Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Stepside is just about done... so I am afraid.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's all together, one color, and running. It's pretty much done, which means I am very afraid.
    Afraid because any time I get something done or almost done, something happens. Like the motor blows up or something major breaks.
    But for now, all thats left is to bolt up the winch, adjust the timing some more, and put on the light bar I traded for and a couple other lights up front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Several days ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and even further back in time just over a year ago how it looked:
    [​IMG]

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Looks great. Did you flat black paint it or have it done?

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what are the specs?

4. mountainexplorer

So far it's about 9 cans of Wal-Marts cheapest black spray paint. And I didn't even use masking tape. I still have a few areas to touch up with paint.

The Stepside is an '82 with a 454 bored .030 over, flattop pistons, Comp 270 duration/.516 lift cam, 98cc chamber heads, Pete Jackson gear drive, Holley intake and carb, headers, (I have a couple hundred bucks cash and alot of trading into the motor parts), SM465 4spd, NP205, Dana 60 front with Detroit, 14-bolt rear with Detroit and disc brakes, 4.10 gears, 4" suspension lift, no body lift, trimmed out fenders that retain the factory body lines, near brand new 37x13x16 Boggers on brand new 16x10 Eagle Alloys (cost me $700 for rims and tires), and soon to have a Warn 9000lb winch once I take it off my car trailer.

5. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

wow, that's sweet, good luck, i hope nothing breaks.

6. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

got any more pics of the fender trimming? I've got a '78 step side that I'm fixing up, and yours looks great!

7. mountainexplorer

Here's a couple side views.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want I could try and take and send you some more closer up shots. Theres was some massive inner fender trimming and welding to make it mold around the firewall. It clears 40" tires without rubbing.

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

that is awsome, now you are making me jealouse!!!LOL i wanna get a stepper side now

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

F*cking Awsome!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Horray for stepsides :D

10. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

nice truck hope it works out for ya.

can i see your inner fenders, i have lifted 52s up front and they flex beyond beliefe

im going with 39.5s boggers so lets see your ideas:D

11. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

i agree, more detailed pics of the fender trimming would be awesome. Also, did you leave your axles in the stock location, or move them forward? My stepside currently has a 1" body lift, and I want to fit 38's or 40's by using a zero rate (for an extra inch of lift and to move the axle forward), 4" lift springs, and fender trimming.

12. mountainexplorer

Unfortunately, this is my bought not built truck. :blush: I originally bought it to keep the 1-ton axles, the big block, and the other winch, and then was going to throw a small block and 3/4 ton stuff under it and re-sell it for what I paid for it.

I wanted to build a stepside myself since it was the only bodystyle I didn't have yet. So then I got this... started driving it, and figured... why strip this down, re-sell it, and then essentially re-build the same thing? So I just kept it. Sure, I could have put one together alot cheaper starting from scratch, but this one had a few things that I liked that were unique vs. the other stepside I was trying to get to build; like the cut out fenders that were done to retain factory look, the rust free body, it was a 4spd/205 already, etc.

The most I've done to it since I got it is 2 motors, cheap paint, change the seat, front bumpers, add the '85 grille, and small stuff. So it's my bought not built truck... which is ok since everything else I have is built not bought I suppose.

Axles are in stock locations, no perches or mounts were moved. It's just a regular 4" lift with stock shackles, and 4" rear blocks. I'll try and go and take better fender pics when I get a chance.

13. mountainexplorer

Ok so here's a few pictures of the fenders. And I spent a few minutes and was creative on the tailgate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the factory lip looks tough, I hated to remove mine but I did not want to do all the cutting and grafting to keep it. looks bitchen allen.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Every fender I've put that much effort into I have smashed...:doah: The last set I just cut, no more than 30 minutes per corner and I haven't so much as scratched them. I just know if I put edges on em they wouldn't last.

Rene

17. mountainexplorer

I'm happy! I actually won money in it last night at the local mud races.

I actually won last night's mud bog in the Street class in the Stepside. So I got 70 bucks.

I paid $50 in entering both the Stepside in the Street class and the Truck Blazer in Modified class. The truck Blazer ran like crap and got eliminated. The Stepside beat every rig I ran against in the Street Class.

Next time around in the Stepside, it gets bumped to Modified they said after I got paid out.

But I was pleased with how well it did and how the pieced together 454 ran. Now... how long till it blows up? :doah:

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it looks great bro. just go for a ride around the block.then don't drive it for a few days. then maybe the first drive blues won't happen....

19. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

good to hear you won after all the work you put into the stepside... good thing you got pics of it clean cause I dont think we'll see that black paint again :rolleyes:

20. mountainexplorer

The mud hides all the spots I didn't touch up or finish painting yet.