Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"The truck ain't worth it"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ti.user, Dec 6, 2001.

1. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

\"The truck ain\'t worth it\"

Hey,
    I'm sure some of you have heard the "the truck ain't worth dumping all that money into" bull sh*t line. I'm gettin' sick of hearing it!!!
    I have a '90 jimmy, stock (350,700r,241,10 bolts) for now --but that k5 bug has bit me, body in excellent shape except for "rocker rot" starting to show. Plan to do 4-6" lift, tires, 1-ton conversion and the list goes on.
    I work for a major steering and suspension parts manufacturer, we mostly make parts for light trucks oem and aftermarket. I had one of our mechanics take my truck into the garage and hoist it up so we could look under it, so I could see what parts were on there(ball joints,tie rods, etc.) so I could get them from the manufacturing floor(FREE!!!!!!!). While under the truck we noticed a little more metal termite damage than I thought.
    I got a little of the b.s. from people about how it ain't worth lifting and you'll have nothing but problems. blah blah blah.
    But when rust entered the picture all of a sudden the "truck is junk", "Don't waste your money" sh*t stared coming out of peoples voice holes. These people really get me!@$#@@#!
    It is ok to rebiuld a comaro, torino gt, chevel, etc. and turn them into Q-mile cars or nice day only cars, ---BUT working on a truck isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong I like nice cars too. But I appear to be surronded by idiots!!! Everyday someone asks well what are you going to do with that truck? Well I know all of you know the answer to that!!!!!!

I can't knock Ford cuz it fed or family(dad is retired) -- BUT I OWN A K5, THAT SHOULD SPEAK FOR ITSELF!!!

THOM
    '90 JIMMY

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re:

I got that at work all the time. "new cars are better" Whatever *rolls eyes*. Action speak louder than words. It stopped abruptly when I brought back video footage of offroading and a burnout [​IMG]. It tickles your funny bone when the major contributor stares with a blank face and goes, "Oh..." and walks off and never again says a word.

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: \"The truck ain\'t worth it\"

I get that all the time...used to get that from my wife.[​IMG] After having to tow her precious car home after it broke down (300 miles from home on holidays)stopped the comments about what a POS my truck was.

My boss used to break my balls about my truck too...til I made a round trip to Austin Texas and back in 6 days (5000 miles total) and the return trip was towing another K5 behind me. Not too shabby for a 20 year old truck that fell out of the ugly tree...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re:

I must have it made. The guys I work with all think my truck is cool and they all say what I am doing is a lot better then making $500 or more a mount payments. My boss is always asking me questions on what my next mod will be. My wife (Donna on the site) well I guess most of you already know that she doesn't give me much grief about doing it since she wants her own truck someday.[​IMG] She has done alot of work on my truck when we were doing the lift and 1 ton swap. My dad and mom already know I'm crazy and my dad and I have done a couple of projects in the past and he has done some hardcore wheeling and is looking to buy another 4x4 next year to play with.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just ask them what a payment for a comparable vehicle would be. Had to do that many times (including with my wife) till they realized that $400 a month goes to better places (my kids future education, house, the K5). You make good points comparing everyone's other rebuild passions. It's your truck and you have to justify it to no one (unless you're married [​IMG]) so just let it roll off your shoulders.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well Lifting a K5 is one of the cheapest trucks to lift out there. The only thing comming close to the cheapenss is pre coild sprund Jeeps but then most of them have to go into mods such as shakle reversal, MAJOR steering corrections Drive shaft problems that you won't have with a K5. If your tight on the budget and can do the labor you can do a 4 inch lift on a K5 for $400. That would include new front springs, Raised steering arm cheap shocks and a home brew Shackle flip.
    As for rust. Repair pannels are cheap. If you can weld and have access to a mig you can fix it pretty easy and real cheap. If I had your truck and $1k I could fix all the issues your having and make one hell of a tough truck.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

I am married. My wife has her own quad she rides with me, soon going to buy a kiddie quad for my 5 year old. I talk with my wife about all the mods I want to do to my truck and she said " how much lift did your old '79 chevy sb pick-up have?" (Oh ya, I use to have a '79 chevy sb pick-up 4" rancho ,35's,10 bolts,350,203. Whadda ya know another GM truck!!!) I answered 4", her reply "then go 6" on this truck, if you are going to do it make it noticeable". Ain't love grand?? A while back she had a wreck in her car, so she had to drive my truck to work (it was ok with me cuz I rode my harley). After driving my truck for a couple of days she told me "you go buy a new truck, fix the sloppy steering on the jimmy and I'll drive it---I like this truck!!" I would say she is behind me 110%.

It's a beautiful thang!!!
    Thom
    '90 jimmy

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ti.user on 12/06/01 11:32 AM.</FONT></P>

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re:

The only flack I get from co-workers is asking why I am building a POS Chevrolet. [​IMG] ( I work at a Ferd dealer ) [​IMG] Then the constant questions as to why I dont drive it to work. Its a 60-70 mile round trip to work, Do I want 30 MPG in my commuter car or do I want 6 MPG in the Blazer?? Gee thats a tough one! [​IMG]

The wife (Puresanity on here) is a different story. She goes thru cycles where she likes it then she dont. Could have something to do w/ the fact that I bought it for her...... then pirated it for myself when I decided that I liked it more than I thot I would. [​IMG] And to think, I thot I had big 4X4's outta my system!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Re:

look at the pics in the gallery on frizzlefrys truck...ever notice the little F#$D emblem on the back of it? [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re:

Yeah I seen that on his T-gate! I think he said one of the guys he worked w/ did it or something.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Re:

I did it so the guys at the Ford dealer I worked at would leave me alone.I do have some Ford stuff on my truck though [​IMG]

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re:

...and it still runs? My truck would throw a fit about that [​IMG]

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You kind of are contradiciting yourself with your own post-- you ask where that extra $400 a month could go and then end up adding K5 right after your house?---HOWEVER

I have seen many people dump a LOT more $$ into what they are driving than I have into the K5, I lucked out and didn't have to do any major rust repairs, they were already done, BUT I do agree that it is your decision- when they start to make comments to John about all the "new" stuff we have, his reply is this----

I could be at the bar every night blowin 100 bucks, but I'm not Im working, then Im at home, so if I want to spend 42k on a truck, I think I can--- it usually shuts them up.

the one last thing to remember is, when they are stuck/broken down on the road, it's gonna FEEL GOOD to drive right by, and honk the horn! LOL!!!

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Re:

I have to take pictures of my '81. It HAS to be the rust king. The governor blew in the tranmission and we had in the driveway for 15 months. I got my '82, forgot about it, and considered laying it to rest. My '82 restoration project got out of hand and I'm still not done. Sooo, college starts and I'm without wheels. I get the '81 towed out to my uncle's and pull the transmission and send it on its way to be overhauled. It fired right up and only had a few quirks that needed ironing out. I've dumped $400 in our former lawn ornament. To the average person, it aint worth it. But I'm attached and couldn't let it go (been in the family since it was brand new).

There's nothing to get excited about with new cars. Gone are miles of chrome, a thud when you close the door, solid bumpers, and giant motors. Now we have plastic bumpers filled with styrofoam, "crumple zones", and poindexter 4 cylinder engines. Yup, sounds desirable to me.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

15. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

Re:

- you don't worry about parking lot dings or blemishes...

- it's depreciated as much as it can....

- rust is good, it makes the truck lighter.... and when you slide off that ridge or rock sideways into that tree, you don't get that sickening feeling the guy in the '02 TJ did when he ripped the top and frame away from his door..on said tree.....

- hit that blinker, and get in that lane.... folks will move the @#$^ over when they see you a' comin....

- do you really care about anyone's opinion of you if it solely based on your vehicle??

- i'd rather see twenty cashed-out beaters a day that get used for what they were built for, than the 50 F-350's that the owner dropped off at the shop with the paper tags still on to get the lift, rims, ranch hands, and 35's that see off-road duty only when it's taken to the deer lease a few times a year...

- if you totally kill it, IE blow the motor, catch it on fire, sink it in the river/lake/bayou/beach, your wife/parents/'life partner' ( hey live and let live, huh?) won't be mad as hell at you...

IT'S ALWAYS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beaters are cool. unless you're a millionaire, face it, you can't go 100% in a nice truck.

go tell your co-workers to ( insert vulgar or distasteful action here..)

thank you for your time,
    greg

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re:

no rene, your's fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down[​IMG] mine followed yours then did a face plant[​IMG]
    that being said i like "ugly things" (ask Mrs. Zakk about my christmas tree selections) mine is going to get a rattle can/hammer/sawzall body and paint job so it will look "purty" to me[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

17. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Amen everyone!
    I'll take my 21 year old "P.O.S." anyday.
    I can take it anywhere and not not worry about the paint, or minor dings, I can drive OVER most anything i want, --and I kinda like my ratty dash and jerry-rigged stereo, thank you very much.

"Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view..."

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. Rene made the trip to Austin Texas and back to Canada... His truck rocks.... Blazers and Jimmies rock !!!!!
    Don't give up... these trucks are worth their weight in gold..
    Look at it this way...
    Blazers and Jimmy's are becoming even more in demand...
    Look at all the people looking to buy them... Their going to be collector's item's if not already..
    Keep the K5 faith and thumb your nose at the dis-believer's..
    Show them what the truck can be !!

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

19. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

They just have K5-envy. They're hoping that they will talk you into selling your truck so they can buy it off you. [​IMG]

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re:

Hey Zakk, do you *REALLY* want us telling Mrs. Zakk about how you told us you "like ugly things"???? [​IMG]

J/K

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.