Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The police stopped me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hammermachine, Jan 5, 2007.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Two days before xmas I was had to drive into NYC to pick up a friend from her xmas party. Once I arrived I was asked if I could drop off her coworker ( who I think is very hot). Being the knucklehead I am I said"sure no problem". That's when I found out she lived in Harlem. Now mine you I grew up in NYC, and I am not afraid of going anywhere in NY. BUT I am driving a large pickup WITH Jersey plates AT night. So deep down I knew what was going to happen. I sucked it up and headed north. Everything was fine until we were a block from the coworker's house. Then WHOOP WHOOP and there goes a black unmarked police cruiser. Once I pulled over two of the NYPD's finest walk up. Now for those of you that don't know there has been at least three police shootings in NY where people were shot by dozens and dozens of rounds. In every case sofar there was a misunderstanding by all the parties involved. For me this had the potential to become another misunderstanding. Now mind you, we were doing nothing wrong and I never was afraid...BUT this was in my head as they walked up. After they went thru my paperwork ( all legit) they asked me why I was up in Harlem and not in NJ. After explaining they let me go with the comment " your tints are too dark for NYC" Mind you I have a 2500 Silverado with factory tints. I said "Okay Officer" and was aloowed to go on my way. I understand the job they do and I had no problem with the way the cops treated me. It's just weird to become very concerned about surviving a police stop but I now do.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, the pic of the truck I understand (Your truck/dark tint) but why the pics of the cops in what looks like riot gear?

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    So in New York they approach the car armed like that. Way Cool. Too bad I don't live closer:wink1:

4. hammermachine

I couldn't fine any pics of NYPD other promo (helping kids, cats out of trees). I needed a intimidating pics to go with how we felt.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Nice. Thanks for admitting to being a troll; makes the call out just a little bit easier. Feel free to disagree, but the signs have been there ever since you entered this place. We don't need and/or want any trolls around these parts, especially the finest ones from Brigade Da La Tin Foil....................

6. hammermachine

So telling you that we felt intimidated being stopped by the NYPD after what has happened is being a troll (whatever that means). Well we did. There is a intimidation factor whenever you are dealing with the police but I should have to explain that to you.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sounds like they were just doing their job's. Out of state plates on a nice truck with black window's in Harlem. Take it as a warning,atleast they didn't give you a ticket. :rolleyes:

8. hammermachine

Exactly I have no problem with what happened. I knew that was going to happen when the girl asked me to go there. The whole point is about how we felt. It was a interesting experiance. Until these recent shootings I never really worried about it.:eek1:

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's actually not that uncommon police attire in Manhattan. I don't think they carry AR15's unless the terror level is up, though.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Either way, I think you understand my point. To me, there is no need to punctuate the story with those pics. They serve no real purpose other than to make the cops look "bad" or" terrifying" or whatever.

To me, it sounds like the cops were doing their jobs, asked the appropriate questions in the circumstance, and one commented about tint, but that's it.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

he!!, he's lucky they didn't tear the truck apart looking for drugs...

12. hammermachine

If I inedvertanly offened anyone with the pictures I AM SORRY. The purpose of the story was to explain the feelings WE had during the stop. Right or wrong the fear and concern was our reality that night.

13. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

Thank you, sometimes I intimidate myself.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I thought they looked badass!! :haha: :haha: I guess it's perspective, I didn't look at the post as anti-police, just informational.
    But you're right and I agree, it is misleading.

I think the problem was probably "which of these things does not fit?" from the police perspective.
    If you were in an Escalade or Navigator, I bet you would have been fine.

15. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

If he had been in an Escalade or a Navigator they would have torn it apart.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Comprehend the English language much?

You're nothing more than a troll trying to stir stuff up.

17. hammermachine

Maybe, but I would have probaly goten "jacked" long before that. Those trucks draw too much unwanted attention around here.

18. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

If I am driving a vehicle that has dark tint on the windows and I get pulled over at night, I will turn on my interior light, roll down the windows and put both hands on the wheel.

It seems to help make the cop at ease when he can look at the situation and realize I am no threat to him and his safety.

19. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

my old truck was a 05 ranger super cab edge w/ 285 bfg muds on it looked real good and had 5% tint on all windows but the windshield. it already had factory tint on the rear windows (factory tint is equal to 20%). on morning on the way home from eating breakfest i have a state trooper get behind me. it was cold so i left the windows up knowing they are way illegal. so he pulls up beside me and i know he cant see me and i notice what trooper his is. it was trooper brown( a real ass w/ short man syndrome who loves giving window tint tickets) so he pulled ahead and then drops back behind me and turns on the blue lights. i pull over and roll my window down before he gets there and hes having to look up at me b/c hes so short. he makes me get out of the truck and put my hands on the hood, and ask if he can search my truck. i was like yes sir and he starts looking all through my truck. asking me if i have any drugs, and i reply w/ a no. he gets in my face and ask if i have a problem w/ him lookin through my truck. and i told him no b/c i have nothing to hide. then he gave me this bull **** excuse of we had reports of a dark grey truck w/ blacked out windows going through the trailer parks and possibly selling drugs. and i told him that wasnt me. so long story short i know how u feel with the dark tinted windows. they really profile u bad. funny thing is he got fired a couple wks ago, but now since ive got the K5 i dont want to tint the windows b/c i already have trouble seeing out when i got mud all over the windows.

20. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

So you went to the bad part of town after dark and were upset you had contact with law enforcement???? Would you rather been carjacked and there was no law enforcement around??

Mr. "officer friendly" baby kissing hand shaker doesn't work in Harlem at night. If you were afraid maybe that is good. It takes a certain kind of person to work in an area like that. You should feel pride in your country that guy is out there putting up with the crap he does day to day to keep you safe.