Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The secret life and times of Chaz88K5!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm..... Notice the "Online time" in this picture.....

The pic kinda sucks...Had to resize it to get it small enuff. Got fuzzy in the porcess. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I need to see if I can get a shot of mine. My PC has been online for close to three months now without ever getting disconnected or turned off.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

9 Day's 3 Hours 10 Min's

Damn! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    You've gone 3 months without a reboot?!? I make it a point to reboot daily, windows can't handle going that long with rebooting... it is way too sloppy of an OS. I bet that if you were to reboot your PC, you would notice a huge difference in performance between pre and post reboot.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a cable modem so i'm signed on all the time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i have a cable modem so i'm signed on all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    same here /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You've gone 3 months without a reboot?!? I make it a point to reboot daily, windows can't handle going that long with rebooting... it is way too sloppy of an OS. I bet that if you were to reboot your PC, you would notice a huge difference in performance between pre and post reboot.

[/ QUOTE ]

*snicker**snicker* /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

It cracks me up when I hear this sort of nonsense.

With over 10 years experience working with Windows I'll be the first to say that it is far from a perfect operating system. As a matter of fact, if I were to rate all of the operating systems available today according to stability and security I KNOW that my first choice would not be a Microsoft OS. But after many years as an Administrator of WinNT and Win2k servers, I have found that most problems (especially performance degradation and instability issues) are directly caused by "sloppy" configurations by whomever setup the machine and poorly written applications.

Regarding time between re-boots, let's check out some of the machines in my world:

Domain Controllers
    Out of the first 9 domain controllers I checked, 6 had been running longer than 90 days:
    \\TMEDC013 ----- 236 Day's 5 Hours 15 Min's
    \\TMWDC127 ----- 352 Day's 12 Hours 58 Min's
    \\TMWDC129 ----- 196 Day's 4 Hours 13 Min's
    \\TMNDC155 ----- 239 Day's 11 Hours 2 Min's
    \\TMNDC156 ----- 112 Day's 2 Hours 46 Min's
    \\TMCDC198 ----- 364 Day's 6 Hours 27 Min's

Application Servers
    The first six application servers I checked had all been running longer than 90 days:
    \\TMWSR003 ----- 195 Day's 8 Hours 11 Min's
    \\TMWSR005 ----- 292 Day's 16 Hours 24 Min's
    \\TMWSR009 ----- 292 Day's 15 Hours 57 Min's
    \\TMRDT042 ----- 122 Day's 2 Hours 27 Min's
    \\TMRDT049 ----- 327Day's 4 Hours 35 Min's
    \\TMRDT065 ----- 201 Day's 8 Hours 32 Min's

All of these machines handle hundreds (or thousands) of users. System performance is monitored constantly and if ANY degradation is noted in one of these machines it is investigated immediately. I can't remember the last time I saw a serious problem that was not a result of sloppy programming (in an application) or setups that did not conform to the documented configuration.

There are no "secret tricks" to keeping a WinNT or Win2k machine running, you just need to pay attention when you are setting it up.

The best comparison I could make in this forum would be to compare setting up a server to assembling an engine. Some people are very good at it and others only think they are good . Almost any goofball with a wrench could put an engine together with off the shelf parts and make it run. It may run great at first but after a few hundred miles it might start to slow down a bit, lose power, overheat and it might even puke parts all over the place. But when an experience engine builder puts an engine together, you can be confident that it will run strong and be very reliable for a long time.

NO operating system is stable and secure right out of the box. There are always things that need to be configured and setup for each individual machine.

If you do find that your machine starts to slow down and act goofy then you CAN just keep re-booting every so often or you can fix the problem. This is the same as replacing the battery in your truck every few miles because it runs out of juice. It runs great when you get the new battery in there but after awhile it slows down and eventually dies again. So rather than replace the busted alternator, you just put another battery in there and call it good.

I guess you could say that a stable Windows machine is "Built, not Bought".

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

First of all, I would like to start off by thanking you for your unwaranted attack on me. I don't feel that I deserved that, especially when the remark wasn't even directed towards you. Great... you've been working with computers for 10 years and have the time to constantly monitor them for performace degradation and whatnot. Not everybody has the time, NOR CARES, weather or not an application was written sloppy and is causing bad system performace... not everybody has the knowledge to know what is going on. I applaude you on your computer skill, without people like you there would be no internet, there would be no ck5, hell... there probably wouldn't even be home PCs around if people like you hadn't picked up on the computer craze in it's infancy. I do know, however, that when things get sluggish and weird that a reboot usually helps. I'm not gonna sit there and dig apart all of my programs in an attempt to find a line of code that is improperly using CPU cycles or some BS... I'm just gonna reboot and be done with it. I'm not trying to bust on you here... just tone it down a little big guy... You act like we all wanted to know that you have computers that have been running since January. I doubt dieselmh is running himself a server there, or that he treats it like it's doing space shuttle calculations for nasa and is constantly monitoring it's performace in every possible way. I bet that if he rebooted things would seem a bit more quick... but thats besides the point, he should hire an IT supervisor as witty and as knowledgable as you are.

9. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

yea well this is on his nextell he has aol im on it. wish i had a phone like chaz /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

WHOA, WHOA ...... Hold on a sec.....

I really didn't intend for you to take that as a personal attack. If that's how you took it then I apologize.

I was only responding to what I saw as misleading and inaccurate information.

I took notice because I often see and hear crack-pots talking about the "sloppy" or "cruddy" or "awful" operating systems that MS puts out. Usually these stupid folks are just repeating garbage that they heard on the latest newscast or read in an "anti-Microsoft" newsgroup. Most of the time these folks don't even use any MS operating systems. Rarely do these folks have any REAL knowledge about what they are talking about.

You certainly don't sound like a crack-pot and I'm sure you are not stupid. As a matter of fact you are absolutely correct that a system re-boot will often help a machine that is running poorly.
    The reason for that is because usually the problem is caused by something being configured incorrectly and re-booting lets everything start from scratch. So it should run better for a while. But my point is that I still recommend that if you have a machine that needs to be re-booted constantly it would be a good idea to ask someone who knows what they are talking about to help find out what's wrong.

This is the same as when my TH350 craps out. I may try to fix it myself since I do have a little experience with automatic transmissions. But you can bet that I would try to get as much advice as possible from folks who really understand automatics so I can be sure to get everything right. But the chances are still pretty good that I would screw it all up so it might be better for me to pay someone to do the work for me. That way, I know it will get done right.

he should hire an IT supervisor as witty and as knowledgable as you are.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <ul type="square"> [*]I am not an IT supervisor. I did my time and moved on to other things.
    [*]Witty??? Hmmmm, I'm not sure how to respond to that.
    [*]Knowledgable?? I certainly don't know it all but after working with this stuff for so long, a person can't help but learn a few things. No matter how much of a Goober he may be. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif [/list]

So, You're from Swartz Creek. Isn't that up by Flint? I know folks from all over that area, very beautiful area out there in Michigan.

Have a great day!

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Don't worry, I think I may have read a little too much into it. No harm, no foul...

Yes, SC is about 5 minutes out of flint on I-69. If your ever gonna be in the area visiting shoot me a PM or something....

I apologize if I over-reacted.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I was just in Kalamazoo a few weeks ago. That's a little ways away but at least it was in your state! Unfortunately it was for a funeral so it wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Sure, maybe you could show me some wheeling spots out there.