Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The truth

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RockyRider13, Sep 27, 2002.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

I have been reading up on the posts from you guys and from what i've gathered the diesel engine lasts much longer (1/4 million miles) and takes less repairs than a gas motor. I've come to believe this, but my mechanic (a top notch gm man) and others bad mouth their rebility and toughness. My question is what problems they probably encountered. The weak stock rope seal or the cracks found in early blocks. I just am looking for the reasons why people may have had bad luck with diesels (pretty much why they aren't the uncontested toughest engine around!)

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think the cracks your refering to were with the heads and not the blocks. I think I still have the rope seal on mine and I have around 215,000 to 218,000 miles. Most people blow the rope seal when adding a turbo.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I've been a diesel mechanic for 17 years (buses). Gasser mechanics always criticize what they cannot work on. Plus if they spend a few minutes engaged in mindless banter about stuff they know little about they seem smarter, right? Are these the same sort of guys that would charge a woman 1000 bux for a brake job? I've seen that. Oh Dang! It's starting again!!! AAARGHHH

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

99.9% of mechanics and others who badmouth the 6.2L, in my personal experience, have had no clue as to what they were talking about.

Most think the 6.2L is a converted gas engine, which is completely false. The early 5.7L was based on a 350 block, and it had its share of problems in the first years, so it's tainted the reputation of nearly all GM diesels. The 6.2L was designed from the ground up by Detroit Diesel.

An awful lot of mechanics have no idea what they're doing when they're working on these things. From reading the experiences of others on various boards, it seems that way too many people don't know what they're doing, including dealers. A lack of knowledge on the diesels makes these mechanics frustrated, and their solution is to replace the engine with a gasser.

The 6.2L doesn't really have any inherent weaknesses or defects except for the following:

Head cracks, which most of the time are not fatal and easily repaired.

Block cracks near the main bearing webs. Again, not usually fatal.

Broken cranks, typically caused by bad harmonic balancers.

I don't think the crank failure is all that high. I've never experienced, or talked to anyone who personally has. I have read about it on various boards.

I think the 6.2L is an excellent engine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They're very robust and reliable.

Casey

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Before I bought my Burb, I asked just about everyone I knew (of automotive ilk) about the 6.2L diesel. Most people had heard from _sombody_ that it's a bad engine, some people started ranting about "those damn polluting diesels", and a few just gave an honest "I don't know". But out of all these people, _nobody_ actually had one. I think the best advice is what you get from somebody that actually has one - hence, I came to Colorado K5 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'll have had my 84 Burb 1 week tomorrow. I've put on about 500km this week. It has 267,000km on it, passes emissions testing, and has just as much jam as the weenie 350 TBI in my 1-ton crewcab - only with better economy!

I was weary about getting a rig that had been dubiously manitained. I felt regular maintenance was the key factor to ensure long engine life. I think most of the major problems with our diesels are a result of neglect and abuse.

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Arveetek has it exactly!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I've owned my diesel 'Burb for approx. 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. The only times I've had problems with the diesel are when inexperienced mechanics were given the privelidge to work on my truck. Those experiences have done the most to teach me how to DIY and have an engine that runs better than it ever has. If you can find one, a good GM diesel mechanic is a good ally and will help you keep your truck trouble free for a good long time/mileage. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Jon

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

My block just cracked last Wednesday. Piston let go and the con rod beat away at the cylinder wall and put two cracks the length of the cylinder wall. I never really was too keen on the 6.2, and now I am really not a believer in them. BTW, I had just under 200,000 miles on it.

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, not knowing your driving habits who can say why it went?

9. BlueBlazer

It was not the fault of the driver, when I first owned it, I drove it pretty hard, but for the last two years I have been pretty good to it, ive seen people beat the hell out of other motors in trucks of comparable size and not have a catastrophic failure. Like I said, I never really liked this motor much except for the mileage factor, and my hate for it is just now coming out since its basically left me without a vehicle.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if you properly maintained your 6.2? Yes, they are not perfect, but what engine IS? And what did you do with this engine? Seems you just got back from Attica and I know you go to Potosi and who knows what else you do locally? And what ratio are you running and how fast do you run with that size tire and ratio? An OFF ROAD Diesel may not last as long as one that is driven ON ROAD, eh? Get me some statistics on how "bad" the 6.2 are compared to the others. Otherwise, go fix it and stop whining!!

11. BlueBlazer

Tell me how you fix a cracked block, maybe Ill just pay someone a couple grand to do it for me like you did, or maybe not.

12. OFFRDK5

Yea, I will tell you how to fix it. Pull the engine. Get another 6.2 put it in.
    And why did your block crack? Could you have overworked your engine at some point? Or maybe not maintained it as it should be? Its not a gasser....they have to be treated with more respect.
    I knew something was going with mine. I could hear it after it came out of the lake. Did I whine and moan that "My Diesel let me down". No. I replaced the engine. Now go away.

13. BlueBlazer

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now go away

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre the one that responded to me first, so why would I go away?
    Yes, it was maintained very well, oil changes every 2-3 months, Ive been very easy on it for the last two years, ask the guys I went wheeling with in Attica. Another thing, why do you try to give me tips on how to treat a diesel engine, did you happen to look at my profile to see what im doing for an internship and future career right now, perhaps Cat hired me cause I dont know anything about diesels, but I highly doubt it. Hey, ask your mom if she'll buy a backup truck for me like she did for you, see, at my house I have to buy stuff on my own, so I cant just have a bunch of backup vehicles in case my main one breaks down, I do all this maintenance on it so it wont break down, apparently it didnt help.

14. OFFRDK5

Another thing, why do you try to give me tips on how to treat a diesel engine, did you happen to look at my profile to see what im doing for an internship and future career right now

[/ QUOTE ]

If your maintenance does that to engines I don't want you near mine.

Hey, ask your mom if she'll buy a backup truck for me like she did for you

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask her to buy it for me and it was long before I got my K5 or even thought about getting a K5. And my S10-4x4 is an off-road vehicle as well. Got over 120,000 on it now and still going strong.

You want to sit down at start comparing budgets? We will see who has what.

15. BlueBlazer

Sorry you guys all had to see this, I should have just let Nick have his fun and not replied to him at all, Im taking the high road and leaving this topic alone.

16. OFFRDK5

Well now your engines f**ked so go spend 5 grand or what ever your going to pay for the cummins to make yourself happy. - Tybee

[/ QUOTE ] You go and take the high road. I am going to take the low road and find me some mud and FUN!!

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I find it unbelievable how much you THINK you know about diesels......should I spend a couple of hours going through the archives and pull up all the stupid stuff you've said on this board?

You come off like you're a diesel expert. Please keep in mind that you're not. Reading through your cocky replies makes me regret the fact that I ever helped you out when you started coming around here........y'know, back before you even had a diesel.

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There are a couple of other weak links in a 6.2-

1. 6.2s use a vacuum pump since they don't generate vacuum themselves. The pump is located in the same spot as the distributor in a gasser. A lot of guys I know(including myself) have had to replace the vacuum pump around 150k-200k. The R&amp;R isn't the problem- it can be pulled and replaced in a 1/2 hour. However, the pump itself is made by Lucas and is not available as an aftermarket product. Last I checked the dealer was charging around $400 CDN(around $250 USD). This was a couple of years ago, so the price may have changed.

2. Diesel fuel in most of North America is now "low-sulphur"(generally less than .05% per volume). 10 years ago, diesel fuel was high in sulphur. Keep in mind that sulphur has a high lubricity level, which kept seals and pumps well lubed. If you run low-sulphur fuel, using a quality diesel fuel conditioner is a must. I recommend Stanadyne. The injection pump in a 6.2 is made by Stanadyne so it makes sense to use a product manufactured by the maker of the pump you run. I have a good friend who is a GM diesel tech and he's seen more pumps fail simply because the owner was too cheap to buy fuel conditioner and run it through the system on a regular basis.

I hope this helps, brother.
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The replacement vacuum pumps can be found in aftermarket. A new one from my local auto parts store runs about $150. I just a bought a brand new one from a place on-line for $40.

Casey