Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the TRUTH about urethane motor mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Feb 22, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have gotten many conflicting opinions on running urethane motor mounts.. some people say it will transfer vibration into the frame, some say they are only for special applications, blah blah.. Well I have urethane everything and when I bought all them parts, I needed motor mounts too so duh I wasnt going to buy lame rubber mounts (that are also probably more expensive than the urethane ones) ...... Well Ive got them sitting on the shelf and Ill be fitting them into the motor mount shell soon but what Im wondering is does anyone here actually have experience with them? Im not really interested in hear-say, ive heard enough of that :) .. not to be rude but I want first hand accounts, if possible.. Either way- I AM going to run them, I just want to know what to expect.. like I said, a lot of people who I know and would trust, have been giving me different stories. The motor is definately balanced so that is not an issue... anyone? anyone?

mike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I run them on mine and they work great for me and a buddy has had them on his Blazer for years with no problems...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I ran them on my Camaro after repeatedly pulling the rubber mounts apart due to rotational torque. I didn't feel any difference in vibration to be honest and I never broke any more mounts. (shrugs) So I'd do it again!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What's up Mike!?

I can't tell you anything about urathane mouts but I can tell you that my solid motor and trans mounts on my Chevelle transfer everything, including torque.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

5. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I have been running them over 2 years and they work great. I didn't notice any more or less vibration. I just figured that if I was replacing them, I would upgrade at the same time.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well i've "HEARD" that they transfer too much vibration to...............J/K[​IMG]

What's up buddy? Just wanted to say Hi I guess.[​IMG] BTW you going to TDS?

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

So Cal Big Dawgs are coming to a wheeling spot near you!!

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when i wanted them they didnt make them.
    at a trade show i got to talk to the rep in their booth.
    he informed me that although there was a demand they wouldnt make motor mounts.
    he said the urethane, though oil and chemical resistant, did not stand up to the heat (exhaust system ??)
    of course a few years later everyone is selling them.
    good to hear some 'i got em' stories.
    the vibration thing seems odd as they can make the bushing as rigid or soft as they want.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would have to put my motor back together and get it out of the pass. seat before i could put them in to tell you about them, but i got some....
    they look nice in the box.
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

mine are a purdy red color that matches nicely with Chevy orange red...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have run them and am pretty impartial. If you have them, use them. I don't think that much more vibration can be felt, but none of my applications have been ment to ride and idle like a caddy. I'm still really partial to to one solid motor mount and one regular. Have had zero problems there with breakage.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i like mine , the ORD ones , they are softer than when my motor was sitting on my frame cuz the littlie metal roda wer bent to heck heh heh heh

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292257869&show_all=1&start=1>wheeling and carnage pics</a>

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I've run them in multiple vehicles, with no problems and much better reliability. Only noticed more vibration in one vehicle (Thunderbird SC).

I would suggest that if you go with them, make sure you run the t-case mounts in urethane, too. I've "heard" that you can have torsional problems with mixing and matching materials.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I helped my bro-in-law do his clutch in his mustang...He put in a new flywheel and a poly trans mount (among other things). It had such a bad vibration that at all RPM and all speeds that he took it all apart again thinking that his new flywheel was out of ballance. After replacing the new flywheel with his old one the vibration was still there...swapped in the old rubber trans mount ===&gt; no mo vibrations. I think alot of it had to do with it being a uni-body.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

14. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I been running them for about 3 years now. The only thing I will say is if you put them in, get the poly tranny mount as well. I swapped just the motor mounts at first and the old wore out rubber tranny mount had to much give and broke the transmission to t case crossmember. Put in poly tranny mounts and no more problems. I love em.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>