Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The "Perfect" setup debate (please read!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by evilandangry, Feb 5, 2003.

1. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

The \"Perfect\" setup debate (please read!)

As a newbie to this site I have found the information on this site wonderful but very scattered. Us poor newbies can have a terrible time stumbling around looking for suggestions for an overall setup. We ask the same questions over and over and that can irritate some of you "old hands". I may have an answer to this problem. I would like to propose that together we hash out several "perfect" setups.

Before to turn the flames on me please hear me out. I am well aware that there can be no perfect setup. What I am suggesting is a running debate, followed by a vote on several standard Blazer/Jimmy types.
    I feel that we keep this a civil debate we can "discover" some if not perfect then at least very effective setups.

This is your opportunity to have it out, your favorite parts and settings laid bare for the world to see. Is TBI the way and the light? Are chrome shocks a must have item? Is 12" of lift too much? Imagine all this drama, up to date and in one place!! If anyone is interested in this chance I feel step 1 is to define the overall categories for discussion.

For clarity please post just your thoughts on this idea and possible categories for now.

Some of my suggestions for possible categories:

Stock Plus: All the needed fixes to run a near stock street machine for many trouble free years.

Mild Machine: Daily driver that can go camping with the family.

All-Around: This would be a tough one, The "Holy Grail" of the K5 world. The truck that you would not hesitate to take onto the rocks, into the swamp and to work every day.

Mud Hog: All the mud you can eat! A purpose built mud slinging Demon, the truck you want to see crest the hill when you are buried up to the frame rails.

Rock Climber: Rock on! This should be the K5 that mountain goats fear!

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Re: The \"Perfect\" setup debate (please read!)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    All-Around: This would be a tough one, The "Holy Grail" of the K5 world. The truck that you would not hesitate to take onto the rocks, into the swamp and to work every day

[/ QUOTE ]

I put my .02 on this, since this is what I have and what I intended my vehicle to be...

'87-'91 K5's
    383 Stroker w/ Fuel Injection
    700R4 for the overdrive
    241 w/ Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit (or Stock 205)
    One Ton CV's &amp; Drive Shafts
    Dana 60 w/ Track Lock (maybe a beefed D44, but I'm partial to a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
    Corp 14 w/ Detroit and Disc Brakes
    4.56 gears
    Cross-Over Steering
    Long travel Front shocks w/ F-250 towers
    Inboard long travel Rear Shocks
    5.5 BDS Lift
    37" tires
    Body Armor--high Clearance front winch bumper, 4x4 Iron Rock Sliders or Toybox Sliders, Solid rear bumper w/ rear quater protection

I thought about the Doubler transfer case set-up and I think it is a great mod, just not for everyone. I think it is more biased with the rockcrawl/hardcore crowd though.

This is just what i think and is what my opinion i think would be a good all around vehicle to tackle any terrian.

3. evilandangry

Thats a great setup! But.... I am looking for just ideas for the format of this debate at this point. (we will get into the "good stuff" soon enough!)

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I would add a ram assist on the steering too...!

5. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Becareful what you ask for(opinions), you just might get it, hehe /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say use the post for the raw data and do a write up. The general concensus should be pretty clear after enough replies.

A sticky post is cool, but a write up on the home page is easier to find for almost anyone.

Thanks for volunteering!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rene

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm a little shocked that you have only one response (al least at the time of writing this, way to go Matt!). I'm mostly in agreemnt with Matt on the " jack of all trades k5 " but a little different, I opened up the year range mostly because making big mods is much easier on the older trucks for smog reasons and simplicity:

'69-'91 K5's
    383 Stroker w/ Fuel Injection
    th400 (700r4's blow up more often)
    205 twinstick
    Dana 60 w/ Detroit (maybe a beefed D44, but I'm partial to a 60's too )
    4.56 gears
    Cross-Over Steering
    Long Travel Rear Shocks (Inboard is good for flex, but les stable than rotated forward)
    4" Lift with long travel capability (sit low, stretch far)
    37" tires
    Body Armor--high Clearance front winch bumper, Rock Sliders, Solid rear bumper w/ rear quater protection, Family Cage

Stock:
    Frame brace - and run it until it dies ( stock K5's are very capable )

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

for a mud truck it would be like this:

69-91 k5
    454 carbed engine. all the goodies on it
    either a t400 or an sm465
    dana 60 front with a detroit
    14bff rear with a detroit and disc brakes so weight is taken off.
    5.13 gears
    44" boggers
    12" of lift

that would be the mud truck to have

jacob

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second Borrego's list with a couple of notable changes.

'69-'91 K5's
    383 Stroker w/ Fuel Injection, or a 6.2 diesel/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    th400 (700r4's blow up more often) or a SM465
    205 twinstick
    Dana 60 w/ Detroit (maybe a beefed D44, but I'm partial to a 60's too )
    4.56 gears
    Cross-Over Steering
    Long Travel Rear Shocks (Inboard is good for flex, but les stable than rotated forward)
    4" Lift with long travel capability (sit low, stretch far)
    37" tires
    Body Armor--high Clearance front winch bumper, Rock Sliders, Solid rear bumper w/ rear quater protection, Family Cage

For all around use the diesel shines due to fuel economy (all around means DD duties where I live...) plus it will run at any angle too. The low end bias is also great for crawling.

Rene

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If I started over I prob would build my 72 K5 back{got wrecked},but,now I like my 88 SWB.Kids are gone so the rooms not an issue.Put on topper if I need that.After SFA swap it's BAD.lots of J**Ps and K5s round here and the little extra wheelbase Helps.More on it later /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

here are my two that i would like
    first for all all around
    second for mud

first
    '73-'75 K5's i like the full vert.
    383 Stroker w/TPI Fuel Injection
    th400 (700r4's blow up more often) OR an sm465
    205 twinstick
    ford High Pinion Dana 60 w/ Detroit
    Dana 60with a spool and Disc Brakes
    4.56 gears or 4.10 with the sm465
    Cross-Over Steering with ram assist
    4" Lift with long travel capability (sit low, stretch far)agree
    38" tires
    Body Armor--high Clearance front winch bumper, Rock Sliders, Solid rear bumper w/ rear quater protection, Full Cage

for mud
    '69-'91 K5's
    454 or bigger w/ Fuel Injection
    th400 (700r4's blow up more often)
    205 twinstick
    Dana 60 w/ limited slip of some type
    4.56 gears
    Cross-Over Steering
    Dual Front shocks
    dual Rear Shocks
    8" Lift with nice firm rates
    44" tires
    winch bumper, Rock Sliders, Solid rear bumper w/ rear quater protection, Family Cage

i would also add lights, and lots of them on both of them.
    Grant

12. evilandangry

I would be very happy to do a writeup on the Perfect K5! Keep the ideas coming and I will post updates on the 'current' favorites. Would anyone like to share guesses on the $$$$$ for these setups?

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If you add up the cost most of us would see we can't affofd it.If we really don't know,we don't have to lie to wives when they ask how much are you going to spend on that peice of junk. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Well my setup is a little vanilla compared to some, but for a do-it-all rig and not a ton of cash, it does damn well.

Quadrajet 454 with tri-y's and dual 2.5 flowmasters, 3 chamber
    SM465. Reliable, great crawl, little better mileage than a TH350 or 400, cheaper and stronger than a 700.
    NP208. The weakest link, but keeping it full of fluid it should last with the size of tire. When joined to the SM465 you get a decent crawl ratio (not full on rock-monger, but still deeper than needed for trails) and light weight.
    Stock driveshafts, which means 1350 joints on the rear for me, 1310 on the front. Hopefully the front shaft will break before the t-case.
    Dana 60 up front, for now its open, when cash permits some sort of traction aiding device.
    14 Bolt out back with a detroit.
    4.10 gears.
    4 inch all spring lift.
    HD shackles up front, 'cause stockers snap.
    RS9000's or some other adjustable shock setup.
    Tires are currently 33" pro-comp MT's but only because I had them from another vehicle. 36" TSL's or 37" SSR's will be slung under there in may, when schools out.
    Sway bar disconnects. I leave the sway bar on anyways, but its nice to have the non-binding effect and the option to disconnect it. I leave it on for one reason many may think is odd: It limits front travel. Yes I want this. Without it my stock steering setup lacks a bit and massive flex is hell on spring bushings. Thats what detroits are for.
    Stock push-pull steering, less bumpsteer than a crossover (as in nill), and speeding on backroads is more common than tweaking my frame for me.
    Hydroboost. Because I rolled my K30 and had to put it somewhere.
    With this setup my truck drives great on the road and wheels quite well.
    On a side note, weight is bad. Lots more money would result in some fiberglass and such, but it works as it is. This same motor transplanted into my K10 from my K30, along with things like a lighter transfercase and frame, netted be about 2-3 mpg improvement, up to 10-12 now. And it smokes the old truck in the sand.

I really just need some body protection now.

15. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to build a "well rounded pickup". I have a 500 big block with a glass smooth idle, 400 horses and 525 ft of torque. A 4 speed overdrive tranny with a ORD doubler. Dana 60/70 axels with ARB's. 6" of lift and 37" tires. And everything protected with skid plates. I think it will be civilized enough, but capable off-road.

16. clancy84

clancy84 Registered Member

a spool on the street is pretty crazy. you also posted a limited slip on the mud truck...so im assuming you ment the other way around which would make sense.(limited slip on the all around truck) (spool on the mud truck)

just wanted to bring that up since this is supposed to be for new guys. other than that both sound like great trucks.

--Scott

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a spool on the street all the time. I have run a welded 14bff in the back of my semi-DD K5 for about 2.5 years now. I dont think it is crazy by any means. It eats tires up faster but it is more perdictable then a locker is. I have run a spool on dry streets, wet streets, light snow, heavy snow, ice, mud, etc and I like it. It is kind of annoying on road sometimes but not terrible. But to each there own I guess. :dunno:

Harley

18. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

383 Stroker w/ Fuel Injection:cool1:
    th400
    Doubler 32 spline everything:cool1:
    Dana 60 w/ Detroit
    4.56 gears
    Cross-Over Steering high steer
    6" Lift with long travel capability (sit low, stretch far)
    42" tires
    lots of body trimming:hack:

I had to make little change to the other post. Yhats my k5 in a nutshell. Seems to work really well for me

19. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Holy resurection batman :blush:

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thats what I was thinking.