Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THE TOP IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayven, Jul 9, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

The top is off my 76 and I was wondering what people have used to fill the large gap between sheet metal in the roof. Any suggestions or pics would be great!!

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Why don't you fill in your profile first...
    Most use metal to fill it in....

3. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

God you're cute and friendly. Like a kitten in the woods with rabies and P.M.S. Thanks for the detailed Idea!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    God you're cute and friendly. Like a kitten in the woods with rabies and P.M.S. Thanks for the detailed Idea!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Filling out the profile helps us help you. If there are any members in your area that would be willing too help with whatever you may be doing.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna fit in just fine... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Most people graft a 73,4,5 windshield frame on...tons easier and then you can run the full 'vert hardtop too if you want. I chopped mine a couple of months ago, and have the '75 windshield frame, just haven't grafted it on yet.

Rene

PS. a filled out profile helps us help you... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Gotcha, Nver thought about that. Maybe I will just bend it up or do a quick weld job for the summer. I can worry bout the top next Winter. Thanks!!!

7. tRustyK5

You're lucky yours is a 76. The 73-75's had 'rocker boxes' to help keep the body rigid without the steel half cab. In 76 GM added the steel half cab but retained the 'rocker boxes'. In 77 the 'rocker boxes' went away...

Chopping the top off a 77 or newer K5 results in body sag at the doors unless it's got a cage or other re-inforcing. Without the full fibreglass top on my truck the body sags 1/2" or more at the doors now (My Jimmy is an '81 sort of). I won't be able to enjoy being topless until I build my cage.../forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

8. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I wanted mine topless as soon as I got it. I only drove the truck for a month or so before working on it for the last year. Another member reccomended that I put a cage in before cutting it to avoid the sag. I bouth a Smitty built bolt in rear hoop. Then I bought the weld in front legs. I made seat mount bars out of the same tubing and mounted Prelude seats. It should be fun. I just have to put my life kit (I just loaded into my car) and my tires on. THen I can enjoy some of the sun

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I've seen a few guys that just weld in flat metal over the gap. Then they run soft tops all year.

Where in the Northwest are you?

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wanted mine topless as soon as I got it. I only drove the truck for a month or so before working on it for the last year. Another member reccomended that I put a cage in before cutting it to avoid the sag. I bouth a Smitty built bolt in rear hoop. Then I bought the weld in front legs. I made seat mount bars out of the same tubing and mounted Prelude seats. It should be fun. I just have to put my life kit (I just loaded into my car) and my tires on. THen I can enjoy some of the sun

[/ QUOTE ]
    got any pics????

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well who would that other member have been..............cupcake.

12. tRustyK5

You two should get a room or something... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Awesome for just your 8th post! You're a natural for us.

Welcome.

P.S. I have nothing to add to the previous exellent answers as a 'burb owner.

14. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well who would that other member have been..............cupcake.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF I am a cupcake on this site then you are definately the fruit filling. Thanks for the help by the way. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

15. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Here are a couple of shitty pics from My camera phone. I will be sure to post "before and After's In a week or so

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

My hood bends up a little in the middle, (halfway down the fender) I think from old shitty springs. Do I just have to buy a new hood if I want it to sit right? And body else experience this??

17. tRustyK5

JC Whitney and LMC truck sell hood reinforcing strips to repair that. It's from hinges not getting lubed often enough. That weak point in the hood was designed to be there in case of a frontal collision so the hood would buckle instead of coming back and removing the upper half of the cab (and the upper half of the people inside)

Rene

18. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Is it just basicall a piece of steel welded to it to reinforce it not to move? I could probably do that with some leftover 1/8 steel from my seat mounts. Cool, THanks for the tip.

19. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Where are you from?
    Eddie

20. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it just basicall a piece of steel welded to it to reinforce it not to move? I could probably do that with some leftover 1/8 steel from my seat mounts. Cool, THanks for the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, though there is a school of thought as to whether overkill is a safety issue, as some say the hood is designed to be a crumple zone.

All I know is it crumples too easily. Search on this topic, you'll find some of my threads and pix on my solutions.

-- A