Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The trip home from ft campbell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Apr 11, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well my place in Maine is about 1500 miles from where I was at ft campbell, ky. And I HAD to buy the 75 shortbed (one in my sig) for the ride home. well I lost the clutch and had an easy fix at a garage to put the hydraulic cluth's slave cyl line back on. Then that darned rod the connects the slave cylinder to the clutch fork snapped.... so I ended up driving over 1,000 miles home w/o a clutch! :D good thing this thing was an auto at one point and whomever converted to a stick didn't take the time to hook up a neutral safety switch. So I can start it in 1st and get it rolling :waytogo: Went fine and dandy with a few wierd looks from people at gas stations due to me starting it in gear :D till portland, maine which ios 1 1/2 hr from the house. Hit a bump and "snap!" out goes the gauge and marker lights. Ended up snapping several spare fuses and not fixing the problem. Rode the rest of the way to the house w/ the 4-ways on though. :waytogo: Now here I am back in the beautiful country. And soon to start putting my driveway in and building my garage. I learned a good deal and have a good apreciation of being able to drive 1,000+ mi w/o a clutch :waytogo:

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sounds like loads and loads of nerve racking joy.

3. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Flying by the seat of your pants. No fun at the time but makes a great story when its over.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

actually when I first popped the hydraulic line it wasn't that serious. I figured a garage would put it back on like they did. but that stupid rod :dunno: I still have yet to get a replacement and I will have to cal Summit or Wilwood (the slave cylinder's manufacturer) to get another. But even though that was bothersome that evening, I rented a motel room and got a night's sleep. In the morning after going to a used car dealership and they told me it would be at least 2 hrs before they could even tell me if they had the part or could even get it (on a friday). So at that point I just stopped worrying whatsoever about it and drove on for just over 1,000 miles. I was already used to starting and all when getting gas as I'd done it a couple times the day before :D So the whole thing was kinda fun.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Got more nerve than I do!!

I drove to Nashvlle TN twice,and my heart was in my throat both times all the way!--the first trip was in my 82 G10 van,with a 250 six!--it was skipping and bucking all thru the Pocono's in PA,I thought sure it would throw a rod or something,or blow the tranny from all the hills I had to chug up in second gear!--thankfully it cleared up in VA,must have been all the old gas and water in my gas tank finally got cleared out after 5 tanks full.. :blush:

The second trip was in a Rockwood conversion van,much more pleasureable--it had a strong 350,410's--no trouble climbing the hills in that,plus having A/C made a world of difference--but I was still apprehensive about the distance and murphy's law!!

Anyone who can drive from KY to ME with no clutch has my respect! :bow: :bow: :bow: --I had to do it for a week until I got another pressure plate in my K5 many years ago,and know how difficult it can be,especially in heavy city traffic..I think my starter and battery,and the tranny synchro's were never the same after that week!..I thought driving it 70 miles to my parents house to fix the clutch was a long way! :screwy: :screwy: but 1500+?? :blush:

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

not to keep this legend from growing or anything :whistle: but it was only 1,000 and some spare change :D

7. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

How the hell do you stop in gear keeping the motor running, and if you took it out of gear to stop, how the hell did you get it into first to get moving again, or did you shut it off and start it at every stop sign and red light?

8. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have driven my old '78 around town with a broken clutch linkage before. NOT FUN! I basically left plenty of room at traffic lights and stop signs and shifted into granny to crawl. Sometimes I would have to shut off the engine and fire it back up in gear. The worst I had it was driving home from Maine to NJ and my power steering hose blew on the highway somewhere in Mass. Ended up driving about 250 miles with no power steering and 39.5 swampers. By the time I arrived home I was s***ing diamonds! I would have stopped to get a new line except for the fact that it was about 11 pm and didn't really want to spend the night. All went well and the hardest part was making the final turn into my driveway. Exit/entrance ramps were kinda exciting though....... :grin:

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well planned exits :D I would find every gear going down and end up in 1 which is very handilly LOW LOW LOW and I would look well ahead for openings. I mainly chose country type exits where there would less chance of traffic too :D And in the event I had to stop I would shut it off and crank it back up in gear and start rolling that way :D

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: I just rammed the down arrow on my keyboard... I was imagining slamming the shifter through gears without the clutch... :doah:

Good that you made it that way... :thumb:

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

ah yes the art of gently matching the eninge's rpm to the tranny's :D