Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Sawzall is addictive... when do sliders become boatsiding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dangit, I enjoy cutting :hack: too much. I was just gonna weld in some square tube (well, rectangular) to replace my sills and maybe notch the rocker boxes. But they were rusty and not doing much and the tube didn't fit well with them ... so I cut them out. (Well, one side ... gotta do the other yet.)

Anyway, put a nice 2x6 .250 wall tube along there, integral slider like. Won't have to trim my doors (they're half doors, so it's not like it matters, but I'm lazy) and the tube is stout enough that it should take rock hits no problem.

I'm still debating reinforcing the 2x6 to the frame ... or is that A Bad Thing and I should leave it only attached to the body? It just looks like some lateral strengthening is called for.

Opines?

-- A

rockers-cut-1.jpg

rockers-cut-2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Looks like you added a little something something to my roll cage......

3. dremu

I *tole* you it got customized =))

Here's an over-all pic of the cage ... you can't hardly see it, but the spare is up there ... and here's another installed pic, with some idiot trying to be gramma Clampett...

-- A

cage-1.jpg

clampett.jpg

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

why did you have to go and show me those pics... i've been thinking the rockers on my 73 hung too low, but i would want them reinforced, but how? maybe tied into the cage somehow?

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Need to put grannie up there in that chair :doah:

ALTHOOOOOOUGH, that would be an interesting perspective while out wheeling,,, :thinking:

6. dremu

Yeah, my buddy who took the pic -- and made me throw a spare bucket seat up there -- was saying it might make a hell of a spotter position.

Note the seat isn't bolted down or nothing, so it's held in place in that pic primarily by the suction of my butt puckered down to the spare!

At least the spare is solidly mounted to the cage.

-- A

7. dremu

Well, with the rocker boxes cut out, one could easily do slider-to-frame ... I'm thinking that some 2x2 square tube would work nicely... weld to the slider, and put some angle iron or something on the inside to bolt to the frame.

Might be overkill though. ::Shrug:: Those rocker boxes take up a lot of space and just collect dirt and rust, from what I saw.

-- A

8. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

who done it?

Who did your cage? Looks really good, and it looks like the cab is still really functional.

9. dremu

It started life as a Simttybilt cage, I believe, that I got from Desert Rat (thus his commentary above :) )

I cut off the rear runners from the Smittybilt and ran new tubes to an aftermarket rear roll bar. The lower cab sections were bent by a local guy and I added a coupla lateral sections as well (the unpainted sections vs. painted in the third pic.)

The cab is still nicely open, yes, and the cage makes it easier, actually, to weasel in and out of the half doors. (Yes, I know the second pic has the full doors.)

I am still contemplating running a bar across the dashboard at some point, but with the front legs the way they are, it would be REALLY close to the tranny shifter unless I have it custom bent. I figure if/when I put in lateral bits for the seats to mount to, I may do it all then.

Oh, and thanks!

-- A

smittybilt.jpg

inbetween.jpg

emubilt.jpg

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Going to the frame not overkill.....

Go high and nix the doors...

Matt (az-k5) just did it the right way!
    [​IMG]

Marv

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i like that pic, is there more or a write up from him?

12. dremu

bbbbbut uncle Marv, I *like* my doors :haha:

I note that he used bushings to the frame, though. I think that's partially why I'm leery of just bolting to the frame, as it'll be a direct mechanical coupling from frame to slider to body.

-- A

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

:screwy: bah!.... :D

Bushings is a good way to go. Rob's (therobzilla) is hard to the frame. still works! :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    Marv

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I didn't want to make it too rigid, since the rest of the cage (well now more of a full truggy with all of the tube it has now) is tied into bushings since it happened in phases and the body supported the main cage until the boatsiding. The only thing I don't like about the bushings is that the bending moment about the tube is cut in half since it makes a hinged connection. I want to try and fit two bushings for each landing and triangulate the area. I probably won't get around to it and will build a full on buggy if it is a big enough problem.

I am still trying to get doors back on. I have to rebuild a lower hinge, and cut the crap out of them (both for the boat side and the nose tie in). We'll see.

15. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

OMG that is F#$king so kick ass :bow: u have gave me inspiration to follow your path, any more pics or specs on what u did? i really like this.