Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the reson I used a 6 foot pry bar to smack a nice dent in my fender

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 1, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cause installing an SM465 all by yourself with only a 5 ton jack that has a pad circle of about 3" is VERY VERY hard if not utterly impossible.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should rent a floor jack with a transmission head bracket to put the transmission in. They only cost about $15 to $20 a day to rent, and you usually will only need for one day. Taking the transmission out can be done with a little floor jack, but putting them back in is a whole different story. The SM 465 weighs about 400 pounds. Using a small floor jack to line up the splines and pilot bearing with the transmission input shaft, on a 400-pound SM 465, is like trying to park a Greyhound bus in a front row spot at the Mall on a Sunday afternoon.

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I agree. I used a floor tranny jack last time I pulled that heavy SOB out of my 72. I even did it with the transfer case attached.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a friend do it once using a motor hoist in the cab with chain dropped down through the tunnel holding the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used a cherry picker to install my Th350 and doubler as a single unit.

And as for the dent... Nah, I don't believe that... You just wanted to look more "hard core"... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nah I just wanted to care less. Not often trees leave single little dents in a couple inches. I tried the hoist thing, destroyed the dash(I didn't care it is coming out). Thing is I had to pull through the shifter hole cause thats all I have, this is an Auto to Stick swap so the tunnel doesn't just unbolt. I borrowed a tranny jack setup from a friend so as soon as dad gets the jack that I need to use home I will get to work on it.

7. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Did it the cherry picker through the cab way yesterday. Worked quite well. First time I used my new cherry picker and I love it already.

John

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a friend do it once using a motor hoist in the cab with chain dropped down through the tunnel holding the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

th350/203 at the adapter is almost balanced. We where covered in oil so I dont have during pics, but this is after it was pulled up and bolted in
    [​IMG]

pull the passengers seat and stick the engine hoist in. Hook it up, drop it down. pull it out slide the new one under and pulled it up into place /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Interesting. My 79 with the TH350 has a removable tunnel. I fabricated a large tray for my floor jack. Take out the small round pad and slide in the tray. I have removed and installed countless auto and manual trannies with and without the transfer case using it. Low tech but does the job.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I could remove the tunnel but there are no bolts, its pinched or spot welded together.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I could remove the tunnel but there are no bolts, its pinched or spot welded together.

[/ QUOTE ]

2wd cab ??
    hmm..

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my dads 85 blazer with a 465 does not have bolts for the tranny tunnel, so i didn't remove it.

when we put the cluch in all we had was a "big" 2.5 ton and a "small" 1.5 ton jack. the only way we could figure out how to do it was roll the blazer back and jack both jacks up a little bit till it was in and could put the bolts it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The SM 465 weighs about 400 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
    400lbs? I know mine doesn't weigh anywhere near that much...

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I was scratching my head one day on putting one of my TC cases back on and I completely forgot I had a motorcycle lift. Cut a piece of thick plywood out to make a platform on top of the two padded bars and I was cookin' with gas. Put the TC case on the big square flat plywood platform, adjusted the angle and tilt with smaller pieces of wood, and slid the thing right in. Did the same for the tranny earlier.

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea, I think they weigh more like 200 pounds. Did you here about the fish I caught that got away? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

th350/203 at the adapter is almost balanced. We where covered in oil so I dont have during pics, but this is after it was pulled up and bolted in
    [​IMG]

pull the passengers seat and stick the engine hoist in. Hook it up, drop it down. pull it out slide the new one under and pulled it up into place /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks dangerous, it ripped your pant leg!! It's on the passenger floorboard!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

ohhhh (Tim The Toolman Taylor noise)

Motorcycle lift... creative use of tools. Also be good for horking winches, bumpers, anything heavy... and there's this guy in Emeryville who has cheap ones... hmm...

-- A

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The way I installed my trannt was with a floor jack but we couldn't get the damn t-case to balance on the jack at all so three guys lifting got the job done.

19. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The SM 465 weighs about 400 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
    400lbs? I know mine doesn't weigh anywhere near that much...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 465/205 Combo weighs 400 when bolted together. And I feel his pain, I had to put the combo in by myself.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ohhhh (Tim The Toolman Taylor noise)

Motorcycle lift... creative use of tools. Also be good for horking winches, bumpers, anything heavy... and there's this guy in Emeryville who has cheap ones... hmm...

-- A

[/ QUOTE ] Friend told me to do that, but I don't have a motorcycle jack, just a snowmobile jack, which is too big for under the blazer. Dad figured out a good setup for it, I will take pictures. I could have done it as well, but I'm too damn weak to lift I'm under the blazer onto the jack and all.