Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The sputtering saga continues.....85 GMC Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GloNDark, Sep 10, 2002.

1. GloNDark

GloNDark Registered Member

OK some of you helped me out with a backfiring problem I had last week with my rig.

Diagnosis was air leaking into the exhaust manifold and causing backfire on deceleration. Headers on, problem solved. No more backfiring.

However I noticed last night while test running it, it still sputters on deceleration. Nothing major, but it is noticable. What could cause this? Runs great on accel, but let off and putter putter putter.....then idles (A little rough still for my tastes too.)

There is no vaccum advance on this distributor, which leads me to believe maybe an ignition module could be failing on me. But I don't want to go buy one if that ain't even close to the problem. Any more ideas?? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif:D
    THANKS AGAIN!

Chris

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

check the timing. i had a simular problem and the distributor had backed off.

also, are you running a q-jet? the new headers might be opening up the engine a bit more, so some tuning might be in order.

3. GloNDark

The timing is right where I run it on my small block in the cruiser.

Tuning the carb is a good idea. I think I will tear out all the old crap first, cause I don't even want to learn how to tune that damn emmissions carb. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

welp, each engine has its own character. Hell, my buddy's 5-oh has every deamon inside it since the dawn of time, IMO, hence my avatar /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I would work with the carb and slightly screw with the timing. 1-2 degrees is sometimes the difference between a good running engine and a great running engine.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

wow you sure are a long way from home (POR)
    let me just say [finger /forums/images/icons/grin.gif finger] welcome newbie

6. GloNDark

Why thank you! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif:D:D

POR is great for stuff on my cruiser.....but no one seems to visit the chevy forum in there. So here I am. First time blazer owner....long time listener. Or something like that.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

* rummages around for the "GET THE NEWBIE" pic...*

8. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

It is possible that you have an exhaust leak somewhere. For awhile I had one muffler that had a busted inlet, sounded fine till I let off the accelerator to coast to a stop, when the sputtering happened. Under acceleration and maintaining speed, it was fine. I Put new Summit Turbo muffs on it and no more sputter.