Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The right locker for me?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scrubby, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 blazer, 1/2 ton axles, and 33s. I'm a once in a while wheeler, and I don't go very hard core. I'm looking for a locker for my 12 bolt.

I'm curious if it is worth going with the detroit in the 12 bolt. Would I be ok with something like a lock right since the 12 bolt isn't that strong anyway? Or is it just worth the money to get a detroit?

I'm going to stick with the 1/2 ton gear for a while. I know the best way to go is to get a 14 bolt and drop the detroit in there, but I don't want to go there yet.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i wouldnt put any locker in a 12 bolt...especially considering the way you use it. Lockers are really only needed for hardcore stuff. They don't help the resale value of half ton stuff really, so its not a very good investment either.

j

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

For what you would pay (or less) for a locker for a 12 bolt , you can find a 14B already with a locker. just find one with the same gears may be the only obstacle. It's just a bolt in swap..normally

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lockright , inexpensive , you CAN install yourself :k5: :k5:

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Put a lockright in it. $200, and an hour of your time and you are done. Cary a spare shaft just in case, but unless you wheel with your glued to the floor, you shouldnt need it.

If you go 14b, you need to swap to 8 lug rims, and with only 33's you can kiss ground clearance goodbye. A locked 12 bolt should hold up just fine with only 33's as long as you dont get crazy with the stupid pedal.

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Lockrite