Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The snowball effect.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stroked72Blazer, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Shortly before chistmas I was going to replace my axle shaft u-joints. This was my first time to work on a 4wd so I went in kind of blind. I had a lot of trouble getting the spinlde off so I got frusterated and said to hell with it the ball joints are wornout any way so out came the BFH. This didn't work either so I finally broke down and bought a manual.

Finally I got the axle out and said well I've gone this far I might as well replace all the seals, bearings, drag links, and tie rod ends. Hey, while I'm at it why don't I buy some POR 15 and paint all these parts.

I was in the proscess of cleaning and painting when the phone rings. Some one wanted to buy the 350 I had in the Blazer. Well that was about how much I needed to finish my 383 off so out came the motor.

Now the motor is out and I find all the bad wires in the wiring harness so I located a new one and out came the old one.

Back to the cleaning. Hey I should probably clean and paint that engine compartment while I'm at it. Damn this things a mess. The gearbox has a bad leak in it and crud is baked on. If only that fenderwell wasn't there I could get to the gear box better. Is that rust I see on the other fender well?

Now the fender wells are out but that front grill is a little beat up maybe I should take that to the shop and see what they can do with it while they patch that fender well. Damn the bumper is in the way.

Good thats done, but I could get in there and clean so much easier if I pulled the radiator sapport. Only 6 bolts that was easy...it's hanging on the fenders....man I can't get to those bolts without pulling the cowel...the windsheild wipers are in the way of that.

Back to cleaning. SOS pads and alot of elbo grease and I finaly got it all clean, but that gear box is still leaking.....

2. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

just a day in the life of an obsessive compulsive blazer fanatic /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yup thats how it happens lol are you addicted yet?

4. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

And so it begins... another one sucked into the vortex of "minor repairs"! Get used to it though. If yours is like mine, you'll never be at a shortage of things to fix! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Otherwise known as a case of the might-as-wells.

6. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

I went to swap in a disc brake front end and brake lines into my '68 K10 and the next thing I knew, I had a bare frame on the garage floor with every single nut and bolt removed. Still haven't got it back together but the chassis and running gear look damn good and I did get the disc front and lines installed. We just don't know when to say when! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stroked72Blazer

Ok, I now have the whole front clip off and have cut out the front crossmember (some idiot thought it would be a good place to hook a chain to to pull one of the previous owners out of the mud). I have found the leak on the gear box and have most of my parts clean. Now, I just need to put in a new seal on the gear box and start putting it back together. Now would be a good time to replace some brake lines.......

8. racecar16

racecar16 Newbie

Just don't forget.....No job is done untill the BFH is put away! As for the Might As Well's. Well just might as well get it over with! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If you finally get it all fixed that just means you're not wheeling enuf. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Stroked72Blazer

11. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

My wife just shakes her head and laughs when ever I say "It's almost done". But we all know It's the vehicle that gets used when you absolutly have to get there! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I thought I'd be done a year ago....now I know it'll never be quite done. Always something on the list. Have fun!!