Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The TBI saga continues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Here we go again. Talked to the tech rep at Holley Friday and he suggested to replace the IAC, he said it was acting like it was stuck open. Worked better but still HUGE hesitation when the throttle was opened. Many beers later I thougth go back to the basics 'cause the origional was so bad, who knew what it was hiding. Everything looked good until I checked the timing. Unhooked the dist from the 'puter and threw the light on it...HOLY SMOKES it was running at 4 degrees after TDC. No wonder it ran like crap and hesitated! Went to adjust it and the dist was loose! OK, set the timing where it is supposed to go then added 2 degrees (per Holley) so I ended up at 2 degrees BTDC. Cranks right up, no hesitation and runs MUCH better now, but it just won't idle below 1000rpm in netural, so it goes back tomorrow to be traded for a new one (as per the Holley tech guy). One other thing, when I was resetting the TV cable, I found out that the throttle wasn't opening but 3/4 of the way....not good. A quick bend on the linkage under the peddle and things are good again. Readjusted it and now kickdown is quick and firm and upshifts happen at 4000rpm at WOT.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't ya just hate thinkin to complicated? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I know nuthin about TBI so I can't help ya with the idle problem but good luck to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Allan

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I knew very little about TBI systems until I started playing around with this one. It's a steep learning curve! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif