Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The QUIETEST muffler made

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Apr 15, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

What is the quietest muffler ever produced? It obviously doesn't need to complete choke down my 350, but it does not need to be high performance. I'm looking to bolt it in where my old rusted stock muffler was. I'm running straight pipes right now and it has gotten really old. I want to be able to go camping with buddies, and ride by people's houses at 2 in the morning without waking them. I'm looking to give it a stealth mode :bow: If I decide to in the future, I can always go with exhaust cutouts.

I'm thinking of trying to get ahold of a stock muffler off of a late 90's chevy truck, unless someone knows of a muffler that is even quieter. Keep in mind, I'm not running a Catalitic converter, it didn't come on my truck from the factory.

2. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

acctually your truck would have come w/ a converter if it is newer than '76 unless it came w/ a diesel... anyway what you are going to want is to tell the muffler shop that you want the largest stock mufflers that will fit your application... i sell what you want at my shop for around $50 installed, so this should give you an idea of a price to expect...

3. 78Suburban

draggbody, you've been a member for almost a year and have never posted. You really should show all these people on ck5 your rig, it looks pretty hardcore on the pics you have posted at havoc.

my truck is a 3/4 ton, it was also a govt vehicle. I can not see where a cat has ever been. Do you have any stock mufflers at your shop you could give me :D

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Quiet is good. I like quiet. I don't want to hear it.

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've been contemplating that myself lately for hunting... but definately have cutouts for when I feel the need to give in to my redneck side.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got a 78 Suburban 3/4 ton in the backyard that came factory with duals and no cats . It was based on GVWR .

I like regular ol turbo mufflers for cheapness !

7. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

No Cats

78 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with no cats and flys right through DEQ! No problemo! My understanding is that all 4x4's up to 78' had no cats due to them being off-road vehicles? I owned a 76 2 wheel drive scottsdale 350 that was loaded with smog equipment and in comparison my 78 GMC jimmy(K-5) which is originally from Arizona looks like my ol' 69 nova 350 as all it has is PCV! So yeah no cats on 4x4's 78 and earlier eh! Later

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Whatever the quietest muffler made is, I think I am running a pair of them now.:doah: I didn't think it would be so quiet, but compared to just turbos and no tailpipes I was like "Is this thing running?"

Anyway, what you want is a big muffler with fiberglass packing on the inside with the "S" shaped flow pattern through it. Putting cats on would make it quieter as well, as will long, bent tailpipes.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

throw a couple of '78 Caddy mufflers on there, with the secondary rear muffler and it will be QUIET,,,can't hear anything but the belts and air intake on the Caddy i have here.

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

My '91 'Burb V2500 has a cat but no air pump or anything else. The large "can" muffler was really quiet. I hated it. It was 2.25" also. Went to a 3" Flowmaster Force II system. Much Better w/o being loud.

11. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

thats good info, thanks... and i knew about the GVWR, just didnt think it applied here...

12. AV8

AV8 Registered Member

I've got an '83 3/4ton Sub and it didn't come with a cat. I always get hassled when I take it to get inspected.

13. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Passenger cars around 74 started having cats, trucks had none up till 78, and in 79 it was an option on half ton and 3/4 models, some had them, some didn't. 80 all half ton's did and 3/4 was an option up till 86 or 87 I believe, and it was an option on 1 tons up till 89 I think. Like it was stated earlier, its based on GVWR

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Quiter than your average turbo, Dynomax Super Turbos have the "S" shape and fiberglass matting. They're not too spendy either.

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

draggbody, your mistaken... In 78 my Blazer came without cats and came with factory dual exhaust. The research I did I found out that in 78 K-5 that came with a 400ci motor, didn't use cats.

A friend of mine had a 77 k-5 that had cat's and another guy had a 78 k5 with a 5.7L that had cats... I was told that the 400 in a 78 was a commercial vehicle.....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

whatever muffler GM put in 96 1/2 ton 2wd pickips with 305s in em. i cant tell when my brothers truck is running from inside.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

X2, these are some real quiet mufflers. The factory mufflers were stainless and last for a long time; I have 129,000 miles on my '96 with a 5.7 and it still looks real good. They must flow fairly good too because the Vortecs have decent power. They are a dual in/single out muffler. I like how quiet it is so I can hear that Vortec scream when I nail it... damn it's cool.

18. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i just put a stocker from a 79 on my truck and its quiet. My 96 tahoe is damn quiet, id say quieter then my 74 pup.

19. 78Suburban

Now that's the kinda advise I'm looking for :bow: Maybe I can find a poser around here who took his off and would give me a stock muffler :thinking: I wanna not be able to tell its running from the inside.. I can always put on some cheap exhaust cutouts for when I wanna disturb the peace :eek1:

20. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I had stock replacements for a 98 dodge van put on mine at the recomendation of the muff shop. Very nice, I love the low rumble and there is no drone on the highway.