Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The trade of the Burb story !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 4, 2002.

As I stated in the other post I aquired a 1978 Jimmy with a few goodies on it last night. I had found this Jimmy on E-bay and e-mailed back and forth with the fellow quite a bit and talked on the phone about a trade. We agreed to meet half way which was at the Vette museum in Bowling Green, KY on Friday the 4th. Well he e-mailed and said lets do it today(Thursday the 3rd)cuz he was anxious to see the Burb. I said OK and left work early, got home, checked all of the fluids in the Burb, give it a quick rinse job and got the wife and son and we headed off on a 1 1/2 hour trek to meet him. We made it there a bit earlier than him, but not much. I heard the Flowmasters purring as he was coming down the interstate and there he was. What a sweet looking Jimmy. He pulls in with a grin bigger than mine I think. He was in awe looking over the Burb and I was like wise over the Jimmy. We traded compliments back and forth about each others trucks and hopped in and drove each others, checking out all the gadgets to make sure they worked or could be fixed. We were both satisfied and he asked what I thought of the Jimyy and of course I said "perfect, just what I was looking for". He said " I sure will be glad someone that really wants and will care for her is getting the Jimmy", so I asked if that meant he wanted to go through with the trade.(I really thought we would lookat at the trucks and say nice truck , but no can do and leave) He said "Hell Yes" !! So we started grinning even bigger while swapping plates and siging over the titles. 15 minutes later we are on the road heading home in our new trucks, happy as can be. 15 minutes down the road my cell phone rings and it is him. He was screaming and cussing, saying that the Burb blew up, smoke blew out of everywhere and it just stopped, he also said it looked like there was tranny fluid leaking. My heart fell to the floor and my stomach was in my throat. I couldn't believe it, thinking to myself WTF did he do to make it blow and what blew. He kept saying "I'm not too comfortable with this deal". I asked him what he expected me to do cuz the Burb was fine. I was feeling pretty bad for the guy and allot of guilt. (Even though I explained everything very well to him and the deal was done)(It wasn't like I sold him a lemon, the damn Burb ran fine every day back and forth to work and a few long trips for over 4 years) Hell the tranny was just over a year old and built up strong !! I agreed to turn around and try to identify what happened to the Burb, so I stopped and bought a flashlight and then got to thinking what is this guy thinking and how pissed is he. I had the wife and son with me and didn't want problems so I called the sherriff, he sent a squad car out, but it never made it as I found out later. Anyway, I called a tow truck for him to get prices and ideas on where to tow it too, but when I went back out to the Jimmy he had called my wife and told her that he was having his dads AAA tow him. I called him back and asked if he still wanted me to come out there with the flashlight and he was in a better frame of mind and said that it was his problem, he had a wrecker coming and asked if I could at least bring him some water for them. Everything seamed fine, so I went ahead and went down there to meet them. We looked the Burb over, it was cover from the transfer case back with tranny fluid to include the barn doors !! OMG I thought, he puffed the tranny, but after further looking I noticed that the vent tube on the transfer was gone and that was where the fluid had sprayed out of. I offered to get him some tranny fluid and see if we could limp it to the next town to save a towing bill and to make sure the tranny still worked. I must have stopped at six different places and came up with 4 quarts of tranny fluid, but I headed back to him. We poured it in and took off again. I was happy that the tranny still shifted . We got to the next town and as soo as we took the exit it started smoking and sraying fluid again, but he got it pulled into a gas station. By now it was smoking really bad and gushing fluid. He turn it off and I got under it to find the cover on the servo was gone, it has blew it clear off !! We ended up pushing it into to a parking place and then we shook hands and I headed home after making sure he hada ride coming and he was close to a motel too. Damn is all I can say !! We finally made it home about 1:20 A.M. or so !! He e-mailed me today and said this "hey buddy, I really appreciate you coming back last night and bailing me out, I opologize for losing it on the phone. Please oplogize to your wife for me, I know it must have been frustrating. Anyway, it is nice to meet good people every once in awhile. I hope you are enjoying the Jimmy, she has never let me down. Best regards, Hugh !! WOW is all I can say !! I did my best to do what I could to help them last night, but thank God he was cool about the deal and didn't blame me, saying I sold him a piece of crap.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

wow that is strange maybee the burb was pissed that it was going to someone else /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif glad you like the new jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. I guess it could have been, I think I did the ole girl OK !! And I will definately enjoy the Jimmy !

3. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

It is good to hear that he called back after he had cooled down. Any clue what happened to the tranny? 'Gratz on the Jimmy acquisition(sp?) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You are very lucky, Harvey! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It could have been a lot worse. The other guy could have wanted his Jimmy back! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Then that would have left you with more work and out of more money, too, to work and fix the tranny problem.

Just glad you did the right thing instead of "kept driving on home" and ignored him. That's probably why he kept the Burb...your act of caring and kindness and showing the concern, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. I won't know until he gets it towed to TN and fixed. I never had one blow the servo cover off of a 700R4. I figured it just got hot and spewed the fluid out the overflow on the transfer, but after losing the servo cover I think it blew some seals internally maybe. Who knows, it was definately overheated.

6. Believe me it crossed my mind for a second to keep on going, but I couldn't and it helped in the end. I think it showed him that I didn't screw him over and what happended was him running it too hard and overheated it and he knew the deal was done. I did what I could to help and would again. If you aren't willing to help someone else then how do you expect someone to come to your aid when you need rescuing?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The other guy could have wanted his Jimmy back!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was a done deal...Harvey took as much risk as the other guy. They both took the time to inspect and drive before signing anything...no warrantee's "Expressed or implied" etc and all that crap.

Going back and helping out as much as he did was the cool thing to do though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. I think the guy realized that it was a done deal after he was over the inital shock of the whole thing. It was awful to see the Burb like that. Thanks for the comment. I hope that this post will show others that helping and being considerate of others is a good thing. Everyone here on CK5, I've got your back anytime I can be of assistance. That uis what we gather here for.

9. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Man that's some crazy stuff. Yeah it's great to know that there are still people out there who care enough to help someone. I know the wife still has to make me stop sometimes when I pass people in distress. But I allways stop on the trail! Glad it all worked out in the end. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Harvey

Just a quick question on that tranny! Wasn't it you who had one of those Bowtie Overdrive trannies put in the burb last year?? Does it have any kind of warranty to offer the guy? Not very encouraging to hear it went out in a year /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Cool of you to help the guy though. Kudos! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Wow, what a story /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Your a good guy for going back to help. It also helps prevent him from hunting you down later /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    OK NOW! <font color="blue"> LETS SEE THAT NEW JIMMY!!!! </font color>
    (bet you thought no one would ask..)
    CONGRADS! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You didn't look like this /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif when you got him to sign, did you? J/K /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. I don't recall this look on my face being like this /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, I am sure it was more like this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifor or /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifor /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The pic is lost somewhere in one of these forums !!

13. No I never got the chance to get the Bowtie Overdrive tranny. Remember the guy bought it for $6500 with a blown tranny, and then got AAMCO to install a new one, and then he bailed out on the deal the day before he was suppose to fly up to pick up the Burb. I got a free tranny out of the deal and then I fought with AAMCO for 6 months before they got it built right. The end result was a hard hitting, great shifting 700R4 !! I wish it would have still had the warranty for the dude, but it doesn't. His dad owns a very large shop, so that may be his helping hand in the whole mess. I hope it isn't hurt that bad and a quick go through and seals will do it up right again. The burb has a 4-core, a big tranny cooler, a tach to monitor and cool the tranny, all it needs is a tranny temp gauge and to not go push it real hard on the highway !!

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing when ya'll split ways he was one it trying to see what that burb had, overheated it, etc etc....not the point...you're a good man for going back to help! Sounds like a fair trade to me...now let me hunt down this ghost picture of the jimmy that lurks around here somewhere.

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Dooh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Right on, Harvey! I forgot about the tranny deal. Remember reading about it now that you bring it up. Too bad but good to hear the guy has some help.

Take Care

16. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I would have kept the Burban /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif