Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The same spark plug fouls every week...help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by platapus, Sep 30, 2006.

1. platapus

platapus Registered Member

I have a SB 350 in my K5, it has developed an annoying problem, about once a week the same sparkplug fouls due to carbon build up (it fills in the gap on the electrode, causing no spark). The rest of the plugs a very clean, any ideas as to what is causing this? Should I swith to a hotter plug?

Thanks

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Does that plug-fouling cylinder vary from the other 7 on a compression test or a leakdown test?

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I'd also be suspicious of a leaky valve guide on that cylinder. nothing fouls a plug up like lots of oil..

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

something is telling me it's a cracked ring or something..... b/c my buddys Monte Carlo did that same thing every week til he tore the motor down to find a cracked ring in the cyl. that was fouling the plugs.
    LUKE

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had that same problem, i dealt with it because i couldnt actually deal with it the right way so i just cleaned em and put em back in. if i drove more than 30 minutes straight it would foul out with oil but if not i could go forever if i just took short drives. so really i have no idea what it was because i sold it.
    sorry for the worthless reply

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem on my vette. it has one bad cylinder that fouls out every 100 miles. its becouse of oil, most likly the valve seal or guide. iput on what they call a " no foul " . its a little thing you screw on the plug then install in the head. it keeps the oil from getting on the electrode but you still have spark. if your engine is not too bad it will work. you can buy one at a auto parts store not expensive.

7. platapus

platapus Registered Member

Thanks scrappy - That sounds like a good temp solution. Im going to drop a crate motor in. But this buys me some time until Im ready to do that.