Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The transmission filter seal from hell! Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Nov 28, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

So I went about changing the oil and filter in my TH700R4. Little did I suspect it'd turn my mood from pretty good to downright sour. I don't know if the previous owner forgot to coat it with oil before putting it in, or if he just never changed it at all for the last 20 years, but it is literally like glued to the bore! I've been under the car for half an hour prying away at it with differently shaped awls, with ATF dripping in my face and a vacuum cleaner hose to keep the little bits I've been able to pick out from contaminating the tranny, and this is how far I've gotten:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7578/pb270454ty8.jpg

There's no reasonable way I can get the remainder of the seal out by just continuing to scratch with an awl. Besides, I'm afraid to do damage to the bore. I'm thinking I need a miracle solvent I can apply that will cause the rubber to come loose. Does anybody have a good suggestion on what might work? I've tried plain degreasing fluid, but that didn't help much. Any other suggestions whatsoever are welcome at this point.

Anybody else ever had this problem with this seal? If I had known how much trouble the old seal would cause me trying to get it it out I might've just kept it in, but there was hardly a way for me to know it would be so damn stuck without spoiling it in the process of finding that very fact out...

By the way, theoretically, besides the obvious fact that unfiltered oil could sip through if I caused damage to the seal part of the bore, could scratches in the bore have any other negative effect? Maybe I've been overly cautious so far, but I'd rather not hurt anything.

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

id be more worried about air getting in, have you tried pb blaster or an exacto knife yet?

3. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Jishory, Air is gonna get in anyways, it doesnt hurt anything and ive never seen a trans air loc or anything...

AuH, take a small pick up there and bend the seal in as many times as you can, what i normally do is take a pick or a punch and hit one side of the seal, it should pivot in the bore and then you can grab it... its tough but you half to do it... if you need any more assistance dont be affraid to call me on my cell since im in your area.. 480-209-2949.. nate

4. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

Would a pencil point soldering iron help in this situation - melt/burn it out??
    Just an idea....

5. mr250twostroke

mr250twostroke 1/2 ton status

I brought this back up because AuH20 described my situation right down to the vacuuming out little rubber pieces:bow:.
    I did finally get the 1st seal out. Thats right, looks like theres another up in there:doah:.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It appears to be black and not orange but is definately another metal ring
    seated at the lip where my new orange one should be.
    Is the best way to get it out really to get something in there to bend it in?
    Anyone else have advice? This looks like it could be a very common problem.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

6. NV_K5

NV_K5 1/2 ton status

Go steel your mom's walnut cracker pick tool thingy and pry on one side to get it bent, then you can grab it with some needle nose plyers and whaala.

Edit -

Dont put PB Blaster in your transmission ----

7. mr250twostroke

Lost the panties, put the boxers back on, smacked it with a small screw driver with the palm of my hand and...
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I questioned you NateinChandler:bow:.
    Dustin

8. NV_K5

NV_K5 1/2 ton status

Does your boss know your putting smelly, oily trans parts on your laptop and taking pictures of them with their camera and posting them on the internet during work hours?

9. mr250twostroke

Im on sabbatical, maybe longer and getting a divorce. I put $hit where I feel like putting $hit.
    [​IMG]
    Thats my beater garage laptop thats had much worse on it:D. WTFs a "boss" :confused::confused::confused:
    Dustin

10. NV_K5

NV_K5 1/2 ton status

That’s absolutely Hilarious – Ataboy!