Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the Trains I Drive...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, its been about 7 months or something stupid obscene since I said I'd get pictures of the little park trains I drive online, so here they are finaly.

<a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/rich77suburbanaz/>my Crappy Homepage </a>

there's also some pictures of the suburbans on there.

-Rich

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

kinda cool to see those after you've talked about these. those things look pretty fun! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn those are cool /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cool trains.
    that must be a blst to drive.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

they're quite fun to drive. each one has its own little quirks to it, making them all different in handling, driving, and whatnot.

the steam engine ( light blue little one) is a real steam engine. the challenge to that one lies in keeping enough steam pressure up, without going overboard. the optimal operation pressure is 140-160. if it goes above 160, then it becomes impossible to inject more water into the boiler until the pressure goes down. it also begins to take off like an unbridaled nuclear reactor, quickly rising to 200 PSI. the saftey valves are set to blow at 200 and 215. since water can't be injected, the danger of having the water level get too low becomes high. if it gets too low, and someone tries to inject water into it, it'll coldshock the boiler, and blow it up. if it drops below 120, then it takes a lot longer for it to recover back up to an operating pressure ( 120 is the minimum I like to run with, although it can be driven with as low as 80 PSI) this engine is currently at Desert Breeze park, in Chandler. (south of Ray, West of McClintock )

The Santa Fe locomotive is possibly the easiest to drive. you sit down in it, turn a key, ease the RPM up, pull a hydraulic control handle, and you're off (once before the Christmas night rides began, I set it to go, hopped out, and joined my co-workers in the train cars to look at the lights, and make sure everything was looking good) . with exception of people jumping in front of the train occasionaly, you can almost sleep at the controlstick. its motivated by a 2.3 liter mustang 4 banger, which turns a hydraulic pump, that drives some hydraulic motors, which run the driving axles under the train. this train is currently at Freestone Park in Gilbert ( on Lindsay, south of guadalupe Rd)

The Daisy Mt engine is the biggest engine I drive. the other 2 are 1/4 scale and run on 16 inch track ( 16 inches between rails) the Daisy Mt is a 1/2 scale replica of a real atlantic 4-4-2. this one, like the Santa fe is motivated by hydraulics, using a GM 3 liter industrial engine to motivate it. this train is a challenge to drive, because of the rich spoiled bastards who live in Anthem. thier rich little bastard kids want everything thier way, for free, and now. to top it off, the worst of them ( Skaters ) like to do fun things like wax the rails to watch the train spin out of control. I've even had a death threat against myself while I was working there, making it the worst place in the universe to work. this last saturday was the first time in about 5 months I'd been up there and to welcome me back, I had 3 prissy b*ches screaming at me about how much a jerk I am for almost hitting thier kids who were standing on the rails, the skaters waxed the rails good and thick ( couldn't get it to climb the hill ) a dozen or so people demanding I give them free rides cause they're residents, and pay the association fee every month, and of course, the 65 mile one way drive to get there and back through some of the worst traffic I've been subjected to in a long time.

on a side note, no one generaly wants to work daisy mountain anymore, because of the Jerks, Skaters, and whatnot. my replacement lasted 2 months before he derailed the train ( he was running it at close to 30 MPH, which is about 25 MPH too fast) destroyed 46 ties, and traumatized about 30 kids. he had neither washed the train, oiled the rails, greased the wheelbearings, checked the oil/water/hydraulic fluid, or done inspections on the wheels and componentry ( 1 brakeshoe was about to fall off, 2 bearing blocks were missing bolts, 1 car was missing a suspension spring, making it wobble unstabily) and a rat had moved in, and started on the electrical wireing, rendering the headlight and running lights useless. next time I see him, I'm probably going to punch him in the head.

-Rich