Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The ravings of a lunatic mind. WOB mostly.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

In a weird mood today. Waiting very impatiently for the misses to go into labor. Were past the due date and still not in labor so I’m at work and it’s slow. The same old doldrums at work is wearing on me and I’m ready for some time off to get to know my new kid and to be able to actually hug my wife again. Between my fat gut and the baby we haven’t been able to do that in a long time. Guess I’m blowing off steam…. Better than choking the crap out of some idiot the desperately needs it because they can’t be bothered to read the instruction manual that comes with the product. What we call a RTFM problem.
    Been reading a bunch of new posts and sometimes I’m in total amazement of some of the dumb things I see people put into their posts. Here is one…they are a thief and bragging about it! THINK, you just admitted to taking something that wasn’t yours without permission…that’s steeling, you are a thief. Then you go on to admit you have done it multiple times so now your admitting to being a career criminal. Then you have, in writing, admitted you’re a thief in a VERY public place. Here’s your sign!
    Here’s one just as good….I’m doing illegal things on the road…DUHHH Gee we got like five or six officers of the law here. Think before you type. One of these officers may live in your town and not like you! Duhhh!
    Reminds me of a Dumb a$$ customer we had in the lobby of the place I work. We have a State Trooper IN UNIFORM not 10 ft down the counter from this idiot and he’s talking about how he and a bud intentionally destroyed a product we sell and then made a insurance claim on it. DUHHHHHHH That’s insurance Fraud…it’s a felony! You just bragged about it within earshot of a cop. I do mean earshot cause I was around the corner in my little space and could hear every word this moron said.
    Hay I just saw the same question for umpteenth time on a common issue. Steve has a tech section and most of it has been interesting mods. What if we made it bigger and put some common repair information in it? What do you think Steve? That doable? I’m talking common stuff like an example is “Heater core replacement”. Get some of the people here to submit them and when possible add pictures. That way when somebody comes in here with “how do I do it?” there will be a nice step by step instructions that they can print off and follow. When they ask we can say “Hay so and so submitted a great set of instructions. GO Here X” and you can print you off a copy”. Save some bandwidth and people can make addendum’s if something is different for different years. Here is a list I can think of off the top of my head that comes up often.
    Heater Core.
    Top removal
    Ball joints
    Steering arm removal
    Wheel bearings.
    Rear axle seals
    Front axle seals
    Steering box reseal
    Would that be helpful or take away from the board? Would you (Steve) be able to spare some time to get them up? I will volunteer to do the first one on heater core replacement. What do you think?
    Ok next rant…what’s up with all the bitch slap fighting?!?!?!?!?!!?! Stop that crap. Man I’m tired of having to scroll past that to get to something interesting. You got something foul to say to somebody do it in private instead of the rest of us getting annoyed at you for it. I enjoy the occasional fish story here and we are all guilty of them including me. Calling a little BS on it is not a big deal but being nasty about it makes me loose respect for that person more so then the fish story (if it even was one in the first place). When it gets like that it needs to go in private. If you know it’s true and somebody calls BS on it…take it with a grain of salt and not personally. You know it’s true, your friends and the people that have respect for you know it’s true and those that want to doubt you can go jump off a bridge. If you want to prove a point throw up a picture or some documentation and let it do the talking or debate it in a civil manner but being an A$$ doesn’t get us anywhere.
    Just got back for McD’s…what is wrong with them people? I asked for a handful of Ketchup! A handful is more that 3! I like fries with my Ketchup and when I ask for a handful I mean A HANDFUL! I had to ask for another handful to get 6. Christ you work there you don’t own the place…after it’s all done and said even giving me 20 packets of ketchup there’s at least 30% profit on the meal I just ordered. NO WONDER YOU WORK AT McD’s….you too stupid to get a real job that challenges your mind! Not directed towards our younger crowd that is in school and just needing a part time job for pocket money. Those people usually give me what I ask for, a handful, just like I clearly said. This was the freaking $10 an hour assistant manager who has made a career out of fast food and it took 3 years of working there to make it to assistant manager. Do they give bonus’s on the amount of Ketchup you save? Gee sorry but your only getting a $40 dollar bonus because you gave more than 3 packs out to one customer and we found 3 big Mac’s with more than 2 pickle slices!….Don’t let it happen again! Maybe next year, if this improves we can give you a $50 bonus.
    One of my customers that I do a lot of work for came in yesterday. He’s a logger and we got bitching about damn eco nazi’s. He couldn’t work because it rained the previous night and all this new craziness he has to stay within guidelines that say’s he “cannot rut more than 6 inches deep”. Then he has to remove all traces of road by regrading where the skidders run. What a bunch of crap. This is on private land owned by major paper company and it is run as a tree farm (for lack of a better term). This is to make the nazi’s happy.
    Hehe speaking of the eco nazi’s…..I hear they are loosing favor with the California people with all the black outs! Hahahaha. We want the dams gone cause of this fish (nevermind the Damns 50years old and the damage is done)….no Nuclear power. Gee they had an easy sell till all them folks were sitting in the dark in the middle of winter! Hahaha. Maybe there is hope for us yet…yeah we need to conserve but this is ridiculous. Finally something that the masses can get mad at the nut’s for if we can get them to realize this is the end result of all the donations they been giving to those eco cults hahaha.
    Ohhh well I’ll quit boring you all.

All the names and places have been changed to protect the not so innocent. I’m still probably guilty of being a hypocrite so sue me/flame me! I’m broke and got nomex underwear! Scuse me while I go and scratch my nuts….

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Point well made.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

YES, I would love the following tech articles and would be happy to put them in the tech section, the problem that I have is that most people are not motivated enough to put an article together unless they get something in return, sooo, how bout free stickers (1 windshield and 2 side) to anyone that submits a GOOD tech article, I know it's not much but all I can afford at the moment.
    Heater Core.
    Top removal
    Ball joints
    Steering arm removal
    Wheel bearings.
    Rear axle seals
    Front axle seals
    Steering box reseal

Grim, good luck with the new K5'er [​IMG] oh, and good luck with your nuts. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Grim-Reaper

Hay a sticker is more than I had hopped for. You got a deal on that. I would be honored to run a CK5 sticker on my trucks.

Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

LOL Grim...good luck with your new kid...or soon to be [​IMG]

Steve, I'll do an article...maybe like installing manual hubs or something....I don't know...but for the stickers, hell yeah...I know I should have some already, but I'm too cheap to buy em.[​IMG]
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Grim, I'll help on the ball joints. Im not a pro by no means, but its not rocket science. If I put the majority of it together, will you proof it for any possible variations for other year models and slap me when I let my head slips into my ass?
    Oh, one thing I just thought of, I guess it would be prudent to supply pictures along with hte diaglog. Damn this would mean I would need to pull mine all apart for good pics. However, I am about to re-gear my rear end (10 botl with an new LSD carrier, adn replace all seals and bearings) then Im going to the front for the same thing. So I'll have to pull the axles then. So while I have them out I'll do one on the ball joints and all that jaz that goes along with it. Let me know what you think. Drop me an E-mail if you like. It goes a little faster than the thread and I check it on a more regular basis.
    Peace.............

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, i'll grab the top removal write-up.
    i'm a computer idiot, so how do i go about it?
    i mean the actual posting part. i'm fairly articulate, but do i just whip it up in microsoft word and email it, or post it, or pm steve?

if i'm an idiot before i start, do i still get the job?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You go Grim, let it out Brother!

:)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You can whip it up on WORD and email it to me, as far as the pics the best thing is to post them on a free site and then email me the URL. If you can't do that just email me that you have them ready and then I will make sure to have enough room on y email server, then you can send them to me.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hey grim good luck with the baby hope everything goes well keep us posted

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK Grim I want you to pretend I'm your doctor!![​IMG]

NOW I want you to take at least two weeks off when baby Grim pops out! During that two weeks you must relax and drink beer when ever appropriot(sp?)[​IMG]. Oh ya and unplug the alarm clock cuz yer gonna need as much sleep as possiable inbetween the 2am feedings and diaper changes[​IMG]. This is manditory!!
    Don't for get about the beer!!LOL

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Well said everybody. While we are a little off topic, I just noticed that the eyes in the 'stone cold' skull blink in exact time with the Alan Jackson song "There goes my heart"
    Weird!

[​IMG]

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres already an article on the web for replacing the heater core. (with AC) its for the monte SS's, but the boxes are so similar, with a little tweaking, the article could be done in probably an hour by someone that is familiar with the process. (http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like the idea of more tech articles....but what about a fully all out FAQ for those common questions:
    manual hubs vs. auto
    How do I stop being a newbie and move up in rank?
    Gears, axles ratios, the simple stuff....
    How to install.....BLAH!!
    Also general terms...what is ..... axle, hub, drivetrain/engine parts...I know there are newbies out there that don't know the trems...
    What is an NP205 case....etc... you see what I mean...like an ARCHIVE!! Something to made dem Furd boys mad!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Goose i am lmao how did you notice that lol now i need to find my cd with that song and check it out.

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

16. Grim-Reaper

Uhhh as for copying the manual....Hmmmmm might be getting into a gray area. Any publication like that is probably covered by a copyright. May never have a issue with that but you never know...somebody with Haynes or the manufacture may show up and start a stink.

Grim-Reaper

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think a write up by any of the illustriuos members of this site would be much more entertaining and informative than anything you'll find in a haynes manual. Almost guaranteed to be more accurate! [​IMG]
    Maybe we could call it the "Common Repairs Archive" or something like that.
    On the rest of your rant Grim, I agree with you. Maybe you post will help some of us to focus a little more on friendly and informative posts and less on who/what/where is better than whatever. I've noticed a lot of new names lately and I don't want any of them to think its always like this here, becuase it's not. I look forward to all the new posts every time I log on, and the flames I've seen lately have taken away from that [​IMG]
    Steve, I'll be doing front axle u-joints very soon, I know its not on your list but I'll take some good (hopefully) pics and try and do a decent write up.If you think it'll help someone great if not, thats cool too.

Rene

[​IMG]

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of having a, whats the phrase Im looking for?, perosn more on my level explaining something to me, rather than someoen who is assuming that I am understanding what Im reading. Thats why it is so great to read alot of Grim's posts or even talk to him on the phone. The idea of having someone on your level just takes this idea to a whole new level. That's why Im am volunteering to help. When I first got here, I had all the mechanical inclination a person could have. But just jumping in a ripping you daily driver apart, be it as it may, or trail only, can be very intemidating. I remember taking the hubs off for the first time. SHOOOO, I had no clue what the hell I was doing, and it scared the be-jesus outta me. Hell I was an F-14 jet mechanic in the navy and some of the stuff we had to do there was like, "Where is the freaking engineer that designed this crap?" But over the past 4 years, I've been nothing more than a key puncher in theis damn new world of electricity, harddrives, bus', cpu's adn so forth. Hell, I had almost forgot how to change the oil. Well, maybe not that bad. But thanks to alot of you guys here Im back in the saddle.
    So to get on with it, and quit yapping, Im gonna start docing and picing everything that I do and submit it to Steve. If he posts it cool, if not I, will post them on my new site that I just started. You can note it in your fav's if you want. No need in going there right now, all your gonna see is a banner and the words saying its a k5 site and it under construction. But soon, young Skywalker, the force will be with you. ALWAYS!!!!

http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

19. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim hope the baby is coming/came along with no probs. Congrats man and welcome new CK5er.

20. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I don't think you can scan the manual and put it in, but.....

There's no reason you can't read it, understand it, and convey it to someone. Commonly referred to as paraphrasing [​IMG].

I think just people taking some pics when they do work goes a long way towards getting good articles on the web. Even if that person can't articulate the job, someone else can using the pics.

Plus I think a major problem on here is that people don't do a Search before they post. I know I am guilty of it on occasion, when I am in a hurry but if it's something general then I do a real good search for it. Maybe everybody could just use a good search tutorial [​IMG].

I had briefly mentioned something to Steve awhile ago about auto searching when making a new post, but nothing came of it. Anybody think its a good idea to resurrect????

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>