Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The short Buss....A towrig build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GEORGIA GABE, Jun 18, 2006.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I have been wanting a full on towrig for a while, Ive been hauling the K5 around with a half ton chevy and its just sketchy. So I visited one of my favorite sites www.craigslist.org and found just what I needed. A shuttlebus! E350 chassis with dual rear wheels a 460 and an E40D. I bought it for $400 and had it towed to my shop.... one starter and a fresh battery and Vroom... it runs. So far I have put new strut rod bushings, a center support bearing and I am waiting on a new PSOM (programmable speedometer odometer module) It relays the signal from the speed sensor to the computer to tell the trans when to shift. I bought some captains chairs from the junkyard...leather power adjustable out of a conversion van. Installed new tires and a window ac unit in the rear. I have alot of plans for it but this is just the start.
    gabe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Awesome! :haha::haha::haha:Do you need a CDL to drive that and are you gonna leave that bed or make it into a people hauler with a back half with plenty of storage to store everything? :bow:

3. GEORGIA GABE

Im making the cab a camper.. thus the bunk beds. I will tow the k5 on a trailer. on the passanger side below the molding where its bent up I am going to make a slide out with a truck tool box on it. that should be plenty of storage considering whats inside. As far as a cdl goes, no its just a one ton. But I did have to start a commercial policy since the vin is for a comercial vehilcle. The commercial ins. wound up being cheaper for all of my cars....wtf?

gabe:D

4. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I envision a flatbed to haul the toy on top of. With the correct weight capacity of course.

My dad bought one of those from Big Sky airlines here in Montana. Big Sky removed some of the letters so it would not appear to be a company bus and they removed the "g" from Big.

So he drove it around with it reading "Bi Sky":haha:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes, watch that gas mileage. My mom has a van almost identical to that one (hers has a wheelchair lift!) and even when not towing something she gets sub-10mpg. I imagine with 7000 of trailer/k5 behind it it'd be even worse. That 460 oughta be able to haul anything tho. :thumb:

j

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Air Conditioning would have sold me. :D

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice!!

I've seen about a dozen of those "shuttle"bus vans come and go at a local junkyard--the airports and limo services scrap them or sell them after they hit 100,000 miles,whether they run good or not!..many of them have the 7.3 Diesel motor too!..but they usually ruin the fiberglass shell taking it off the ramp truck with a forkloader..I've always wanted to snag one and convert it to a motor home.....but I'd have to buy one BEFORE it gets hauled to the junkyard..once they get it,it IS junk..:crazy: ....

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Party Bus!!!!

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Good plan. I would scrap the bunk beds for a couple of futons or some fold outs, from the side.. I have been thinking of buying a real" short bus" as a tow rig.

Wouldn't the neighbors love to see that parked in front of the house.

10. GEORGIA GABE

the bunk beds are temporary, Another craigslist find. I just needed something I could use this weekend.
    gabe

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

The dog seems to approve of the bed.

12. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

looks like it has a bit of rock rash on the passenger side... perfect :D already looks tough as hell! Imagine lifting one of those buses LOL

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet find and way cool project. I too am a Craigslist junkie!!! I have bought and sold more things on there than I can remember...lol