Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the tool truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Mar 14, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

how many real mechanics do we have in here? you all should know how i feel. yesterday i went on my first tool truck. it was amazing, the MAC truck stops at our shop every tues. and i loved it! i can't wait til i get some spare money i just started last mon so i hevan't been paid yet but once i do get paid i'm gonna know the driver on a first name basis. i'm only 17 so that's why i've never been in one before. SNAP-ON stops here too, this is gonna be great!!

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

just be carefull if they set you up with a charge account.. you can get out of hand pretty quickly... I have friends that have over 100k in tools and will be paying for them till they damn near die... So just be careful and keep a level head... Also the truck does look kick ass.. they want you inside of it cause it makes you want to buy more... just keep in mind what you really need to have and let them bring it inside to you..

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I remember the first time I stepped on board a tool rig.
    At the time all I had was a little carry box and just basic hand tools.
    I sh!t myself when I priced a set of wrenches.
    I don't even ask how much now i just get what I need.
    What is bad is when there are 4 tool rigs that stop in and you have an account with all of them.
    Keep in mind that you are just starting out and prolly not making alot.
    For a guy just starting out in the biz it is real temting to get all the name brand stuff right off the bat.
    For just starting out I would go to sears and start to build from there.
    Then as you go on and you decide that this is what you want to do for a living and you are not doing grunt work anymore, then you can upgrade.
    Case in point.
    There is a fresh face green kid at the shop, just out of a tech school.
    Medium sized Snapon box new full of the latest and greatest that had to set him back at least 10K.
    Big tool payments just to do oil changes and the like.
    For that much dough he could have bought out sears.
    But for 5 years I had a weekly payment of $120 to Snap on.
    Hell I still have a weekly payment of $100 to the ones that show up at the shop. LOL
    Do not buy any air tools from Snap on, way over priced and you can get better ones from Ingersol Rand.
    Though the mac guy does have a new 1/2" impact that is better than the 2130 that I just bought.
    Cheaper too.
    Then there is tool boxes, Good grief if I pay 6K for a box with 4 wheels it had better have an engine in it.
    I paid $700 for my Snap on one, 6' high 2' deep and 3'wide.
    And now I ned a bigger one, almost all of the drawers are stuffed to the limit.
    It looks like I will have to bring in my roll away from the house just to make room.
    But all of my stuff is big.
    1 wrench set standard to 2" then an offset set to 2"(snap on)
    metric 2 sets short and long to 32MM.
    sockets to 2 7/8" full set (snap on)
    BTW all the tools I started out with I keep at home now or in my rig.
    I have been at this for 15 years and in 15 more I will still prolly have a tool bill. LOL
    It's all the tool guys fault. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

when i was a service manager at suzuki in bakersfield, i went out to the truck and pawed throught the surgical clamp thingies. i needed a long one, with a curved tip, textured ends, and locking handles. the MAC guy was like, whoa, dude, you know alot about these things, are you needing to clamp fuel lines, or what?
    and i said no, just a roach clip!

5. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

I fully believe that I put at least one of the dealers children through college.Thirteen years of buying tools,from1/4 inch to 1" drive sockets, wrenches to 3",every airtool imaginable and an 6,000 dollar box to boot.Nevermind the other three boxes i have picked up over the years.The only good thing is I never have to borrow anything.It is no wonder I can't afford to buy a house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My dad was a mechanic and owned his own shop. Every week Snap-On and Mac would show up. I love those trucks!! Dad had a Snap-On roll-a-way full of Snap_on tools with alittle Mac's in there. After he died and I got the box, a friend of mine, who is a Snap-On dealer, said it would cost $15,000 to $20,000 to replace. I keep it locked up tight!

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i would have to agree with power mad, go to sears, i used to be a mechanic and still have more tools than most shops, the snap-on, mac, matco, cornwell, ect are very shiny and pretty, but also very expensive, i.e.: i once bought a 1/4 drive set from mac, standard deep and shallow, around 120 dollars for 22 pieces, later i could have bought a lot bigger set for less at sears, also think of it this way: you are young (17) and just starting out; going to school, trying to wrench on the burb and fix it up...do you really want all your paycheck going to the tool dealer? later the trucks will still come around, and if you are still wrenching for a living, take the craftsman stuff home and buy the high dollar stuff for work, just don't take the craftsman stuff back to sears wearing your work clothes, sometimes they will not honor their warranty if you are a mechanic, at least they didn't my friend until we went home and cleaned up and returned in our casual clothes. anyway, just my 2 cents, and i understand the kid in a candy store feeling looking at tools, like i said, i have more than i need, yet continue to go to sears and look at clearance items or sale prices...good luck

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have reached the point where I wont even go to the truck to pay my bill. I have dumped over $40,000 in the last 10 yrs. Start small and work your way up. And avoid the really cool $12000 tool box. Trust me! When I move to a new shop I have to get a roll back wrecker to move it! Its kool and is impressive to look at but thats it. It doesnt make me any better technician than when I had 2 "smaller" boxes that could be moved on a trailer.

Take our word for it...go to Sears. You get the same warranty (lifetime on hand tools) but not the convenience of the tools coming to you. You have to take them to have them replaced. There are some things that you will have to buy from the big boys for tho. I am a body man and sears doesnt carry jack for body tools other than the basics. All my hand tools (wrenches, sockets, hand ratchets, and screwdrivers) are Craftsman. I will say tho that the screwdrivers and the hand ratchets are better thru Snap on Mac or whoever. I have had Snap On air ratchets last me just over a year and they let go. While my buddy w/ the Craftsman ratchet just keeps goin. When it comes to things that are a safety deal, dont skimp on quality. Having pry bars that snap when you are really yankin on them and you smash an important body part, or fly across the shop sucks. Over time youll figure out whats worth spending the extra money on and whats just as good thru Sears. But the specialty tools that you cant get anywhere else they REALLY lay it to ya on!

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can say is, The Snap On truck is an evil, evil place. Those guys have taken way to much of my money.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When I use to turn wrenches I avoided those trucks like the plague. Whay too expensive for my tastes. I really wasn't into making a fashion statement with my shiny high dollar tools.
    I saw too many of my co-workers pay checks go into those big shiny trucks.
    I had better plans for my money. Like putting it in my 4x4s
    I bought craftsman and SK tools. And could do just as much work and just as fast as the other guys who payed 3 times more for their tools. Acually more work. I could rip out an alignment in the time some of the guys spent in that truck drooling over which high dollar item to put on their high interest charge account.
    I also had more money to play on the weekends.
    They should have a sign on the door of those trucks similar to the one over the gates of hell that reads:
    <font color=red>Abandon all Hope
    All Ye That Enter</font color=red>