:

I once drove a 72 Nova 20 miles home from a bar, kinda blitzed, when I was a lot younger--its owner,my best friend,was too buzzed to drive,and halfway back to his house I noticed the temp gauge was PEGGED!..it started to "spark knock",and I figured it would seize unless we stopped!--my friend said "dont stop,if we do the cops will probably pull up behind us!--KEEP GOING!..:eek1:

As I drove closer to his house,the motor got louder,like the lifters were collapsing--then it started skipping at red lights,and each time it fired you could hear a spark knock or slappy piston noise!--how that thing made it all that way is beyond me!--when I shut the key off in his driveway,the engine didn't stop!--it actually smoothed out and ran BETTER!! --I had to open the hood and close the choke to "smother" it!--burnt the hell outta my hands in the process--the exhaust manifold was glowing ORANGE!..:eek1:

The next day,we found the lower hose nipple had fell out of the radiator!--I got another radiator from the junkyard and we installed it--much to our suprise the engine started right up,sounded OK again!..changed the oil,and drove it another couple of years..didn't even blow the head gasket!..:screwy: ..try THAT in a Honda,or other "aluminum" motor!..:rolleyes: :crazy:

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that's awesome! I would never sell that! if you can yank parts off and it won't quit?? that's one tough hough!:laugh:

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Its a gas, I dont know what the hell the deal was...and no If you ever ran th is thing you wouldnt want to keep it...MAJOR pos. Entire brake system is shot. Onlyway to stop is to lower the bucket. No power steering. Its rear steering too.

5. jonny290

jonny290 Registered Member

It's called 'dieseling' for obv reasons. Your head/cylinder is getting hot enough to ignite the air/fuel mix on the power stroke. Happened a bit in my '77 Nova with the straight 6 and a dime-sized hole in the radiator. Filled up every 2 miles, and it'd diesel for 5-10 seconds.

I did this EVERY DAY to that poor straight 6 for two months, and it still ran perfectly. God Bless American Steel, hahaha.

(I've since learned to fix radiators, lol.)

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Friend of mine used to work in the oil patch. Was once on a job where they had a big diesel stationary that got more than just a wiff of leaking NG. There's a reason those have 1/4" thick doors on their intakes. While everyone else was scattering for the hills the foreman knocked the prop rods holding the doors open out. Ruben said it sounds like that thing hit 30,000 RPM :doah:

7. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

This last winter @ work we were pullin' a houseboat out of the water and the clutch on our mack wouldn't engage or disengage, leaving it stuck in gear or trapt in neutral. So we had to use the starter to pull the truck, trailer, and houseboat forward in order to get it in and out of gear. well.... it rolled forward a few feet one time, didn't fire up, boss didn't throw it out of gear in time, and there was enough force and load to fire the truck up backwards!!! Im talking about the exhaust stacks were sucking in air, and black smoke pouring out the intake stack. We all sat and looked at eachother for a while, and finally i yelled out "It's F(@*#$& RUNNING BACKWARDS!!!" It was bizzare, and the first time i've ever heard of anything like this happening. After laughing and staring at it for a while, we shut it off. Then it fired up normally right afterwards, minus a little bit of extra black smoke for a minute.

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

wow!!! i wish i had a crazy story to tell!!LOL

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

any 2 stroke Detroit can easily run backwards, all it takes is a good solid backfire. I was with a Caterpillar C7 acert engine that ran away in a highway coach while backing into the shop. Generally the turbo oil feed line gives the oil to runaway on, shot oil seals in the turbo allow ungoverned oil fuel to the engine. This twin turbo C7, upon downloading the ecm, hit right around 6,000rpm before it drained the oil pan and shut down.

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've seen a 3500 series Allis Chalmers runawy from bad turbo seals I managed to stuff some rags in the intake before it went boom .... but it wound out real tight before I did.....directly after I had to change my shorts:eek1:

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

once when my dad was younger he filled up one of the diesel flatbed trucks at work with regular unleaded and it did the same thing. he said they did everything they could think of and it ended up running until it ran out of gas.

12. eclmech

eclmech Registered Member

CO2 fire extinguisher shuts runaways down quick and safe. No damage if you catch it quick.

Keith

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

or an repair manual!..

Where my older brother works ,he maintains a diesel fleet of Macks..they had one old truck start to "runaway" in the shop once--my brother knew smothering the intake is the best way to snuff it out,and he used a "Motor's" repair manual book to cover the intake pipe!...he was the only one brave enough to grab the book,and climb up on the truck to use it to kill the motor!--everyone else was running away as fast as their legs could carry them!..:p:

14. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

When ours fired up backwards, it was different because we had throttle control, it didn't rev. like the rest of the stories here........hmm, now my brain is thinking again....