Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The rest of the country needs to grow a pair...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTMike, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What a bunch of wusses....

100 Degree heat cooks CA for 4 days, it's all over CNN... It moves over MT, WY, CO, ND & SD and the news/weather channel is quiet.... it moves east and all of a sudden the national news & the weather channel is all over the "record heat" again.

Same thing in the winter..... the east coast gets down to 20 degrees and 6" of snow and National news is all over it showing the entire states shut down, stores run out of bottled water & canned food, drivers sliding off the interstate. The Rocky Mountain states get hit with a storm that drops 18" of snow when it's -20 and you won't hear a word about it on the Weather Channel.

Maybe we're just tougher here, or at least we bitch about the weather less..... but from the sounds of it the rest of the country needs to man up and go take a dip in the river :D

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was kinda thinking the same thing. They're talking 11x temps in Cali...we were upper 90's lower 100's for a good bit with wicked humidities and there wasn't a peep about the midwest. Heat advisories? Ha, we worked longer days last week than the rest of the summer.

Amen on the snow thing too. Put your big girl pants on and deal with it.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its always hot year, so anytime it drops below 30* its a big deal:haha:

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

No kidding Mikey, every heat advisory day Ive either been outside sweating my keister off, or in a shed thats about 20 degrees hoter then outside:doah: ... least i was in the shade:haha:

havnt heard much talk about how our Corn crop isnt gonna ammount to much either...what do the city folk care though

5. mikey_d05

Corn needed rain a couple of days ago. We got a fair amount this morning and are supposed to get more tonight. Guy I work with runs a farm with his family, I thought he was gonna do a tap dance on the hood of the truck when he came in this morning.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

110* is our normal now. Local news is all complaining and people are bitchin, inyet just a few years ago it was towards 120* this time of year. Just a bunch of pussies...

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

EXCUSE ME!!!!:mad: It was 100+ for 10 days strait, and most of them were 110*+:D

It's simple, there are far more people near the water at both sides. Everyone out in the middle gets left out, but I like it that way.

Soon as our ranch sells in here Democralifornia, I'm headed your direction.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Took my Raytec infrared thermometer in the engine room today of a big twin diesel Sportfish we had just test run that I needed to do some work on...

135 ambient temp... :eek1:

Needless to say, I got that job done in a hurry... :doah: :haha:

9. mikey_d05

How do you get an ambient air temp with an IR thermometer?

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

haha, well actually you can't... I do have Pyrometers that can, but my Raytec stays in my rigging bag, so it was handy...

That was just random temps of the fiberglass floor, stringers, a cardboard box on the floor, etc... The average was about 135, so I have to assume that the general overall temp was about that, certainly felt it, actually hard to breathe... 1200 hp Mann's put out some heat, especially running up and down the bay for 45 minutes... :doah:

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here in Las Vegas it is 100* + for 3-months straight every summer. :D

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

People bitch when the weather does something unusual for their area. If your body isn't used to 110 plus degree heat, then you are miserable. If you live in 0ver 100 degree weather on a regular basis, then you adapt to it. Same with winter weather.

13. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

last night i lost 200 servers last night due to heat. Im hating it.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

96 here today...

It'll be 100 degrees here wednesday--it was 96 here today with 70% humidity..I like the heat,I'd rather sweat than freeze or shovel snow anyday!--I was born on august 5 in 1958,my mom said it was much like today, the day I was born!..but I could do without the humidity..the air was thick enough to cut with a knife today,and tomorrow is going to be even worse..but by thursday we'll be back to 80,and 70's over the weekend..we dont get too many "heat waves" here that last more than a few days..I wish we had more hot days than cold here,and it stayed light until 8:30 pm longer too!..

But I'm sure everyone will do thier best to melt all the power plants by using too much A/C and fans,God forbid they might get their undies wet with sweat!..listening to TV,you'd think the apocolypse is here!..its the same every winter when more than 6" of snow falls too--"live" tv coverage,of he "blizzard of --- (insert year)...they had a field day in 2005,when we had 25 storms in a row,with several 2+ feet!..might think they never saw snow before!...

I have to mow my lawn tomorrow,and finish fixin up 2 mowers for a friend so I can get some $$...it'll suck,but every day does somehow lately..if the heat is my only problem,it'll be a great day...;)

I might have to stay in "Lowe's" longer than I did today though--sure felt nice in there,with the A/C cranked!..but I only stayed long enough to buy 2 spark plugs,and back to my 130 degree truck cab...:doah:but soon enough I'll be bitching about cold and snow,so I can deal with a little heat.. :crazy:

15. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Some idot designed my appartment the wrong way... The in wall ac unit(like one at a motel) dumps into the hallway, that is only vented by two small windows. I had the maitenece guy come out to take the temp and it was 147 degrees in the hallway, and my a/c wasn't working. It was 113 inside of my appartment. Boy was last night miserable.

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know several people up north that don't have AC in their cars and only small units in their homes. I would bitch too if I didn't have AC.

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ranton]Anyone have the latest weather reports for Iraq or Afghanistan? You don't hear our troops bitchin' cause it's too hot and they don't have AC. They don't even bitch when they get shot at daily.
    Yeah, it's been a couple degrees hotter than HELL here for the last month, BFD. Deal with it, it'll cool down eventually. Life is a mother.[/rantoff]
    I think I'll throw some steaks on the grill, OUTSIDE, and have a couple of cold beers after work. It is summertime, ya know.

John

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A/c??

I have had probably 30+ cars since I got my licence--out of all of them,only 3 or 4 had factory A/C,and only ONE of them worked for more than a few hours before the compressor seized!--other ones I tried to resurect were a failure..had major issues like a ruptured condensor or evaporator core,one truck the pressure hose on the compessor explode while I was adding freon!.. :eek1: --I said "F" this,I'll just leave the windows open,and buy a 15 dollar fan instead!..

Only my Ford Contour has an operational A/C unit,but the blower motor wont run on anything but low speed,or medium if I press in on the switch!--so all I get is a gentle cold breeze while moving!..I have to go to a boneyard to see how to remove the dash panel,and get another switch--I cant see any screws,and don't want to bust up the trim trying to pry it off--I'll likely find one already off at the boneyard..but no way am I going there today and look!..its 99 degrees now,a high of 103 expected ,with a dew point of 75!..:eek1:

We have a 18,000 BTU A/C unit in the upstairs kitchen,but its costly as hell to run all day--its 220V..also have a few "room" A/C's that are not even in the windows,for much the same reason--can't afford to use them!--we get by with fans,and I stay in my room down in the cellar on days like this,or go hide out in the pine grove in the backyard,where its 20 degrees cooler..its a waste of money to have A/C in a car in my opinion--its nice,but not mandatory like it would be in southern states...a few weeks a year is all we get for heat,and after freezing for 6 months,I think it feels GOOD!..--if it gets too bad,Cape Cod is only 15 miles south of me,and the water temp there is 65 degrees!...:D

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The few Furds I've torn the dash off, trim is held in by snappy things. Just pry a corner till it comes loose!

20. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now I lived in 29 Palms for 3 or so years and yeah the temps in the desert often reached 100+ degrees and no biggie. Hell if I wanted fried eggs just walk to the sidewalk, crack a few and them come back and get them.

Now the heat we have been having on the east coast is totally different, due to we have humidity out here. Takk 100+ degree weather, add in 80% humidity and you have a scorcher here on the east coast.

I would much rather tolerate the heat of the desert than this weather we are getting now.

My AC in the house crashed today and man when I walked in today, I went out to work on the truck as it was cooler outside.