Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The proportioning valve?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hardcore_rob, Jan 3, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

I believe that is what this is? have a small leak right where the arrow is pointing. have it temporarily clogged. Is the thing a whole assembly or can i get a hold of the part that looks like a brass fitting?

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL53/812843/1491550/17873744.jpg

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They'd probably give you 10 combination valves at the wrecking yard for $10. No one ever takes those things, and they rarely fail (yours is the first or second I've ever heard of leaking) so it would be just as easy/cheap to go get a couple used spares.

3. hardcore_rob

yeah its odd, i thought at first it was just a loose nut, but the more i feel around it has a hole in the damn thing. on the top of the brass fitting none the less, *** wonders how it got there ***

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Mine leaks from the same place. I'd replace it but all the lines are frozen in it so I'd have to cut them all and replace them. Too much work! It leaks reeeaaaal slow so I'm not worrying about it right now.</font color>

5. hardcore_rob

wish mine was slow. i am constantly having to refill my reservoir.

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Go to a junk yard and get one there for a buck or two. The one thing that you have to watch is they are not all the same. Some have the proportioning setup more for the front or rear than others so try to get one off the same type of vehicle unless you want to try something different in your braking system such as using more rear than front brakes or vise versa.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Rob, how often are you having to top it off? If I drive it every day then I need to add a little fluid after about 2 weeks. Is your faster than that? </font color>

8. hardcore_rob

mine can drain within 2 days. i bought alot of cheap brake fluid from walmart to keep it filled till i can get the part. i clogged the hole and it keeps it for about 3-5 days

9. hardcore_rob

went to a salvage yard, found the part, replaced and damn no more leak... feels good....