Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Tornado Air Intake System

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What does antbody think of this Tornado contrapion? I have read a two reports so far by third parties that say it is a complete waste of $70. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Looks like junk to me. What sort of ridiculous claims do the commercials make about lots of simultaneous big gains in power and greatly increased fuel economy?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

eh, the oldschool mechanic in me thinks its snake oil... looks like it'd just block airflow..

But the guy I do resto work for with the Olds's swears he gets better mileage with it on his 455..

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

save your money, buy a K&N air filter and call it a day

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

With everything the manufacturers are trying to do to improve fuel economy I would think they would be using something like this, if it worked. They look pretty cheap to make. The CR article I read said they didn't help anything :rolleyes:, I think the article stated that this actually hurt the fuel economy in the test vehicle. It kills me to see these car programs on TV promote these types of products when they know they're just gimicks. I think a lot of these products are junk, only capable of emptying our wallets. My opinion,YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I fail to see how anything that blocks airflow increases anything. The engine is basically an air pump, The more restriction, the less power. They do not run restrictor plates in nascar to increase the cars power.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

this unit is supposed to create a vortec to get better air flow.. however if you have a vortec engine. or vortec heads.... ummm ya cant double vortec it!!!!! so Id say a waste of $70..... K&N Air Filter has helped in all my vehicles...

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It'll probably supercharge the intake if you point the front of your truck into a tornado. 1000 HP on demand...................sorta.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

complete waste of time. Popular Science did an indepth scientific analysis of the Tornado and 4-5 other similar gizmos. Not one of them added ANY horsepower or improved fuel economy at ALL. Not even 1HP or 1mpg. Some of them did reduce hp/mpg though. Buy a normal fram paper air filter and all it good.

j

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What gets me about those things is Car manufatures have gone to great lengths to clean up and straighten out the air flow. Some how they figgured out that clean straight air increases performance and gas MPG. Some vehicles have honeycomb type air flow straighteners before the MAF sensor so it can get good clean air flow readings. So it can deliver the most power and fuel MPG
    Performance is all about delivering clean non turbulent air to the engine.
    How can something that stirs up the air flow make more power?
    I can see maby at low RPM the vortec it is suspost to create may increase low speed air velocity. Which will build torque sooner and increase low end throttle response. Maby that is where their claims about more power and MPG lie. They just dont tell you it makes all its power under 2000 RPM:D

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

performance IMO is baout straignt direct, non turbulent airflow, until the combustion chamber. Thats what Vortec heads do, their combustion chamber swirls air within itself. In that place it works well. How does puting something that swirls air over a foot away from the intake valves do anything? think about it, it has to pass through the carb or TB, which has straight bores and blades(just oging to straighten out th air), then through the intake runners, which again are just oging to straighten it out(even a dual plane will straighten it compared to that tornado), and then it gets shot through the intake runner of the head and straightened until it hits the combustion chamber. Its stupid.