Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Suburban at the Car Lot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I found me a Suburban to look at... Love my Explorer n all, but it's friggin small with the subwoofers in the cargo area... And no legroom for the driver... So I'm kinda stuck here... I can keep the X and bang my legs all over the steering column and not be able to slam the gas because the pedal is so tiny....

Or I can try to trade for this Suburban at Mark's Motors... it's an 86 4wd GMC type w/a tailgate for $2,295, which is about $149 more than the trade-in value of my X... I'm probably going to go look at the Sub tomorrow if the weather is nice...

Wish me luck, I haven't even LOOKED at a GM vehicle with serious intent of purchasing it since my Blazer went kaboom in October 2001... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

HA. I see you are heeding my advice and looking for a real truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hope you can get it if it turns out to be what you want.

Is your Scout II non-operational?

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My Scout II lives with some guy in Denver so I could buy my Exploder... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's too bad too, I liked it... But going 70 mph in a Scout II is quite scary... and I often go into Colorado on I-25, where the speed limit is 75 most of the way... and I like to do about 80 on the way to Greeley which is only 15 mph speeding /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ergh...

I went to look at the Suburban today... It looks extremely nice, a little hail damage and the passenger front seat was ripped a bit. Started it up and it started pretty well, could use a new starter... Let it warm up while I walked around and checked the underside... It sounded alright, little smoke from the tailpipe... Power stuff all worked... I got a license plate and stuck it on the tailgate and pulled out of the lot... Gas pedal was a little stiff, about the same as my Scout and my Jeep and probably my Blazer (but I don't remember)... SO I started truckin down the road and hit 30 mph and there was a loud annoying hum echoing through the inside... I rolled down the window and it sounded like it was just on the inside... I slowed down to turn a corner and it went away... Then I started speeding up again, and at 30 mph, the hum was back... It's hard to explain what it sounds like... I thought it might've been the tires, they look kinda loud... But it didn't sound like it was coming from the tires...

SO I got it back to the lot and took the keys in... Didn't think to ask about the sound. The guy gave me my license and asked if I wanted to buy it, I said I'd think about it... He lowered the price to $1800, no trades. So I said I'd think it over and go back if I wanted it...

Anyway, what might that loud annoying hum be just out of curiosity??? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard transmissions make noise like that. At least in the situations I've heard, there's nothing wrong with the tranny, they kept going. Mine makes a hum on the highway when turning low RPM's in OD.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

pinion wearing a groove in the ring gear....I'd really scope out a burban thats on a lot very well before buying. We own great vehicles but getting into on the preivous owner had too much fun killing for ya can get $

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's the little things like those you can use to get them to lower the price even lower becouse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm just gonna let this one go... It's a beautiful truck, but I really don't have the time or money it sounds like it's going to take to make it mechanically good... Same thing happened with my Blazer, it looked good; there wasn't a dent or spot of rust on the thing... but the engine was crap... Unfortunately there wasn't any way to know until about 3 months later when all the problems surfaced...

But I decided my next truck is going to be a Suburban just because that was the coolest truck I've driven, as loud as it hummed at me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif