Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The start of another build up Thread...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Basic formula old truck cab, internal roll cage, bucket seats, tube doors, tube the front in place of sheetmetal (with a little bit of sheetmetal and a hood still there), tube frame for the bed area w/ built in tool storage, Dually Dana 60 and Dana 70 w/4.56 gears, 37" tires, H1 beadlocks, 6.2L diesel...

This is a slight variation to a plan I dreamed up a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cab: 1948-50 Ford F1 cab, rust free, very minimal dents only hack I found was where the dash gauges mount and I'll be replacing that with a custom gauge panel anyway.
    [​IMG]

The frame: I am thinking solid axle 1980-85 Toyota pickup frame for light weight and ease of running a solid axles w/ leaf springs. Found what was left of a 1982 Toyota pickup this week and stripped the cab, bed and sheetmetal off of it already.
    [​IMG]

The axles, wheels and tires I already have. Been under my M1028 for the last couple years but geared too low for a tow rig and the truck was too big to build as a wheeler in the long run. I'll probably replace the axles with a 3.73 geared 10b/14FF combo and sell it off as a rolling chassis.
    [​IMG]

This weekend I need to finish wiring my garage for 240V and run a few new 120V outlets as well. Then I will start applying some herculiner to the cab interior, possibly pickup some paint for the cab exterior as well. If time allows I will take the frame down for a trip thru the car wash.

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Wow, what a project! Can't wait to see you tear into Mr. Kenny!

Hey, just a heads up...I owned several 80-84 Toyota trucks. There are several areas you really need to check well on that frame as the metal used in those frames was from Japan, not the US. 1985 marked the changeover to US Steel and the frame/bodies held up much better.

1) Passenger side, where the gas tank is located, inside frame where the frame starts to accend to clear the rear wheels, right near the front rear spring hanger. Frame rusts out badly. Take a hammer to it and hit it. If it indents or punches through, you've got some work to do.

2) Front crossmember where the front bumper mounts. Check where frame siderails meet the crossmember.

3) Rear front spring hanger. Check for cracks, frame deterioration.

Hope that helps, and can't wait to see you running amuck in this rig!

Manny

3. kennyw

Luckily there is absolutely no rust anywhere on this truck or frame. I do need to clean all the mud off, but it still has the factory paint in the area's I can see.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Can't wait to see what you do with it. Sounds like a recipe for an awesome project. Subscribing. :D

5. kennyw

Just hauled the toyota cab and flatbed in for scrap and came back with $80 in my pocket! Not too bad considering what I paid for it...

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That cab has some bada$$ lines to it...

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Should be interesting Kenny, I'll be watching too.:D

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the drawing looks cool. I want to see this one too. Good luck.

9. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

subscribing.. i will be watching ur project!