Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the truck is off the road need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Jan 9, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the truck broke again on wed night, grenaded the 10 bolt rear, again. this time it took out the entire casing. i am getting fed up with it, should i sell it? fix it . and what should i ask for it if i do sell it? looking for suggestions.
    thanks
    ~~~jeff

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

Re: the truck is off the road and for sale

why you wanna go and do that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. milspecjimmy

you can only fix so many things on any given vehicle, when you get tired of working on it, and i have replaced a lot of things and worked out a lot of issues, this is just the final straw. i need a daily driver that is more dependable and better on gas. i love the truck, but i dont have the money to keep pouring into it.

4. milspecjimmy

ttt

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, you re-registered your 76 Dodge so the pressure to have the Jimmy up and running quickly isn't really there anymore. Why not take the time to get it reliable now? Getting them reliable isn't hard or even expensive, just a bit time consuming.

We all get discouraged now and then...but I think you'll be kicking yourself for selling it after the fact. Not only that but anything that isn't new will have problems and repairs that will need to be made too. If you sell you'll just have different problems on a different truck. If you keep it you already know the problems...

Rene

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree that's a bad ass jimmy don't give up on it now I know how you feel I'm sure every body on this site just wants to burn ther truck to the ground some times give it acouple weeks you'll get sick of the dodge and miss driving the jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. milspecjimmy

yeah, the only things i need to fix on it are the rear end, 3 body mounts and a broken parking light. its rust free, and has a strong motor. every thing in the truck is absolutly new, tranny re done last month, t case a month earlier, mew radiator, all mew internals in the front end, new front shaft, all parts were new in the rear but the 35's took care of them. new headders, dual exhaust, new tires, wheels, lift kit less than 4 months old and never off road in any place where i needed 4wd. has a killer stereo. i just hate the fact that i put so much into it and i cant drive it now with out a lot of money put into it again. besides the fact that i have been unemployed since august, and cant find any decent jobs around here.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just put a 3/4 Ton 14 Bolt FF in the rear and keep it !!!!!!!

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ya but it ain't costing you anything to let it sit tell things pickup again and you'll kick yourself every day if you sell it /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. tRustyK5

I've been without work since November so I feel your pain. I got laid off just as I began a 350 to 6.2 diesel swap and 2 days after getting rid of the 350. There was no turning back at that point...the only good thing was that I was forced to examine, fix, or rebuild stuff instead of just throwing money at it.

Take a break from it and start shopping for a new diff. 14 bolts with 4.10's are everywhere and not expensive. You could swap in one of those and do an 8 lug conversion up front and be 10 times more reliable than you ever were before...without breaking the bank.

Rene

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well, you re-registered your 76 Dodge so the pressure to have the Jimmy up and running quickly isn't really there anymore. Why not take the time to get it reliable now? Getting them reliable isn't hard or even expensive, just a bit time consuming.

We all get discouraged now and then...but I think you'll be kicking yourself for selling it after the fact. Not only that but anything that isn't new will have problems and repairs that will need to be made too. If you sell you'll just have different problems on a different truck. If you keep it you already know the problems...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    dang caps key, sorry.
    Grant

12. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Don't sell it!! I was at the point where I wanted to sell mine but I found CK5! Listen to everyone here man.

Get rid of that 10 bolt b/c you already know that it's drama. If you don't wanna get too crazy going 8 lug, then just buy a 14bolt SF. Get a 6 lug and it'll be all good!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I used to get pissed every time that I needed to fix my POS but then I realized I really could never sell it, too much blood, sweat, tears, time and good times in the old Jimmy. So you bite the bullet once again but instead of just getting it to drive take your time and build it right. I had to do that this spring when I burned up my tranny on the way back from EJS. I didn't drive her for two months but instead of just rebuilding the tranny I went ahead and went for crate, for piece of mind and when I burned that one up 3 weeks ago and they replaced it I knew it was worth the extra time and money. I'm not saying you can get a rear end with a warranty but 14bff are bulletproof and cheap if you are patient. So save your money and do it right then you will be a lot happier with the result. Oh and now it isn't so much of a POS because I have fixed damn near everything on it.

Dave Cowley

14. milspecjimmy

wow, or , ok ok ok i wont sell it. you are all going to hate me for this, but i just traded my 35" tires and 6 lug wheels for a 14 ff, and a d60, both ready to go on, i need to change the seale and oil for good luck, and i also need to figure out what gear ratio they are. but i can do that when i take the covers off. so i had 350 in the tires, and this guy said if i had some big aggresive tires and wheels hed trade, so i said sure but i cant do it right now cause ill have nothing to put the truck on. he gave me 4 tires to put on my 15x8's, and mounted them for me. then he said if i wanted some tires and 8 lug wheels he would give them to me. i was like ok. there a little small for a truck with a lift but there 8 lug 16" chrome wheels, and NEW street tires, like 245 75R16. i love deals /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

try out a 12 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, mines work'n for me.
    since i blew the 10 bolt.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Why go 12 when ya can go 14 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. tRustyK5

I fragged my 12 bolt backing out of a parking space... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'll stick with my D60 and 14 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

18. milspecjimmy

i am picking up my 60/14 at 1 pm today
    ill let you know when there in. any one know hte part # for the rear conversion joint?

19. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    347 or 448 at NAPA

20. milspecjimmy

no offense but the napa ones SUCK, got the spicer # by any chance?