Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the prognosis

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **b**, Mar 10, 2000.

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

as some of you may know / i had some problems concerning a
    axel seal front drivers side. oil has been comming out of the shaft. also a banging noise in the stearing...

turns out i needed a new stearing box. since i already sold one of my kidneys / i opted for a trip to the boneyard for a used box. no problem...

however my mechanic is telling me that the leak is nothing major / it has something to do with a vent in the axel????
    and does not need immediate concern...

Am i getting sailed up the river again???
    VENT?????

could someone explain????

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    My opnion would be, if you have fluid coming out of your vent tube, something is wrong. Its either WAY over filled, or you have something other tahn gearlube in there. I'd open it up and take a look. make sure its not plugged up. The vent tube is only to allow the pressure change when the fulid heats up and cools. It shouldn't allow fluid to come out unless your truck is upside down..

Corey
    88K5

By the way, does your mech. have Hummer catalogs on his desk???

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Sorry Corey i doubt it?/?
    got a new MAC cat though..

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I was thinking that "something other than gearlube" item was one time I had the same problem but it was because the tubes were filled with water.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The mechanic could be saying the vent tube may be plugged. If the vent is plugged on an axle, there is no pressure change happenin like Corey said and the next thing to go is a seal. Another thing he mentioned could be true, you could have too much fluid and or water in there. I would say your seal is probably bad now, because why would it leak out of only one seal all the time? Anyway, when there is a leak you can be sure that water and mud will find its way in the axle. That to me is a BIG concern. I would try to get it sealed before you go wheeling in mud or water again. Your ring and pinion will thank you.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>