Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The time has come

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is a follow up post to cooling system chaos, long story short i blew the head gasket, cracked the head, and on top of that the flywheel is chewed to all hell.
    Ive got three options going
    A) Replace the broken parts
    B) Replace the broken parts and throw in some performance goodies
    C)upgrade to a bigger block, 454 if i can find it

Im all ears

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Head Sets are not bad to do. Replace the heads with performance heads if the motor is woth it ,if not do a complete rebulid or go BBC. The choices are endless, whats your budget? How much do you feel like doing? Flywheel is easy to replace and cheap.
    Bill

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you are on a budget keep in mind bb parts are twice the price of sbc parts.......ask me how i know /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

can say its easy but it requires pulling tranny back far enough to get at the bolts, a good trick that i highly recommend you doing is going and getting 3/8" threaded rod from napa or somewhere and make two lengths of it longer than as far as you would need to pull tranny back in order to get at the bolts, screw the rods into the two top or the middle two holes of the engine bellhousing bolt pattern with tranny still stuck to engine and then remove the res tof the six factory bellhousing bolts and then you can slide tranny back on the rods without having problems lining up the tranny back to engine and iwthout having to drop it, may want to use four rods if t case is 203 or 205

head job is consuming because you have to remove all three manifolds, distributor, alot of the wiring, etc and have to spend time cleaning up deck surfaces of the heads and intake and block and so forth, and also have to chase head bolt holes in engine decks, etc. in order to get accurate torque reading on the bolts.

that is if you plan on keeping the truck/engine for very much longer, also you want to use denatured alcohol and real cotton rags to wash the surfaces after cleaning with scraper. or unless you dont want to keep truck, the alcohol is kinda pricey, 32 bucks a gallon can locally here

good luck