Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"the political aspect of the whole situation"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Jan 11, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

\"the political aspect of the whole situation\"

So what do all of you think about Mr. Bush sending our troops to Iraq in preperation for war when the UN has yet to produce even one little piece of eveidence that they have any type of weapons of mass destruction? After all, wasn't that the point of the whole thing? Or do you feel that just maybe Mr. Bush had it in his mind to go screw with his daddy's nemesis no matter what anyone else thinks?

And now that we've sent everyone to the middle east, what will we do about the REAL threat here. North Korea!

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: \"the political aspect of the whole situation\"

Ok Iraq is basiclly the size of California. Now Im gonna go hide some stuff all over the state (mostly underground). Now I want you and a group of people from all over the world that you probably won't be able to talk with since they speak a diffrent language. Now I gonna deny that this stuff exist. Now go find it. They have the weapons and in due time it will be proven.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

That is when we should start worrying. After we find the eveidence. In the meantime what are we going to do about N. Korea? Those guys are thumbing their noses at us right now as we speak. Don't you think that a real threat like that is worth a little consideration at the moment?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm thinking the situation in North Korea is more posing and posturing to gain attention and help from the rest of the world...

From what I understand Iraq was required to show proof they had destroyed the weapons the UN proved they had the first time they were there inspecting. Instead of complying with a simple request like that Saddam has chosen to ignore that particular demand. The fact the present inspectors haven't found much if anything is kind of secondary to that glaring omission.
    If Saddam doesn't come up with some documentation or proof that those weapons have been destroyed then it's only prudent to assume they haven't been and he's just found better ways to hide them.

Unless I heard it wrong troops and stuff are heading to both Iraq and North Korea...

Rene

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*Start of Rant* This North Korea thing is pissing me off. They're going to escalate this into a war unless we give them aid???!!! Screw them!!! Let 'em keep their nukes, increase the sanctions and see if they can eat bombs and chemical weapons for dinner. *Rant done*

Meanwhile, I'd be packing if I lived in Seoul...

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Unless I heard it wrong troops and stuff are heading to both Iraq and North Korea...

[/ QUOTE ]
    My brother is being deployed to the DMZ real soon.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've become hazy on the details, but adding to the logic of Corey's post, Saddam has also had several years to hide them better, and with the experience already of having weapons inspectors come through, he knows a little better how to play the game.
    On north Korea; Has Short Man's syndrome ever gotten anyone anywhere? I don't think they're the same type of threat as mid-eastern countries. Mid eastern conflicts and agressions usually lack any form of making sense. At least N. Korea's ranting is in a small way understandable; they want to be recognized as being bigger than they are. Sort of like India when they detonated the test nuke several years ago. Difference is, India wanted the world to remember they actually are huge... Anybody that pisses off India is in for a significant beating...

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

As far as Iraq, I "would" hope that our government would have a "smoking gun" reason for going over. I know, a little idealistic about the whole situation. Even then, Saddam Hussein is nothing more than a two bit dictator terrorist who "could" be a threat to us. Do we know that, no we don't. Is he a threat to Isreal, yes he is and Isreal is a ally, probably our most (outside of the previous incident) trustworthy ally who are in a deep situation with just more than a few people who would like to see that country fall. They need our help and I'm more than happy to see them get our help.

Saddam is in a bad situation himself. He has to rule with an iron grip because he comes from the minority Muslim population of Iraq, and the way those people are, that's the only justification they need to hate someone. His had to protect his interests through this way of rule.

Yes, we have given him support in the past. We have also given other enemies support in the past, namely Manuel Noreiga, Soviet Union, China.

As for North Korea, that's a touchy situation. Here we have a country that has been hit with natural disasters and the people are starving with what is it, a 2 million man army sitting within striking distance of South Korea's capitol? The country is pretty much cutoff from the rest of the world and it's a country that makes the old Soviet Union ways of doing business look normal.

In sense, I believe their government is desparate for something. But what is it? Could it be food? They've subscribed to the communist theory of throwing all their $$$$$ to the military and the people have suffered. Could they be ready to implode?

The wild card is China. Here we have yet another of the old school communist countries, but they've seen the light. They need $$$$$ from the west and they are getting it. If you need proof, the next time you see a cargo container with a Chinese sounding name on the side being pulled by a semi down the road, guess what folks? That cargo container is owned by the People's Army of China and it's right here in America.

It has been reported in the news the last couple of days that Bush has spoken by phone to the government in China. What was said? I haven't heard, but I'm sure I can guess.

We are gonna probably end up placating China, giving them probably whatever they want. Then China is gonna talk to North Korea and it will hopefully blow over.

One must remember that the Asian communist is a totally different animal than the European communist. It's the psychology of the races. The Asians think different than white boys. They have to be dealt with differently than how we dealt with Russia.

Do I agree with placating China? Hell the **** no!!!! Dealing with them is dealing with the devil. Some people don't deserve the time of day, and I wouldn't even pimp sheeps to them.

Is this a good move placating them? Maybe so maybe no. In the short term, if China settles North Korea down, we all live happy ever after. But what about long term? Could China be building up for the take down through the capitalism moves they have made?

In the end, Saddam must be taken out; but the Iraqi people must have honor and respect and sack up to change their country and I don't see North Korea doing much more than talking the talk and not walking the walk.

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The US has been lobbing smart bombs at radar sites for several months now in preparation to the invasion that is going to happen...I'm thinking weapons inspectors are there just to placate the Arab nations and others who disagree with our policy with Iraq...I'm sure we are "buying" support from a number of nations in the form of aid, trades sanctions, etc. in order to get them to "go along" with, if not actually support our policy...That entire area of the planet thinks differently than we do, and that doesn't make us any more right than they are wrong...The country of Israel didn't exist before 1948...it was carved out from other countries already occupying that particular piece of dirt...which means Palestine has a valid arguement...Saddam is a nutcase, but to our way of thinking, there are plenty more where he came from...I believe Korea is dangerous, but I also believe they should be able to evolve into the 21st century in order to feed their people...We have Nukes, and Nuclear powered Elec plants, and Chemical weapons, and the most sophisticated means of delivery on the planet...it is in the Worlds best interest that all nations are able to enjoy prosperity...there is very little violence among the rich...most of the shooting and crime against persons happens in the poor parts of town.....sorta all comes down to "The Golden Rule"...."whoever has the gold makes the rules".....whatever happens in Iraq, you can bet that We are gonna kill more of our own people than the bad guys will (just like Desert Storm)...99.9% of the troops over there will never get near any "action" other than targeting bogies on a video screen (sorta like a shoot 'em up video game)....then they will come back home and they will all be "Heros"....but that's a whole 'nother rant.....

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

First off I do agree with most of the prementioned post supporting us going into Iraq.

If you think Bush is doing this to be reelected, maybe he is maybe he isn't...but from your point of view we should stay out of their way and worry about N. Korea. When was the last time you heard N. Korea even mentioned on the news as a threat? They really aren't much of one....for the mean time we are going after the psychopath that is messing with all things in the middle east.

Very few people are showing support as of now but once we invade you can bet many other countries will have our backs on this one....I also might add that I agree the UN inspectors are there to keep some of the other UN Nations cool. Afterall we are more in that area of the world to keep peace more than anything, were we to tell Isreal, we dont care have at them they would have a neuclear war on that side of the world in no time. Isreal is far far more capable of handling their own than people give them credit for....

For the time being, I support our Pres. and his actions, twiddling our thumbs at home will just allow Saddam to build up his weapons to use in a not so defensive way.

Thank You to all who have answered the call! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Why do I always seem to agree with you?

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Because it's the right thing to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The country of Israel didn't exist before 1948...it was carved out from other countries already occupying that particular piece of dirt...which means Palestine has a valid arguement...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? Who was there first? I remember back in my reading of history that the Jews were there first, I may be wrong. Furthermore, if the Palestinians have a valid argument, well then the Indians have a valid argument, the Mexicans have a valid argument and the French have a valid argument, as does Russia, since at one time they used to own some part of this country. Now with France and Russia, we bought the land from them, so there's an excuse there. But we kicked Mexico out, we kicked the Indians off the lands that they roamed. What about Spain, they used to have people running around the Southwest at one time?

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hmmm. Good reading post, Bubba Ray, a lot of info I didn't know or consider about N.Korea!

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

All the peoples you mention did in fact participate in wars defending what they believe...some got beat, some got bought...point being, everyone had a valid reason supporting their arguement over ownership...eminant domain, raison d'etre, lebensraum...the Indians got robbed...the Jews coexisted in a land occupied by others...they never actually had a country of their own...didn't say that I agree with any of it, didn't say that I had an answer to settle it...just said that Palestinians are understandably fighting for what they believe is theirs since they are basically in the same position the Jews were prior to a State being created for them after WWII...just that the Jews seem to have friends with bigger sticks and a lotta influence in this country since way back...throughout history, people have taken what they wanted once some commodity was discovered...whether it was seaports, ivory, whale oil, gold, land, or oil...I agree that Saddam is a meglomaniac and a cancer to human rights...heard it said on the news that we have proof that he has weapons, but that info is classified, so if we give it to the inspectors to prove, it may tip Saddam and he can do something with the info...seems a little like a catch 22...seems to me if we have the proof, then offer some up to the appropriate governing body (UN) and make the necessary decisions from there...we aren't the world's police force....we have $999 Bil to spend on a war, but we can't fund Medicare, Social Security, school reform, and other programs in this country....I don't have a problem with turning Iraq into a parking lot...just call a spade a spade and get it done...it's about our control of the worlds oil...(which for some reason we think we have a right to under our own terms).....I don't think our government is always right nor is it always the best....I do believe it is the best experimental model so far....now, before I am mistaken for some bleeding heart....E 1/8 1st Air Cav 68-70 (11F40)...I got the CIB, Purple Heart and Silver Star pinned to That T shirt....There is no Honor in War, only Tragedy.....I have been pinned down and seen men die under "friendly fire"....I would just Pray that there can be another way....

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

same position the Jews were prior to a State being created for them after WWII...just that the Jews seem to have friends with bigger sticks and a lotta influence in this country since way back...

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you remember, the Israelis had to fight the British to get their country.

we have $999 Bil to spend on a war, but we can't fund Medicare, Social Security, school reform, and other programs in this country....

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe that most federal programs like those mentioned should be ended. They have done very little except cost honest taxpayers money. Furthermore, the system is so messed up some guy in a brand new Mercedes can get Medi-Cal, saw it just the other day. A lot of the illegal aliens are living off us taxpayers also, not a good thing.

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

well then the Indians have a valid argument

[/ QUOTE ]

I know my opinion on this subject goes against the majority on this topic, but Natives DO have a legitimate argument about land rights and human rights in general, at least up here in Canada. They were cheated and overrun, plain and simple. I live within 50 miles of 2 reserves and the descendants of the good folks that live there were fawked over big time. 5000 years of heritage and customs were erased in less than 50 years. What a shame.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I know my opinion on this subject goes against the majority on this topic,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe against the majority, but I'm pretty much on the same train of thought as you on this issue.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

See it was you Gosh Darn Canadians all along. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

currently do not see how Korea is a threat to US.
    seems the US is a threat to Korea yet again though.